Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/26/2007, 10:27 AM
Registered Member

Question Black Spots On Clownfish?

I’ve noticed some black spots on my clown and figured someone might have some ideas as to what’s wrong.

The spots seem to be primarily on his right side and under side.

He doesn’t act stressed, and he’s been eating… really no changes in behavior.

I haven’t noticed him hosting anything other than his RBTA, which he’s been hosting for about 2 years.

Any ideas?

Old 11/26/2007, 10:48 AM
Registered Member

Place the fish in QT immediatly!....it willl probably develop into velvet......mine did last week!!! started the exact same way!!.

in my case it did anyway.
Old 11/26/2007, 11:18 AM
Enjoying Life

Actually it is not even close to being that serious. Those black spots are from the clown touching or rubbing against some kind of stinging coral.

This is exactly what happend to my little male O.clown when he started hosting Zoas. The spots then developed into black splotches, and he showed zero change in behavior so I also assumed he was fine.
Old 11/26/2007, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

How long have you had this clown? Have you added any new corals, xenia or zoas to the tank recently?

They look like the marks that clowns sometimes get when using non-anemones or anemones they are not used to as hosts.
If that is the case, he may get more before they go away, but they will gradually fade, sort of like a bruise.

*edit* reefman beat me to it.
Sorry I didn't read the last line about you having him for 2 years.

Last edited by phender; 11/26/2007 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11/26/2007, 11:31 AM
Enjoying Life

Sorry about that
Old 11/26/2007, 11:40 AM
Zoa Color Pirate

I just wanted to ditto reefman & phender. Nothing serous at all, it is NOT a sign that a clown will develop velvet. Please dont remove your clown & stress it out.
Old 11/26/2007, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

Thanks guys! I've had the clown for almost 3 years. He's been hosting that RBTA for over 2 years.

The only corals I have been adding are small SPS frags. I did notice that the Pocillopora (bottom left of 3 of the pictures) hasn't been as fuzzy looking for the past few weeks. Actually, if you look at the 3rd picture, you'll notice that the Pocillopora is only fuzzy at the base. I've had that frag since July and it's always been very fuzzy looking... I wonder if the clown recently started rubbing against it at night... I'll have to watch more closely.
Old 11/26/2007, 03:20 PM
Enjoying Life

That probably isn't it. It is going to be more like some of the corals that have stinging tentacles.