Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/14/2007, 08:38 AM
Reefneck.

Patsan, that is the cutest puppy ever!!!!!

~Becca
Old 03/14/2007, 08:41 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jmait769
Oh oh. The tank is on the back burner! Very cute!

Jay
Ever since I sold my tank, I pretty much stayed away from Bob's. He does things different than the way I like, so rather than get upset with things, I let him do his thing. If I were taking care of the tank, I certainly would be doing things differently.
I've made some suggestions to him, but he doesn't hear......so I mind my own business now.
Old 03/14/2007, 08:51 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cowboyswife
Patsan, that is the cutest puppy ever!!!!!
Thanks Becca, she really is so cute and so good. She gets along so well with my other one. They play almost all day long.

Old 03/14/2007, 02:36 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Cute puppy Pat!

I've been very busy with breeding inverts so my tank has been neglected of sorts. But I still have one rock dominated by TBS hitchhikers and they are looking better than ever about 15 months after getting the rock.

The Manicina are doing fabulous now that I feed them twice a week. I am getting ready to start breeding them actually!

I've even had a resurgance of many of the tunicates that were originally on the rock, I have a nice patch of orange ones growing well now and sponge is everywhere on the underside of the rocks.

Brian
Old 03/14/2007, 03:03 PM
Premium Member

I've also had a bunch of tunicates re-grow. Pretty purple ones.
Old 03/14/2007, 04:23 PM
Reefneck.

Those are the cutest pics Ive ever seen!! I seriously said Awwwwwwwwwww out loud!

~Becca
Old 03/14/2007, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

just thought i'd see if the thread was still active. it was dead for awhile. my 3 tanks are still going strong and my next door neighbor is now hooked with his 1st reef tank.pat, cute new addition. bob
Old 03/14/2007, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

What kind of dog is that?
Old 03/15/2007, 03:42 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bobt2
just thought i'd see if the thread was still active. it was dead for awhile. my 3 tanks are still going strong and my next door neighbor is now hooked with his 1st reef tank.pat, cute new addition. bob
That's great! Did he get TBS for it?
Old 03/15/2007, 03:42 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mosesbrown
What kind of dog is that?
'

Maltese
Old 03/15/2007, 06:47 AM
Registered Member

no pat, he got the rock from pw. but all his corals and his bta are from my tanks. my bta has split 12x over a full year. i,ve been having lots of fun with the fragging.i think the next step is to get a LARGE tank and combine some of the smaller ones.
Old 03/15/2007, 06:59 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bobt2
i think the next step is to get a LARGE tank and combine some of the smaller ones.
There ya go!! Go for it.....you love it so much.
Old 03/22/2007, 11:30 PM
the cattleman

Has anyone had a problem with their hermits eating snails or tiger tail cucumbers? In Dr. Shimek's book on invertebrates, he says hermits will pick on tiger tails.
PO4=0ppm, ideal

1/06/08 after a water change
Ca= 480ppm, still a little high
pH= 8.2, I'd like it at 8.3
NO3= 10ppm, acceptable
Old 03/23/2007, 05:45 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by the cattleman
Has anyone had a problem with their hermits eating snails or tiger tail cucumbers? In Dr. Shimek's book on invertebrates, he says hermits will pick on tiger tails.
Sadly, my cukes never lasted more than a few weeks (if I am remembering correctly), so I couldn't tell you.
I can tell you the hermits were all over the place though. I've never replaced any of them, and over 2 years later, there are still lots of them in the tank.
Old 03/23/2007, 06:32 AM
Premium Member

Hi Pat. I haven't been in here in a long time. Had a major crash a few months ago and lost about 80% of everything. I was ready to quit for now, but my daughter still asks to see the fishies so I couldn't. I have next to nothing in the tank now other then 1 yellow tang. I'm sure that will cause me problems once I go to add more fish. Have about 6 SPS ( that's why nothing in the mail Pat ) left and they're just starting to recover fully and start growing again, 1 Frogspawn and 1 Torch. Not really sure what happened. Only thing I can think of is that something died and released some toxin in the water that wasn't picked up in any testing I was doing. Can't believe the clams made it through.

