Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2008, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

Light Question

Ok as you all know im on a tight budget for my SW tank. I have found Shop Light Fixtures, that are for T12(its rated i do believe for bulbs up to 75 watts i just cant find the right T12 bulbs in 75 watt versions) Bulbs for about 11 dollars each. there are Stainless steel(no rusting). Here is my Idea, If i get 2 of these Fixtures(4 bulbs total) and Use the following Bulbs in them do you think i could keep some Lower light corals such as Zoa's and Leathers and Mushrooms. Here are the bulbs i am planing on.

Two of these:Coralife 40 Watt Actinic 03 T12 Fluorescent Lamp (48 Inch)

Manufacturer: Coralife
The Coralife Actinic 03 Blue lamp is a 100% blue actinic 03 phosphor that peaks at 420 nanometers. Lighting with a higher blue component better simulates the softer shades of dusk, dawn and the blue hue of deeper water. Additionally, many marine invertebrates depend on blue light, the wavelength that most deeply penetrates water.

And Two Of These: Coralife 40 Watt 20,000K T12 Fluorescent Lamp (48 Inch)

Manufacturer: Coralife
The Coralife 20,000 Kelvin fluorescent lamp is a high-intensity purified super daylight lamp that simulates the deeper ocean environment. Casting sparkling blue daylight rays, fish, coral, and macro algae thrive in the light. This is the ultimate fluorescent lamp for deep water aquariums. The Coralife 20,000 Kelvin rapid-start lamp is compatible with all standard and electronic ballasts.

I know Shop Light Fixtures are less than Ideal but i cant afford Hundreds on a fixture, and this way EVEN with the bulbs it comes in at under 100.00. What i want to know is does anyone see any reason why it wouldn't work with the Bulbs i listed above??

Freedom Must occasionally be renewed with the blood of patriots-General Patton

Last edited by Vinnie71975; 01/09/2008 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:28 PM
Registered Member

Are these lights going over your 20g? If so arent they kinda long?
For a hundred bucks you can get a compact florescent system instead w/bulbs or even some kind of metal halide or t5. Arent 20g longs only 24"? Anyways, regular florescents will work for some softies, shroomz, and zoas, but none will reach their full potential. Check aquatraders.com or ebay for cheap aquarium lighting
Old 01/09/2008, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Neptune420
Are these lights going over your 20g? If so arent they kinda long?
For a hundred bucks you can get a compact florescent system instead w/bulbs or even some kind of metal halide or t5. Arent 20g longs only 24"? Anyways, regular florescents will work for some softies, shroomz, and zoas, but none will reach their full potential. Check aquatraders.com or ebay for cheap aquarium lighting
Oh sorry No this is going over my new 55g tank that i am going to be piecing together! sorry bout the confusion there!

Old 01/09/2008, 11:45 PM
Registered Member

Bump Any input is greatly appricated!

Old 01/10/2008, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

Hoping the experts on corals chime in here, i need to know if this idea will work or not!

Old 01/10/2008, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

It should work for Zoas, mushrooms and some leathers but why not spend a little more and buy a used system. I have a 2x175 MH and 2x55w PC with reflectors, PFO duel 175 ballist, and 2 older 14k MH bulbs and 4 or 5 older PC bulbs for 120.00 +shipping. Bulbs may need to be replaced some time but they would stay brighter than T-12s for a long time
Old 01/10/2008, 04:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by silvers
It should work for Zoas, mushrooms and some leathers but why not spend a little more and buy a used system. I have a 2x175 MH and 2x55w PC with reflectors, PFO duel 175 ballist, and 2 older 14k MH bulbs and 4 or 5 older PC bulbs for 120.00 +shipping. Bulbs may need to be replaced some time but they would stay brighter than T-12s for a long time
T12 uses FAR less Power to run is another big factor in why i wont get MH, i cant afford the power bill to run them. And i have to spend as little as possible, im on an almost non existent budget for hardware.