Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Richmond Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/03/2007, 12:54 AM
Registered Member

The Local Fish Store

So which one is your personal LFS?

I'm a Fish World guy, myself. The prices are usually a bit higher than at Atlantis, but the guys at Fish World know me better. It also helps that I'm about 5 minutes from the store. They usually always let me know about new shipments coming in and when it would be best to come in to browse. I need to be more buddy buddy with Atlantis but I usually run into someone different every time I walk in.

The thing that worries me the most about Atlantis is that they are, to me, a business more than a LFS. They have tried to sell me SPS's that wouldn't grow under my lights and fish that are too big for my tank. I'm sure that the owner and manager would tell me different but the younger staff seems a bit ignorant. For example... I bought an OC clown from Atlantis a week ago and I asked them if I could have a BTA in my tank. They told me I could, no problem. Now, I did not research BTA's before I went into the store and I walked out with one. Big mistake (as always). As most of you know, BTA's can get pretty big and some can be hard to keep. So I found myself with an anemone that may not survive in my tank (10 gal) . After finally researching on my gbta I have decided to try and keep him and if he, after a week, shows signs of distress I will return him. If he seems ok, I will keep him until I can upgrade to a larger tank.

I took the advice of the younger guys at the store and while they may have been giving me their true earned advice, from what I have learned it is wrong.
At any LFS there will be an employee (or employees) that misinforms the customer. Shane at Fish World clearly has much less knowledge than Joe and his wife but he always pulls out the phone if he isn't sure of the answer. At Atlantis I always feel that I need to check the internet before I buy anything. I don't like that feeling. Maybe I just need to hang around there more.

Do we have any LFS employee's on the board?

edit: The 1200gal. tank at Fish World is the coolest tank I've ever seen.

3 gal. Pico
10 gal. Nano
20 gal. FW

Last edited by Coleman4i; 11/03/2007 at 12:59 AM.
Old 11/03/2007, 01:12 AM
Registered Member

Oooooh, you're playing with fire here. lol. Alot of them are online and all of them are like family to all of us. I like them all. I go everywhere and know everyone by name. I do love Atlantis. they've never steered me wrong, infact Marvin was the one to help set me on the right track. You'll have to get to know them I guess. Joe is great too. I don't like the list thing at Joes as it seems to take alot more time to find prices, but he had a great selection too. I also like Richmond Aquarium, They're all such good people there. Not alot of selection right now, but they're getting bigger and they always have some pretty cool fish. Believe it or not, I also love Petco. You can get some really great deals on fish. Remember, the lfs, no matter where you go, right now knows more than you do about this hobby and they are giving you their advice, not the scripture. different pieces you buy will work in some tanks and not in others, there's no real standard. You can have an anemone in a 10 gallon, you're right it will get pretty big, but if you have the right lighting and your plan is just an anemone and clowns, you're fine. Also, you can always trade down if it gets too big. Good luck!

Fraggables:
bam bam zoas
Fire and ice zoas
kenya
pulsing xenia
leather
Old 11/03/2007, 02:06 AM
Registered Member

What Cindy said is important, this is an art not a science. Often the advice you get is correct from all points of view - even if it conflicts - the art is in the details, if you miss the details you can and will make mistakes.

As you said, do your own research, that way you go in informed. When you already know the basics, you will not miss the details.

I frequent all 4 mentioned, and enjoy all of them. But if I had to choose 1 it would be Atlantis.
Old 11/03/2007, 07:28 AM
Registered Member

I think they all have there advantages.Marvin is good for whats new in the industry,Joe is good for solid basics and keith at azalea is from the old school.The people at the store on lakeside ave dont know a thing,I go there for kitty litter lol.There is an lfs on Laburnam that is so packed with stuff you cant get around in the store but they never have anything I want,go figure.The one on mechanicsville trpk isnt open on sunday if there open at all any more.As useful as they all are there is no replacement for good solid research.
Old 11/03/2007, 07:47 AM
Registered Member

ATLANTIS RULES!!!
Old 11/03/2007, 07:49 AM
Premium Member

I have no problem with Fish World. Joe and his staff have always been friendly and they do have a nice selection. They are a bit far away for me to do much shopping there.

That being said, Atlantis is a GREAT store. We are lucky to have them in Richmond. Lots of other cities envy us for having the quality and quantity of stores that we have. Marvin and his staff have always gone out of there way to provide knowledgeable, friendly service. Several times I have had problems that they have bent over backwards to correct. For example, I was leaving on vacation when I discovered that my sump had a small leak (come to find out the crack was pretty big). Marvin came over after working all day and replaced the sump (with one that he was willing to lend me), and was there until the early morning hours doing so. He understands service and knows that his customers rely on him. The rest of his staff has similar dedication.

