Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/18/2007, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

New Mariculture Base?

Hey you guys.... Who has gotten the new Acros attached to the new Maricultured base?...

I wonder where these are comming from! They are on a wierd flat ceramic/epoxy/cement? base... they are also barely attached!!! which is bad... but a possitive note is that these new bases arent going to contain sponges/tunicates... etc... that die in captivity...

wierd... I just got a nice Blue Coralite Colored stag with a yellowish base color... its got barnacles in it, but anyway... its on this base... can't help but ask others if you guys have picked up these?

Its funny, because we just got a shipment of SPS in , just a few, and they where attached to this base....
Its also funny because the ONE wild colony that we got (chesterfieldensis) RTNed on us... I swear, wilds are HORIBLE shippers!!! Maricultured ALWAYS survives... no problems! They should just stop collected the wild colonys!
Old 08/18/2007, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

got a picture?
Old 08/18/2007, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

Not Yet... Ill try and make time to get one... But I am very busy....
Old 08/18/2007, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

Yes I just got one of the new bases with a lokani I bought. I think it will be easier to scrub any algae off if theres any attached. Mine was very clean.
Old 08/18/2007, 11:47 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

Why does the cleanliness of the base matter? After a day or two, I cut the coral off of it...

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 08/19/2007, 11:01 AM
I'll be here all week

Is this it? I got this very brown acro a couple months back. Almost looks & feels like a bowling ball, very smooth.

Old 08/19/2007, 11:21 AM
Red Bug Survivor 2006

Seems like a lot of maricultered pieces I've seens are similar to the pic above. Sort of a half dome frag plug. Probably a lot easier to make due to the simple shape.

Click on the red house to view my build thread
Old 08/19/2007, 11:46 AM
SPS Slave

I think that is some kind of man-made stuff that is poured into the tops of 2-liter soda bottles. Several of the MC pieces I've seen recently look like this. Different types of mixture are being used (some looks like quick-crete, others more shiny and expoy-ish like the one in the picture there)...
Old 08/19/2007, 12:24 PM
Premium Member

It is a thin piece of clear plastic on top and cement underneath....
It is one of the harder ones (for me at least) to beark off...
Old 08/19/2007, 12:38 PM
Premium Member

I would love to find a source for those as they make gluing frags to rock a lot easier, sit flat on the sand and have a smooth surface. That surface would be great for encrusting montis and zoo/palys.
Old 08/19/2007, 07:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Why does the cleanliness of the base matter? After a day or two, I cut the coral off of it...
Some people dont cut the coral off... But speaking of the the base being clean... There are normally alot of Algae species on these bases, as well as, flatworms, tunicates, sponges, etc... that dont survive in aquariums...

BTW: The picture posted above with that base, is NOT THE SAME base as what I am talking about... those domed bases are very common... the one I am talking about looks like the piece of cream colored slate/ceramic rock.... very odd...

Ill get a picture asap.