Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/18/2006, 01:51 PM
Premium Member

Aiptasia control with Berghia nudibranchs

I recently have had an invasion of aiptasia in my tank that seemed to just explode overnight. By using Joe's Juice and kalk paste, I have attempted to keep the numbers under control; however, the aiptasia have taken quite a hold in my tank, in the overflows and in the sump. Joe's Juice "seems" to get rid of them, but I actually think it causes them to "semi-decompose" and then the pieces regenerate. Nevertheless, I was desperate.

I began looking at other alternatives and decided to try the berghia nudibranchs. Yesterday, I received 7 berghia nudibranchs from www.berghia.net. After slow acclimation and following the detailed directions on their web site, I added them to my 175 gallon tank. The directions say to place them all in the same location so I chose a place with a large number of aiptasia of all sizes. They are difficult to work with due to their small size, but I mastered a technique to get them from the plastic bag, into the tank, and onto the rocks. They adhered to the rocks and worked their way to the aiptasia and immediately started nibbling at the tentacles and body of the aiptasia. Needless to say, I was very excited!

It is my hope that the berghia will reproduce and continue with the removal of the aiptasia from my tank. It will probably be a slow process, but nothing else has been successful.
If anyone is interested, I will provide updates as to the progress of the nudibranchs against the aiptasia. Also, if anyone needs advice, just ask, and I will try to help. The berghia are expensive, but if they work, they are definitely worth the cost and effort.

Thanks,
James
Old 08/18/2006, 02:02 PM
Dolphins at Seaworld

Good luck, I'm sure those things are going to be starving in no time. I think Calfo said the big ones can eat one a day. When you're done eradicting the aipistasia in your tank, I'd like to buy or trade for them.
Old 08/18/2006, 02:11 PM
Registered Member

Well I think the hard part is over...that is actually obtaining the nudi's...hope it goes well for you..
Old 08/18/2006, 02:25 PM
I'm all wet!

I found one in my tank, The main forum has some neat tricks on what to try. Hot water, Vinegar,Kalk and a bunch of other stuff. I think I am going to take the rock out and try to scrape it and kill it with some vinegar.

Its Only $100 Dollars dear....
Old 08/18/2006, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

Poor aiptasia what did they ever do to you

Good luck with the Berghia's! I read that they are very effective but starve very quickly when they have done there job and rid the aiptasia. But i guess thats what there for.

When I was a newbie and had an aiptasia I thought it was cool and would feed it daily. Big mistake, turned into monters and spread like wildfire. Oh the good old days before i discovered RC.

Keep us updated.
Old 08/18/2006, 03:13 PM
Premium Member

James, I'm definitely interested. As you may have seen in another thread, I can't get rid of the new @#$%**#@ aiptasia either. I've tried all the other methods, pretty much, except for peppermint shrimp and copperband butterflies. I too suspect what I've been doing has probably spread the problem rather than reduce it. My question, though, and I think you would know since I believe you said you had RBTAs also, is that are the berghias harmful to them too or only aiptasia? If not, I'd be interested in buying some from you once they've done a number on your tank.
Old 08/18/2006, 04:24 PM
I'm all wet!

See the thing is they may eat them all but they wont eradicate them... More then likely they will grow back.

Old 08/18/2006, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

Good luck James and please keep us posted. This seems to be the number 1 pest on most lists.
Old 08/19/2006, 01:45 AM
Premium Member

Xia.....I will let you know when they have completed their task.

Fred.....I have about 8 RBTA's in the tank. From the research I have done, it appears that they are safe and won't be attacked.

Edwin.....IF....eating all of them = 0 and eradication = 0, THEN
eating all of them = eradication.

Mike....thanks. I will keep you posted.
Old 08/19/2006, 08:17 AM
I'm all wet!

What I mean is if they dont eat all of a single aiptasia, it can grow back. Then they did not eradicate them.

Old 08/19/2006, 12:33 PM
Moved On

This is Chaetodon kleinii.

Largely zooplanktivorous, but they will eat Aiptasia. Very hardy and peaceful butterfly, although not very attractive. If you have any finger leathers it will probably try to eat them. I've also seen it peck at some large Palythoa. SPS and LPS are usually fine.
Old 08/19/2006, 01:57 PM
Moving Along

Hey James, not sure if there's a certain reason your hesitant on getting a copperband butterfly? But out of all the things Ive tried, kalk, peppermints, this fish by far takes the cake!And eats it too!!!

If you could have seen my tank 2 months ago, youd swear that I was cultivating aiptasia. I mean plague perportions! 20-30 on just one rock, let alone scattered in patches throughout my tank. In 3 days every noticeable annoying critter was gone!. Dusted! Needless to say once youve been condemmned to deal with these guys and especially as long as I have this is nothing short of a miracle.

Not too mention its a gorgeous fish, the added bonus is its not obligate like the nudis so you dont have to hunt em all down before they starve and pollute the tank. But for 30-40$ its much cheaper than berghia and you'll get years of viewing pleasure, a win win IMO. Good luck!