I really don't think that the original poster should be bashing any of the LFS in the area. Everyone in the hobby has different opinions as to what they feel will work in a tank. I don't feel that the staff in Atlantis would steer you in the wrong direction. In fact, I feel they are definitely the most knowledgeable overall staff in the area. Marvin has even sent some of his staff to training at SeaChem and other places just for them to be up to speed with all of the Science of our hobby.

Maybe you should go in and give them a little better opportunity. They (as does fish world), welcome people to come and hang out. Both stores have enough inventory to keep you busy for awhile. I believe you will rethink your attack.

By the way, this board is not a forum for bashing ANY of the LFSs. It doesn't seem like you had an actual specific example of what you are complaining about. Don't try to prop up one store by slandering another!
Old 11/03/2007, 08:02 AM
Premium Member

Will, I'm not sure he was "attacking" or "slandering" Marvin and the guys...I think he was more or less asking for some help...he did ask if there were any LFS employees on...I think he was more worried than being slanderous...

That said, I too have been to the different stores...I will admit that I frequent Fish World more than anywhere, because it is the closest to me out here in Amelia...Marvin is a 45-mile drive one way for me...Joe is about 45-miles round trip...

I will say that Joe, Jan and Shane do know me and my tank setup very well...they know what skimmer, lighting, etc. that I use and they remember that...I have always had great service at Joes and I don't hesitate telling anyone to give them a try...

In saying that though, I must also say that I've never been steered wrong by Marvin and any of his crew over at Atlantis...every time I've been there, they have always been willing to talk with me and give me whatever advice they can possibly give...heck, the tank that I am currently running came from there...and my first fish and corals all came from there also (which I still have all of as a matter of fact)

I've been treated well at both stores...yes, Marvin and his crew are more on the cutting edge while Joe and his crew are "back to basics" more or less...Joe is getting a little more progressive as time goes on though...me, I am a basic kind of guy to begin with so my philosophy is "stick with what works for you." The basics are a great foundation for me so I work with Fish World...but I'm not hesistant to go to Atlantis for something either...

If bashing Atlantis was your attempt and I'm off base here, please appologize to those guys before you post any more...they are all great over there and I'm sure they either misunderstood your question or you misunderstood their answer...if you were simply asking for help, maybe a quick post to clarify your question/concern would be in order...

In any case, don't hesitate to use Atlantis or Fish World...go in, talk to everybody...let them learn about you and you learn about them...in the end, you will find that the staff at both places are truely the best...it is true that we here in the Richmond area truely are the envy of everybody else because of our stores...and it isn't just because of the stores or the inventory, it is because of the staff that work there...

Ok...I'm off the soap box now... *plunks 2 pennies in bucket* Someone else's turn now...

Current Livestock -

Yellow Tang // ORA Clown
Flame Angel // Sailfin Blenny
Pair Cleaner Shrimp // Sexy Anemone Shrimp
T Maxima Clam // Sebae Anemone
Old 11/03/2007, 08:14 AM
I think I love my tank

I fully believe that we, as reef hobbyists are fully responsible for our own research. If I ended up with something that is not suitable for my tank I have only one person to blame...ME. I can think of no less than five times that one of the guys at Atlantis has politely suggested that "it" might not be a good idea in my tank.
Oh...and I hate to break it to you, they are ALL businesses. They ALL open their doors every morning hoping to make a profit.
Longnose Hawkfish
Magnificent Rabbitfish
Diamond Goby
Blond Naso Tang
Bluechin Trigger

I got the poo on me.
Old 11/03/2007, 08:58 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by virginiadiver69
I fully believe that we, as reef hobbyists are fully responsible for our own research. If I ended up with something that is not suitable for my tank I have only one person to blame...ME. I can think of no less than five times that one of the guys at Atlantis has politely suggested that "it" might not be a good idea in my tank.
Oh...and I hate to break it to you, they are ALL businesses. They ALL open their doors every morning hoping to make a profit.
I have to say that Joe at Fish World does this as well...there have been a few occassions where I wanted a specific fish and Joe politely let me know it wasn't reef safe...or that my tank was too small...there were also a few corals that he told me I needed to wait for or that I didn't have strong enough light for (prior to my T5s and MHs)

I've got to say that both Atlantis and Fish World are certainly in business to make a profit, what business wouldn't be...but, I fully believe that both stores more so than any other store in the area really has the best interests of the hobbyist in mind when they give them advice or sell them something...I don't feel that either store would deliberately mislead someone just to make a sale...they would rather treat us right, tell us not to get something (that will kill something in our tank or we will kill, etc.) and have us come back rather than just make a sale and have us upset and not come back...they really are in it for us, both of them...

