Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/08/2006, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

New corals today: How do I feed them? Doughnut, Frogspawn

Got 4 new corals today. Mushrooms, Candycane, Frogspawn, and a doughnut. From reading on liveaquaria.com it suggests I feed the frogspawn and doughnut coral brine shrimp. I dose the tank with kent phytopelx i thought that would be enough but I would like to feed the coral enough to keep it happy enough to maximize growth. Any ideas on if this is necessary to feed bring shimp and HOW am I to do it? Also should it be live or frozen?
Old 07/08/2006, 10:25 PM
THE NAZGUL

I have had frogspawns, candycanes and mushrooms for more than a few years in my tank and i have never fed them directly. im not sure about the doughnut, but the others will be fine with out feeding, and in fact adding things like phytoplex, and coral feeding products will more than likely cause more harm then good. Stick with good lighting, plenty of water flow and good water quality. if you must, i advise using the phyto sparingly.
Old 07/08/2006, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

well first off they dont need to be fed much for that they get enough from the light to live on their own. To maximize growth i'd feed any with the exception of the mushrooms brine or mysis. the mushroom dont feed the same way as the others do. candy cane and the doughnut corals that you have listed send out sweeper tenticles, they are quite short on either or so you really need to spot feed them. the frog spawn will take anything that it touches so if you feed the tank odds are its going to get something.
Old 07/08/2006, 10:29 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
try reefroids...

finsreef is the usa distributer....http://www.finsreef.com/home.php

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 07/08/2006, 11:13 PM
Registered Member

Whoops, I use a lot of the phyto about 3 times a week according to the bottle. A capful. The pulsing Xenia go crazy when I drop it in and can really target the area its in.

Quote:
Originally posted by staticfishmonger
I have had frogspawns, candycanes and mushrooms for more than a few years in my tank and i have never fed them directly. im not sure about the doughnut, but the others will be fine with out feeding, and in fact adding things like phytoplex, and coral feeding products will more than likely cause more harm then good. Stick with good lighting, plenty of water flow and good water quality. if you must, i advise using the phyto sparingly.
Old 07/08/2006, 11:14 PM
Registered Member

First night with the doughnut coral and its completely recessed as soon as the lightgs went out and my moon lights came on and all I see is the stony skeleton. I thought they would grow bigger and let out tentacles at night.

Quote:
Originally posted by masterqaz
well first off they dont need to be fed much for that they get enough from the light to live on their own. To maximize growth i'd feed any with the exception of the mushrooms brine or mysis. the mushroom dont feed the same way as the others do. candy cane and the doughnut corals that you have listed send out sweeper tenticles, they are quite short on either or so you really need to spot feed them. the frog spawn will take anything that it touches so if you feed the tank odds are its going to get something.
Old 07/08/2006, 11:18 PM
THE NAZGUL

whatever works for you.... as long as you monitor water quality and or keep up with water changes you should be fine. i prefer to feed less in my tanks, and i will say my corals are growing plenty fast for me. the frogspawn which started at about 4 heads is now pushing 60 heads. and the candycane is up around 40 heads. both were bought as frags and have been in the tank about 2½ years.
Old 07/08/2006, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

wow well I only have a 24 gallon so those many heads and my tank would overflow. I wish I knew more about sumps etc and what the point of them is as well as what the components are and how to build one so in the future when I make a bigger tank I can have one. Let me know of any resources if you know of them.

Quote:
Originally posted by staticfishmonger
whatever works for you.... as long as you monitor water quality and or keep up with water changes you should be fine. i prefer to feed less in my tanks, and i will say my corals are growing plenty fast for me. the frogspawn which started at about 4 heads is now pushing 60 heads. and the candycane is up around 40 heads. both were bought as frags and have been in the tank about 2½ years.
Old 07/09/2006, 12:19 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aquapod
First night with the doughnut coral and its completely recessed as soon as the lightgs went out and my moon lights came on and all I see is the stony skeleton. I thought they would grow bigger and let out tentacles at night.
thats just the first night (still stressed out) they generally stay fairly large during the night, the sweepers come out from all around the mouth in the center they should be around 1/4 1/2 in lenght.
Old 07/09/2006, 12:26 AM
4 8 15 16 23 42

I don't feed my LPS anything.
Old 07/09/2006, 12:38 AM
Registered Member

I have a candycane coral,a frogspawn coral, and a doughnut coral and I do not spot feed any of them. My corals are growing fast, especially the doughnut coral which is huge. I assume that they are getting fed every time I feed the tank. I wouldn't worry too much about the doughnut coral just yet. It's only the first night. They can be a bit touchy. If I upset him in any way, such as just move him over a little bit, he remains mad and closed up for the rest of the day and evening but recovers nicely by the next day with full extension. Give it some time.

Marinemom
Old 07/09/2006, 10:49 PM
THE NAZGUL

if your looking for info on sumps and plumbing designs check out this site.

Melev's Reef
Old 07/09/2006, 11:25 PM
Purveyor of Misguidance

If you care to do it, the doughnut coral (Cynarina sp. I am assuming) will accept larger pieces of meaty food. Some frogspawn specimens will accept the same, as well. They don't necessarily have to be fed, but IME, it may increase growth and overall vigor in some circumstances.