Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2008, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

how do i transfer everything from my 5.5g to my new 10g ?

how do i do it, ?
Old 01/08/2008, 11:14 PM
Registered Member

anyone, i cant get the 20, so anyone got steps on how to do this
Old 01/08/2008, 11:19 PM
Registered Member

Just move it over. Put your corals and stuff in a holding tank then move your sand and rock in and then reposition your corals. You shouldnt have a big problem.
Old 01/08/2008, 11:48 PM
Registered Member

do a water change before your move. and the water taken out you can put that ot your 10 gallons. and the next day just move everything over.
Old 01/09/2008, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

wont there be a cycle, ?

so i take out 2.5 g
then i still need the other 2.5

wat about the other 5. how should get it, and add it?
Old 01/09/2008, 02:56 AM
Premium Member

im not really sure but i think this is what he is trying to say... do a 2.5 gallon water change and put old water in new tank. transfer everything into new tank the next day and make new water to fill where you want it. 2.5+5.5=8 plus make another 2 gallons to finish filling up the tank. It will be like doing water changes 2 days in a row. Just make sure all water parameters are the same.
Old 01/09/2008, 03:00 AM
Registered Member

you should be fine. just make sure the water is about the same parameters salinity and temp.
Old 01/09/2008, 06:48 AM
Registered Member

i transfered from a 36 to a 20 gallon and did just what scowiii and nano trigger said. i had no problems. i also rinsed the gravle out really good with reqally weak salt water.
Old 01/09/2008, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

I think as long as you don't keep your rock out of the water for any length of time, your only concern would be if you have a deeper sand bed, disturbing it might be a problem. If your sandbed is shallow or you have no sandbed, that shouldn't be a problem. If you leave your rock out of the water for any length of time (like, 30-60 minutes or more), it's possible that you could induce another cycle, as life on the rock would begin to die, and start a new cycle in the new tank.

Hofstadter's Law -
It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

what should b the 1st thing i move out, the sand? or water

thankss
Old 01/09/2008, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

when i take out the 2.5 from my 5.5 , when i add the new water back to the 5.5, do i add salt to it?
Old 01/09/2008, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

Uh, you should do it like you normally do with a water change. Remove the 2.5 gallons and put it into the new tank. Then, replace the water in the old tank with properly premixed ASW.

Hofstadter's Law -
It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
Old 01/09/2008, 04:19 PM
Registered Member

i would recommend just using new sand....

i would mix up a batch of 5G of new SW...put half in the new tank...now siphon out 2.5 out of your current tank directly into your new tank...top up your current tank with the remainder of fresh SW...then the next day or later the same day...

siphon the remainder of the water out of the current tank into a 5G pail...then remove your coral and rock...and any livestock to that same pail...put your heater and power head into the pail too...and turn on...(if you want to keep your sand then scoop it out and place into new tank..) if not just grab a handful or two and add it to the top of your new sand in new tank...now build up your rocks how you would like them in your new tank...(as mentioned i would not take more then and hour to do this, for die-off reasons) ......now put a tall glass or a bowl into your tank and slowly add the water from the 5 G pail to your new tank...remember not to tip it too much though you still have corals and livestock in the bottom of the pail..( i would use a large cup or something and avoid dumping the pail all together..

now your water should be pretty much to height...you can add your corals...once they are in you can re admit your fish and other such critters, and equipment...top up tank to desired level with the remainder of the water and your good to go...in a day or 2 do another 1 or 2 gallon water change and your set...
Old 01/09/2008, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

yes, just add new sand.
Old 01/09/2008, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

how long should it take before my tank clears up after i added my new sand, the tank is only about 4.5 gallons so i left the rest for when i add my 5.5 contents

yea, but how long should i take to clear up after adding sand
Old 01/09/2008, 06:55 PM
Killer of Giants

When I add new sand, I rinse it off a few times to get the crud out. Then, while it's still wet, I get a glass or cup, fill it with the wet sand. Then, keeping it held right side up, I lower it below water level. Allow water to creep into the glass. Then, lower it to the bottom and pour it all out slowly. This will help avoid an all out sand storm. Also, don't have any flow going in the tank. Turn any powerheads off.

Good Luck.
Old 01/09/2008, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

since i only have 6lbs or live rock from my 5.5, should i buy 4 lbs or base rock , so theres not a cycle and no die off ??
Old 01/09/2008, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

bump
Old 01/10/2008, 12:31 AM
Registered Member

Why use new sand it doesnt really matter really you can use new sand by why wast the money but if you wan to use ne sand use several cups of your old sand as some of it may be still seeded with some life in it. But basically you may have a spike in tank again and go through the process for a couple days but you said there are no corals or other stuff in there so just use your new sand and then run your skimmer.
Old 01/10/2008, 08:51 AM
Premium Member

I am in a similar sittuation with transfering my 25 to a new 29... I am going to need some new sand jsut becasue my 25 is starting to get thin due to siphoning over the past few years... when you move old sand, should you put it below or ontop of the new sand..??
Old 01/10/2008, 10:49 AM
RC Mod

Put the old sand on top of the new sand.

Depending on how old the tank is and how the sand smells you may or may not want to reuse old sand. Personally I replace almost all the sand when moving to a new tank and just seed it with a few scoops from the top of the old sandbed. Then I go through the old sandbed picking out any worms/ critters from the old sand to transfer to the new tank.
Old 01/10/2008, 11:02 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Agu
Personally I replace almost all the sand when moving to a new tank and just seed it with a few scoops from the top of the old sandbed. Then I go through the old sandbed picking out any worms/ critters from the old sand to transfer to the new tank.
I was thinking the samething... except about grabbing the things in the sand... maybe I'll find some tweezers or something... besides the starfish looking things, all the other stuff freaks me out a little... Its all becasue of a friend who got a bad bristle worm incident... heheheee
Old 01/10/2008, 04:10 PM
Registered Member

what about new liverock

since i only have 6lbs. now, should i go out and get 4lbs or liverock or baserock?