Current Livestock -

Yellow Tang // ORA Clown
Flame Angel // Sailfin Blenny
Pair Cleaner Shrimp // Sexy Anemone Shrimp
T Maxima Clam // Sebae Anemone
Old 11/03/2007, 09:47 AM
Registered Member

I love reef's, not the reef store! Sorry to hear about your experience, and from experience, even the experts are sometimes wrong. Much love to ATL and to JOE. We should talk about good experiences, Fish world has given me great advice on supplementation, the natural way, and Atlantis has done countless hours of testing on my tank. Also, Atlantis does have a large coral and fish book library, that you can read anytime there, find your own information to back up what they tell you!! They have this encyclopedia on coral that is just amazing!
Old 11/03/2007, 10:44 AM
I bleed orange and maroon

I'm pretty much 100% Atlantis now. I guess I've gotten to an advanced enough point in the hobby where I am looking for very specific corals, chemicals, and equipment which only Atlantis carries on a regular basis.

Joe has always been nice to me at FW, but he's the only one I'd buy anything from as I've had questionable experiences with their other employees trying mark up prices, or sell me sponges, exotic nudi's, sea apples, and other random things....I only go in there now to just look around and maybe get some snails b/c they don't ever have anything else I'm interested in.

But with that said my #2 store is in Roanoke, VA....called Ultimate Aquariums. Not near as big as either of the 2 Richmond super stores.....but has dirt cheap prices on fish and corals b/c its a 1-2 man operation with very little overhead. They also have more rare corals than all of the Richmond stores put together, and they could easily compete with some of the sponsors selling rare coral on RC. And they'll also order specific corals/fish for me as soon as I ask for it....which requires allot less visits and asking each week, "Do you have it in yet?" as I have to do allot at Atlantis.

With all that said, cleanliness goes along way to getting my business. If I walk in and the place reeks of wet/dry systems, and I see fish diseased and dead in the tanks......I'm allot less likely to buy anything.

Richmond Reef Club

GO HOKIES!!

Last edited by surfnvb7; 11/03/2007 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11/03/2007, 11:07 AM
Mouth Pipetting

In case you weren't familiar with the situation, the RRC has had problems in the past with debates of "X" store is better than "Y" store. These threads can quickly get out of hand, and a number of former members have been banned from ReefCentral when arguments are taken too far.

Be careful, and enjoy which ever store you prefer I'm glad you have a LFS that you're comfortable visiting. Many cities and towns would be lucky to have a store half as good as the ones in Richmond.
Old 11/03/2007, 11:41 AM
Mouth Pipetting

Re: The Local Fish Store

Quote:
Originally posted by Coleman4i
Do we have any LFS employee's on the board?
Yes
Old 11/03/2007, 11:52 AM
Premium Member

well here's my 0.2 cents. I would kill to have ANY of the 2 big Richmond stores here by me. I regularly drive 2+ hrs to go to Richmond to go to a good store.

One of the reasons that Richmond has such good stores is that there are a lot of fish stores in Richmond, they compete for our hobby dollars. Also each of them bring new hobbyist into existence who then shop at other stores spreading the hobby dollar around.

Ever see a Burger King on one corner and a Wendys across the street and a Roy Rogers 2 steps away? sure they compete but its actually good business to be close to the other chains because each chain brings the burger dollar into the area. Once in the area that dollar may go to Wendys today but tomorrow may go to the King for a change of pace or for something that the other 2 don't have.

I have 1 store in my area that carries SW/reef stuff. because of that they are complacent, have tanks with dying and dead fish, a *display* that any of us would be ashamed to call our own, 15yr old employees that have NO clue and who you have to hunt down and drag away from hiding between fish isles because they are busy having a conversation with fellow employees only to have them chase around and stress the already stressed fish that has been trying to hang onto life till it can get out of the toilet of a tank that pretty much no amount of QT or meds can then save.

I will NOT give them my hobby dollars, not because I'm trying to make a statement but because the few times I've tried to buy something from them it has more than likely died. If I'm desperate I'll go buy my frozen Mysis there.