What upsets me is all those Montis I had growing like crazy died. Superman, Sunset, Rainbow, some unknown ones. All gone.
Old 03/23/2007, 07:03 AM
Premium Member

So sorry to hear than Brian. You had such gorgeous stuff in that tank too! I guess you'll never know what caused the crash, but it's nice to see you're continuing with it.
All the TBS stayed alive?
Old 03/23/2007, 07:11 AM
Premium Member

I took some of the rock out as it started to look bad for the sponges and have probably only half the rock left. But like you and Brian, I have tunicates and sponges growing like crazy on the undersides of what's left now. Most of the coral that came on the rock are still there too. Not sure how that happened!

I'm actually considering getting some more rock and curing it in some tubs for now and adding it to the tank to fill in the gaps.

What really bothers me is the fish I lost. I had a beautiful ( to me atleast ) Tomini Tang and Scribbled Rabbitfish that were buddies. They both died as well as my little group of Anthias.
Old 03/23/2007, 07:31 AM
Premium Member

That really stinks Brian. I thought my algae problem was bad but having the tank crash is much worse.

Cattleman: I still have my cukes but snails are a different story. The hermits eat them like candy.
Old 03/23/2007, 08:19 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bkelley02
I took some of the rock out as it started to look bad for the sponges and have probably only half the rock left. But like you and Brian, I have tunicates and sponges growing like crazy on the undersides of what's left now. Most of the coral that came on the rock are still there too. Not sure how that happened!

I'm actually considering getting some more rock and curing it in some tubs for now and adding it to the tank to fill in the gaps.

What really bothers me is the fish I lost. I had a beautiful ( to me atleast ) Tomini Tang and Scribbled Rabbitfish that were buddies. They both died as well as my little group of Anthias.
Yeah, I'd be bothered about the fish also.
Old 03/23/2007, 08:20 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drk70
That really stinks Brian. I thought my algae problem was bad but having the tank crash is much worse.

Cattleman: I still have my cukes but snails are a different story. The hermits eat them like candy.
You still have your cukes? What the heck did I do wrong then? Out of the 4 I got.....1 perished within a week, the other within 2-3 weeks, and the others a couple of weeks after that I think.
Old 03/23/2007, 09:19 AM
Premium Member

Brian- So sorry to hear about the tank. Wow your daughter has sure gotten big....what a cutie!

Pat- my cukes didn't last long either. I still have tons of hermits and my pistol shrimp though

As for my tank:
I've been battling some algae that I think resulted from me not changing RO/DI cartridges fast enough. We moved and went from pretty decent city water to well water so my cartridges are probably working a bit harder now. But it's slowly improving. I'm hoping to add some more corals to replace the frogspawn and hammer I lost in the move but it's much tougher for me to order corals now with our more rural location.
Old 03/23/2007, 11:50 AM
Premium Member

Thanks Danielle. That was from October and she's gotten much bigger since then.

For some reason, my cukes have made it through the crash as well. So, almost 2 years and still alive.
Old 03/23/2007, 12:03 PM
RC Sponsor

cukes are tough!

Quote:
Originally posted by bkelley02
Thanks Danielle. That was from October and she's gotten much bigger since then.

For some reason, my cukes have made it through the crash as well. So, almost 2 years and still alive.
Cukes are really tough.....most of the time folks toss them thinking they are on the way out because they shed a lot after shipping...or they get tossed because after arrival they can take up to two weeks to acclimate and start moving around.

When a cuke dies, is easy to tell, the literally turn to a pile of white snot looking stuff.....otherwise they are ok, and just doing their thing!

Richard TBS
Watching the wind blow.....
Old 03/23/2007, 12:09 PM
Premium Member

I sure am glad I haven't seen any white snot in my tank then!
Old 03/23/2007, 12:12 PM
Premium Member

Re: cukes are tough!

Quote:
Originally posted by liverock
Cukes are really tough.....most of the time folks toss them thinking they are on the way out because they shed a lot after shipping...or they get tossed because after arrival they can take up to two weeks to acclimate and start moving around.

When a cuke dies, is easy to tell, the literally turn to a pile of white snot looking stuff.....otherwise they are ok, and just doing their thing!

Richard TBS
Watching the wind blow.....
I never tossed mine, they just disappeared. I haven't seen them since about a month after they went into the tank.