Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/18/2003, 08:48 AM
Not just a reefer anymore

cheap 13W PC

I was looking into building a 10 gallon nano and looking around the home depot for lights when I got an idea... Now this might be known common practice, but I didnt find any info on it in a search so maybe I have breaking news? Probably not... They sell round ceiling lights that use 4300K 13W PC bulbs. And home depot had one that had 3 bulbs in it. It had an electronic ballast running all three bulbs. Now obviously these bulbs are too yellow for a tank, but hello lights sells 13W PC bulbs that fit in these sockets. So for 15 bucks you too can have an electronic ballast and sockets to fire 3 13W bulbs. I found that exciting, just thought I would share.
Old 04/18/2003, 10:24 AM
Not just a reefer anymore

Im starting to think I really should have put this in the nano forum...
Old 04/18/2003, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

Hehe, I'm sure the nano ppl could've helped you out.
So could've nano-reefs.com

But since you posted here...

You might want to consider the 13W Bayco work lights. Their in a yellow self sealed enclosure, and I think had like 65k lamps in them.

I think they might not fire the hellolights bulbs and may not fire any 13 w bulbs on the market. Your gonna have to look them up as I've never tried them.

I use desk lamps to supplement my MH, and they fire the hellolights 13w actinic bulbs no problem.

I believe the small Flourescent ballasts (15w but not sure) also fire 13w PC bulbs. So you might want to look into that. I believe you dont really need a socket. Just connect a couple wires directly to the pins or make your own.