Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/21/2006, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

INVASION OF THE...errr...starfish parts?

Noticed these little guys the last month or two. Then today I saw about 7 of them on my rocks.
At first I thought it was some baby starfish that had lost a few legs but now I'm not so sure.
They aren't very big, less than .5". I haven't noticed any coral damage either...

Any ideas?

Old 09/21/2006, 11:56 AM
Registered Member

They're very common. its a sign of good tank health too. they wont grow much larger than that though, but at the same time shouldnt effect your other livestock.
Old 09/21/2006, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

Always good to hear. So they are starfish?
Old 09/21/2006, 12:21 PM
This Space for Rent

Location: Sitting on a park bench...eyeing college girls with bad intent.
yup...astrea stars...i think, or sometinhg like that. you see one or two, then before you know it there are hundreds.
Old 09/21/2006, 02:48 PM
Registered Member

It is actually pretty rare that you will see a fully formed one, almost all mine look funky.

Rian
Old 09/22/2006, 02:49 PM
Premium Member

I have seen one with seven arms. The LFS says to remove them as they will feed on corals...I think they are cool, and have left the 5 or 6 I've spotted alone. I'll start removing them when they start in on my corals.
Old 09/22/2006, 02:53 PM
Well... You know...

Some are coral eaters. Very few though. Most are harmless algae eaters. And they are called astrina stars. You were close phenom5
so you can maintain a lifestyle
that insults his family's existence
Old 09/22/2006, 03:04 PM
This Space for Rent

Location: Sitting on a park bench...eyeing college girls with bad intent.
Quote:
And they are called astrina stars. You were close phenom5
i knew it was something like that...thanks.
Old 09/22/2006, 04:28 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Those are Asterina Starfish. They are a prolific breeder. They usually multiply by division. This is why it is rather uncommon to see a whole one. They don't get much bigger than 1" across tops. Most species eat coralline algae and detritus, but some will eat coral tissue. Without a microscopic examination, there is no true way to tell the species. They often have anywhere from 4-7 legs. Most common is the 5 and 6 legs.

Old 09/22/2006, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Those are Asterina Starfish. They are a prolific breeder. They usually multiply by division. This is why it is rather uncommon to see a whole one. They don't get much bigger than 1" across tops. Most species eat coralline algae and detritus, but some will eat coral tissue. Without a microscopic examination, there is no true way to tell the species. They often have anywhere from 4-7 legs. Most common is the 5 and 6 legs.
Excellent comment

The issue I have had with them twice over the past 10 years is the rate in which they breed, or split. The first time I had themmy LFS said they were good. After 6 months I had hundreds and was starting to have SPS die off.

I have found that once the numbers get out of control they will look to alternative foods sources, in my case it was the base of my SPS and if it was a frag gorget about it.

I just went through another case fo them, both times a pair of harlequin shrimp did the trick in about 4 weeks.
Old 09/22/2006, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Excellent comment

The issue I have had with them twice over the past 10 years is the rate in which they breed, or split. The first time I had them my LFS said they were good. After 6 months I had hundreds and was starting to have SPS die off.

I have found that once the numbers get out of control they will look to alternative foods sources, in my case it was the base of my SPS and if it was a frag forget about it.

I just went through another case of them, both times a pair of harlequin shrimp did the trick in about 4 weeks.
Old 09/22/2006, 05:29 PM
Always Learning

I have them all over my 27. I started counting them in the beginning when there were only about ten of them. Now there are over a hundred. I'm glad to know what they are.

Patience is the best remedy for every trouble.
Titus Maccius Plautus (254 BC - 184 BC), Rudens
Old 09/22/2006, 08:33 PM
Registered Member

I think those things are really cool. I have a bunch in my tank and fuge, but nothing close to a infestation. I always just thought they were mutent starfish from the excess levles of radon gas in my basement fishroom. Asexual reproduction in a starfish, who'd of thunk it?