Every few months it seems that this subject pops up, (which store is better?Which store do you like etc etc) all I can say is shop where you like to shop, at the place that you leave with a big smile on your face and clutching a bag of goodies close to your chest that you just can't wait to get home and add to your tank.
Old 11/03/2007, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

Man, Marvin should give will_w a discount for defending him so well. It was not my intention at all to "bash" any LFS especially Atlantis. I love both of them and am there at least 4 times a week.

My question was which is your personal LFS. As if you had to pick one, which one would you choose? I didn't mean it start some sort of debate on which one is better or anything. I was just wondering out of the two great LFS's we have around here, which one do you go to the most?

As for my comment on being misinformed with the gbta. I agree that it was my fault for not researching it beforehand. I didn't mean to come off as high and mighty or anything.

FW is my favorite because not only is it right down the road from me, but the first time I walked in there Joe saw that I was a new customer and greeted me and introduced himself and personally showed me around the store so I could get a good look at how everything was setup. I only found out about Atlantis 2 weeks ago so my experiences with them are still new. It is a lot further away from my apartment so I'm less inclined to drive out there than just down the street to Fish World.

Anyways, if this is going to get out of hand then I'll close the thread. I can see how I may have started a little sandstorm here but I hope all is well. Hell... I'd work at either LFS for free in my spare time if I could.

3 gal. Pico
10 gal. Nano
20 gal. FW

Last edited by Coleman4i; 11/03/2007 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11/03/2007, 12:11 PM
Registered Member

DEAR WILDTHING

YOUR POST IS FANTASTIC, NOW GET OFF THE COMPUTER AND MAKE ME LUNCH!

OH AND HOW MANY GORGONIANS DOES IT TAKE TO SCREW IN A LIGHT BULB?
NONE SILLY THEY USE DOUBLE-ENDED!
Old 11/03/2007, 12:16 PM

Re: DEAR WILDTHING

Quote:
Originally posted by POLOPONIES
oh SNAP!!

Richmond Reef Club

GO HOKIES!!
Old 11/03/2007, 12:20 PM
rainbow sherbet stylo...

one thing i like about atlantis is that they have all their prices clearly marked. I like to know i'm not being charged more than others, which i know happens when you have to ask for a price. does joe give you a discount?

Ask Vince about this, he's got some stories, and he's been in this hobby longer than anyone i know....

and afaik there are only 5 people who work at atlantis, and being that there are normally 3 people working there, i don't know how there could be different people there everytime you go in?
Old 11/03/2007, 12:23 PM
Premium Member

Re: DEAR WILDTHING

Quote:
Originally posted by POLOPONIES

OH AND HOW MANY GORGONIANS DOES IT TAKE TO SCREW IN A LIGHT BULB?
NONE SILLY THEY USE DOUBLE-ENDED!
hurumph!!

LUNCH!!!!!!! There is a dead freshwater Angelfish on the marble table next to you.........here let me get you a cracker
Old 11/03/2007, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

Old 11/03/2007, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mr294
don't you have a tank that you need to be finishing?

Richmond Reef Club

GO HOKIES!!
Old 11/03/2007, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by surfnvb7
don't you have a tank that you need to be finishing?
Oh it's done. I just put a school of neon tetras and some cory cats in this morning.
Old 11/03/2007, 12:37 PM
rainbow sherbet stylo...

Quote:
Oh it's done. I just put a school of neon tetras and some cory cats in this morning.
are you serial? lmk when you are ready for sps, i know you wanted a piece of my blue mille...
Old 11/03/2007, 12:39 PM
Mouth Pipetting

Quote:
Despite popular misconception, betas can be kept with other fish (just not other male betas). You should consider adding one to give the tank some Flair.
Old 11/03/2007, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

Personally I like FW and ATL. My girlfriend won't go to FW, even to visit. I sent her to buy food one day and aparently it didn't go that friendly, because she just wanted food, and didn't know where it was, all she did was ask directly, I wasn't there so I don't know/ judge. I have also been there and been quoted a different price than in the book(before he knew me). I as well don't like being asked if I need help after I have been looking around for 40 minutes and am walking out the door already(last time I was there). I like and go by both stores, but if I am ignored because of my youth, or not helped somewhat, my business is lost. I know there are people spending thousands on coral and fish and they are more important, but my 100 a week that I put into it, I feel should be appreciated. I like FW and ATL, but I work in retail, so service is #1 to me. I am very picky too about customer service, I run 2 retail stores myself, I know it is hard to have all employee's on the same level as the owner. We are lucky to have both, maybe we shouldn't compare, but be happy. I have gotten the most amazing little frags at FW for very cheap though.