Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/08/2006, 12:50 AM
Always Learning

Are ASM skimmers any good?

I am looking into a ASM G-4 and wanted to know if they are any good. Euro- Reef and Deltec were the other two companies I was looking at, but ASM is much cheaper. Is it worth the money to buy a Euro-Reef or is ASM just a great buy?

Patience is the best remedy for every trouble.
Titus Maccius Plautus (254 BC - 184 BC), Rudens
Old 07/08/2006, 03:30 AM
Registered Member

i have an ASM G1x and it works great. pulls out alot of skimmate. they are similar to the euro reef but much cheaper because they are made with lesser quality plastic. not really a big deal imo. i would recommend an ASM.
Old 07/08/2006, 04:21 AM
ThingThatShouldNotBe

I had an ASM on my 90gallon for a long time, and never had any complaints. Really pulled out the skimmate!
Old 07/08/2006, 05:06 AM
Word

Heres a good thread on asm skimmers.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1
Old 07/08/2006, 05:43 AM
King of the Apes

Quote:
Originally posted by reefNetWork
i have an ASM G1x and it works great. pulls out alot of skimmate. they are similar to the euro reef but much cheaper because they are made with lesser quality plastic. not really a big deal imo. i would recommend an ASM.

I think ASM's are cheaper because they decide to be; as a targetting technique.

The plastics may not be "of quality", but that won't make up the huge price difference between the two companies.

Even with that said, ASM's are still expensive for a piece of a plastic with a pre-manf. pump (this is just a cynical stance on products in general).

My G-2 has done fair on my 90g BB. I will be replacing it, however, with a much stronger skimmer. (Probably MRC MR-2)
Old 07/08/2006, 05:58 AM
Registered Member

ASM G1-X

What a difference when I switched to an ASM G1-X servicing my 55g. I didn't do anything to break it in; it just worked great from Day 1. See pictures here:

http://www.shopwithjean.com/equipment.htm

and here:

http://www.shopwithjean.com/skimmer.htm
Old 07/08/2006, 07:18 AM
Premium Member

I used a ASM G3 on my 90 for about a year. As long as you don't have a huge bio-load or choose to keep Anthias where your feeding regimen is frequent it works pretty well.

Good Luck
Old 07/08/2006, 07:57 AM
Registered Member

Ive heard ASMs are very good. I wouldnt swap out my ER for one though. I got a blem that was priced less than an ASM too. Deltecs are supposed to be awsome but outta my price range.

-mike-
Old 07/08/2006, 01:25 PM
Always Learning

The bioload won't be light and 7 dispar anthias are in the works. I have been considering a MRC Beckett, but the pump would be expensive to run. Although if it could pull out some really good skimmate then it would be worth it. I just don't want to run into the problem of having the skimmer not be powerful enough then having to replace it.

Old 07/08/2006, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

I run two g3's on my 200. I run one dry and one wet. I love them. i have had a few brands and I think that they are about 85% of what their high end competitors are.
Old 07/08/2006, 03:18 PM

Get the g4+ The sedra 9000 is a much better pump on the body size. I was impressed with the performance increase.
Old 07/08/2006, 06:46 PM
Always Learning

The G-4+ is the model I have been looking at. They seem like a good deal and a lot of people run them on their systems. But because I am again upgrading the skimmer on my 110 I don't want to do it again. I need a skimmer that will really be able to pull crud out of the water. Any comparison between the ASM and another skimmer would help to put things in perspective. Also if anyone had a picture of their ASM in action it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07/08/2006, 07:33 PM
Team RC Member

this is my new G6 14 hours after plugging it in

its been about 3 weeks and the skimmate has only gotten darker. i get a full cup everyday.

my last skimmer was a duel beckett that was a little under sized but i think this skimmer(g6) gives a more consistent skimate

------------------------------------------------
Old 07/08/2006, 11:08 PM
Generic Member

ASMs are good skimmers, and a great bang for the $. There is a lot of talk about the Reef Octopus skimmers. They are supposed to be better performing, better built and have better pumps than ASM at a lower cost. They are available as a standard needlewheel and recirculating versions. Check out this thread
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=866254
Old 07/08/2006, 11:16 PM
Registered Member

I have an ASM G3 It is the best skimmer I have ever owned. It works flawlwssly and I never have to mess with it. Dark, foul, funky smelling skimate. Lots of it.
Old 07/08/2006, 11:19 PM
out of work reefer...

Ialso got a g6 and like it
Old 07/08/2006, 11:26 PM
THE NAZGUL

I found my G4X to be a great skimmer, but even with the sedra 9000 I would say it is a little underpowered. My only comparison is a Euro-reef cs6 which seems to have a lot more bubbles per size of the chamber when compared to the ASM. I may add another sedra 9000 as a recirculating mod. Either way though im pleased with the ASM, for the money it does a good job.
Old 07/08/2006, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

I have the G-2 on an extremely high bioload 55 gallon, and it works great! I would get another one if I had to!
Old 07/08/2006, 11:57 PM
Bimmer Fanatic

Im sorry this is kinda off subject but I have a question. I have a ccs 125 and the stuff I am pulling out right now looks like mbbuna's, now I just set up the tank so there probably isnt much "crap" in it, but should it be more brown looking, I am skimming wet by the way.

*-Semper Fi-*

The Few,
The Proud,
The Marines!
Old 07/09/2006, 12:02 AM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by sjm817
ASMs are good skimmers, and a great bang for the $. There is a lot of talk about the Reef Octopus skimmers. They are supposed to be better performing, better built and have better pumps than ASM at a lower cost. They are available as a standard needlewheel and recirculating versions. Check out this thread
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=866254
I couldnt agree more.

THe Reef octopus skimmers are better skimmers (than even the Euroreefs) and much cheaper than the ASMs.
Old 07/09/2006, 12:25 AM
4 8 15 16 23 42

I bought an ASM G-1X for my 40g setup. I was so pleased with it that I decided to buy a G3 in anticipation of my 120g upgrade... I used it to cook rock for a few months before the upgrade. Instead of getting the 120g, I went to a 180g. I sold the G3 and bought a THIRD ASM skimmer (G-4X).

I am very pleased with the quality and performance of these skimmers. You can get a very very good skimmer for not a whole lot of money.
Old 07/09/2006, 01:00 AM
Registered Member

You surely can !!!
Old 07/09/2006, 04:22 PM
Always Learning

mbbuna- Thanks for the pics.

I am gald to see so many people endorse this skimmer. After the comments I will also be looking into the Octopus skimmer as well. Looks like I can't go wrong with the bang for the buck this skimmer provides.

Old 07/09/2006, 11:31 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Salty Brother
Im sorry this is kinda off subject but I have a question. I have a ccs 125 and the stuff I am pulling out right now looks like mbbuna's, now I just set up the tank so there probably isnt much "crap" in it, but should it be more brown looking, I am skimming wet by the way.
this skimmer is still new and breaking in ,so im skimming wet(light color). i dont think i will change anything untill i do the recirculating mod

Old 07/09/2006, 11:34 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TurboSnail8898
mbbuna- Thanks for the pics.
your welcome

IMO it works very well. for the $ you cant go wrong