-Justin
Old 08/19/2006, 02:33 PM
Premium Member

Matt and Justin,
Thanks for the advice on the fish. I have read that the copperband will pick on other anemones and since I have a lot of RBTA's in the tank, I didn't want to take the chance. Has anyone else had any experience?
The fish is a much more economical choice.
Thanks,
James
Old 08/19/2006, 02:45 PM
Moving Along

I have a pretty big RBTA, but it gets hosted by a maroon so needless to say that one doesnt get touched. But I dont know, if there were more, and "unprotected" smaller RBTA's I can't say what it would do, good point.

-Justin
Old 08/19/2006, 03:02 PM
Moved On

I wish I could find an eating CBB. Every time I see one in a store and offer it frozen mysids they ignore it.
Old 08/19/2006, 03:06 PM
Premium Member

Matt, would you say the Klein's is a better choice than the Copperband for a mixed reef tank with a RBTA hosted by a pair of Tomato Clown's? If so, any available locally? I agree with Justin the Copperband is a nice looking fish, but I'm concerned about my anenome. If it's six of one and half a dozen of the other, I might just take the chance though.
Old 08/19/2006, 03:22 PM
Moving Along

Quote:
Originally posted by wombat2
I wish I could find an eating CBB. Every time I see one in a store and offer it frozen mysids they ignore it.
I didnt try, and took the word of the fishstore that it was eating(I dont recommend this!). But I did put it on hold for over a week making it's total stay at the LFS almost 3 weeks, so that was reassuring. But when I put it in my tank it wouldnt eat anything including mysis,and that scared me. Persistance paid off, i went through all the foods I had and after watching the other fish chow down hard core right in front of it I think that helped him eat and finally got him on mysis. But he indeed was eating, durring those first 3 days but it was just a pure aiptasia diet to my delight.

Fred: I would think since 2 are hosting it, your anenome should be pretty safe, especially with tomatoes. There like maroons and known not to take crap from no one

-Justin
Old 08/19/2006, 10:05 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by JahReefster
Matt, would you say the Klein's is a better choice than the Copperband for a mixed reef tank with a RBTA hosted by a pair of Tomato Clown's? If so, any available locally? I agree with Justin the Copperband is a nice looking fish, but I'm concerned about my anenome. If it's six of one and half a dozen of the other, I might just take the chance though.
Couldn't tell you. Here's what I do know--the Steinhart has a C. kleinii and a CBB in their 20,000 g reef tank. Neither one bothers the RBTAs in there (one is hosted by a maroon, one isn't). It's difficult to translate what happens in a tank that big to a tank your size, but that's my limited knowledge.

What I can tell you for sure is that you are much more likely to have success keeping a C. kleinii than with a CBB. They should take flake food right off the bat.
Old 08/24/2006, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

Photon-

I'll be needing some berghias soon. Where did you buy yours? Are you satisifed with that source?

Are there any LFS's in the Sacramento area selling berghias?
Old 08/24/2006, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

I hate these guys, luckally all the peppermints I have purchased have loved these guys so they are no longer a problem. When we did have a problem, we had a sixline that liked to eat the peppermints so we had lots of aptasia. We took one out and torched it to a crisp and it still came back about a week later, looking like nothing had happened.

Rian
Old 08/25/2006, 12:51 AM
Premium Member

I ordered the berghia from www.berghia.net and was very pleased with their customer service and professional packaging. They have been very helpful when I have asked questions plus their website has lots of valuable information.
I don't think that any of the local stores carry them. You will be surprised how "small" they actually are. They would get lost in a retail store's system.
James
Old 08/25/2006, 02:28 AM
Registered Member

salty underground sold mine to me but I dont know where they went.

Honestly I have to say from personal exp the Klien is the wat to go. I had one in my 50 and it destroyed the aptasia within a few days.

I have seen them eat zoos and xenia too so you might want to watch out for that.

Also they are hardier than copperbands for sure.

I havent seen them eat other anemones except ap's

Berghia eat aptasia only however if they get overzealous they can also be eaten by aptasia too.
Old 08/25/2006, 04:31 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by supaboy1981
salty underground sold mine to me but I dont know where they went.

Honestly I have to say from personal exp the Klien is the wat to go. I had one in my 50 and it destroyed the aptasia within a few days.

I have seen them eat zoos and xenia too so you might want to watch out for that.

Also they are hardier than copperbands for sure.

I havent seen them eat other anemones except ap's

Berghia eat aptasia only however if they get overzealous they can also be eaten by aptasia too.
Glad to hear from somebody else who has used a Klein's butterfly!
Old 08/25/2006, 11:06 AM
Premium Member

I have a lot of zoos in a mixed reef tank, with some mushrooms, a small toadstool leather, a candycane, and a couple blastomussa merlettis I'm fond of, in addition to all my SPS. I wouldn't mind the leather getting chewed on (it doesn't really fit with what I'm keeping anyway), but wouldn't want to lose much more than that. I was leaning toward the Klein's, but Supaboy, could you give a little more info on what you meant about what you've seen the Kleins eat?
Old 08/25/2006, 11:08 AM
Premium Member

Sorry, James, hope I'm not hijacking the thread here. I'm still interested in your little critters too.