Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks

Old 02/25/2007, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

Longhorn Cowfish monsters

As usual I didn’t do my research and I bought one of those cute little 1.5” Cowfish to go into my 70 gallon corner tank. I started to investigate its characteristics after he started to grow rapidly large. I planned on keeping small fish in this tank because the tank is small. Well when I looked it up I found that they can reach 18” in the wild and the minimum size tank for them is a 180. I knew it wouldn’t work, but I tried placing it in my 225 with my big Queen and Triggers a Tusk and other not so friendly guys. The experiment lasted about 15 minutes before the Queen started to nip at that big fat slow moving belly. So now I’m stuck with what I thought would remain a cute little guy, which I now know turns out to be mainly a carnivore. That 1.5” male clown is starting to look more bite sized as the big creature keeps growing. It will eat every piece of food that hits the bottom, because it’s too slow moving to get it as it sinks to the bottom. I didn’t know that they were mainly carnivores, thus my new worry about those tasty looking little clowns. I have to keep Hornhead because of all of his personality and weird looking features that my wife is in love with. It’s my contention that it’s just a matter of time before my clowns become cow food. She thinks I’m just plotting too get rid of him to make her unhappy, because I’m such a brute I want to take my clowns and get a relatively small tank where they won’t become fish bate and keep Hornhead in the 70. I know that’s small for him but I have no alternatives, and Hornhead isn’t going anywhere. I think it will adapt to the too small tank and just keep eating everything in sight. The thing is dangerous as well; it took a piece of my finger off when it was ½ this size. Now If I put my whole hand or arm in it leaves me alone. I need to convince her that my clowns are going to become Hornhead food, if in fact that will be the case. Any opinions on this situation
Old 02/25/2007, 10:10 PM
Sorry, I'm not Jeremy

Good thing you have a sense of humor You do know that Cowfish set of toxins that can kill it and other fish right? I guess you'll just have to set up another 200 gallon for your wife and her Cowfish!!
Old 02/25/2007, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

yea, I know about the toxins. If I stick my head in the tank when they are released, will it kill me too? I hope so
Old 02/25/2007, 10:52 PM
Premium Member

Sound to me like a great excuse to get a new tank Honey I swear it will be the last one

Mark
Old 02/25/2007, 11:50 PM
Registered Member

I doubt your cowfish will eat your clowns. IMO. I have had a yellow boxfish in my 92g reef for about a year now. He has never bothered any of the smaller fish. If he gets to big then I will have to remove him. He has not realy grown much in the year that I have had (he is maybe 3"). I am glad he is not growing fast, because he is also the wifes favorite fish.
Old 02/26/2007, 06:50 AM
Registered Member

steve_b

I just lost my 5 year old cow a few weeks ago.

would you be interested in parting with your cow?

if so i live in oklahoma..i can travel.
Old 02/26/2007, 09:10 AM
Registered Member

You have no worry about you cow eating your clowns or any other fish. I have kept many cows and box fish over the years and never had one try to eat and fish. I even had a 6 inch cow fish in the same tank as a couple of small shrimp gobys and he never even batted an eye at them.
Old 02/26/2007, 09:11 AM
Team RC Member

In my experience, cowfish are not especially aggressive, especially to faster moving fish like clowns. I would call them omnivores, rather than carnivores. They also DO need significant vegetable matter in their diet. Make sure you offer some food that has seaweed and other herbivore foods, as well as the more meaty foods.

Here is a link to a comprehensive article you might find useful:
http://www.cowfishes.com/cowfishinaquaria.html

Your 70 gallon tank may be ok for a while, especially if you either beef up the filtration or stay on a consistent schedule of frequent partial water changes. The fastest growth rate is when the fish is smallest, the cowfish may stay under 6 inches for a while.

Good luck!
Old 02/26/2007, 01:24 PM
Registered Member

hmm.. and I thought cows were pacefull fish

Mine is in 215g with a variety of fish including pipefish, he and yes I said he, he is a bull not a cow

I hand feed the 5" bull and he also eats all day

when I try to rearange the tank he bites me and pokes me with the horns, it was weird at first, but now its just funny, I play matador with him, make him chase my hand LOL

anyways I dont think you have to worry about the clowns at all

just start looking for a bigger tank

good luck

Jose
Old 02/26/2007, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

OK, I just have the 70 and the 225. "YOU'RE NOT GETTING ANYMORE FISHTANKS AND MAKE OUR HOUSE LOOK LIKE A PETSHOP!"
I wish we had a big basement, and then I could have my pet shop. But of course it would have to be separated off from the finished part. After reading the link and the comments, I feel more comfortable about my clowns and Hornhead together. Another thing my Percula clowns may have going in their favor is that they were already in the tank when that cute little Hornhead arrived. That may not mean anything; unless they were those vicious monsters Maroon clowns. I think that this 70 tank has stunted Hornheads growth, because he has been in there for around 2 years or so. His tail portion looks to be maybe 80% of its body length, so it sounds like he doesn¡¦t have much more growth left. Hornhead doesn't seem to have a problem in the 70, it's been his home his entire life. He told my wife he doesn't need any more, so I guess that's that. (They have a telepathic bond) I would still like to get another little tank for my clowns. It just looks so out of proportion, with the fish size disparity. I could make this 70 gallon the BAZARRO tank. You know, maybe a Lion, one of those rock fish that stand on the bottom and a few other weird looking things to round out the freak show.
Anyway, thanks for the info guys, and offer to take him off my hands. Over her dead body would Hornhead leave this house. I have wet/dry filtration, so I am way under the load capacity

Last edited by Steve_B; 02/26/2007 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02/26/2007, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

There is still about 3” of tank behind him that are not in the shot. I think he will be OK in this tank, but you should see him try to turn around, it’s hysterical

Old 02/26/2007, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

Hee, hee, hee, my wife suggested that last one. Anyway I took this shot to show you guys the big difference in size. BTW, that's just one big piece of a coral replica. It does provide plenty of space, it's only about 2-3" thick. Its also 27"tall, so it looks pretty cool going all the way up to the water line.

and another shot

Last edited by Steve_B; 02/26/2007 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02/26/2007, 08:22 PM
Premium Member

Soon your wife will really fall in love with your cow fish he will start to recognize the two of you then maybe just maybe you can slip that new tank in Good Luck

Mark

Mark
Old 02/26/2007, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by roader247
Soon your wife will really fall in love with your cow fish he will start to recognize the two of you then maybe just maybe you can slip that new tank in Good Luck

Mark
He goes crazy when we approach the tank. He knows mommy and daddy will dump a pile of food in, he will finish it all, with scraps to float away for the other guys. He will still want more, but as it was said he is a huge load on the tank. I'm only concerned with nitrate of course, but those often water changes get to be a pain.

I have a bad memory, and Hornheads Mom just informed me we have had him around 3 years.
I would say Hornhead doesn't have much more size to go. He has been at this size for quite a long time. My mind is blown, so my recall is pretty bad. I only got paranoid when I looked up his primary food. When I read they are primarily carnivore, I was starting to freak. It doesn’t show up in any of these pics because the flash generally sends them (Run To The Hills, my favorite Iron Maiden song, but I digress) hiding. It was when I saw the monster right on top of the clown doing his grazing that I thought I should see what these things eat. I generally feed a dry pellet omnivore diet food, with carnivore and herbivore food used separately at different times. I thought it was primarily an herbivore, with fewer carnivore foods in their diet. So, they are and have always been docile together, and it eats anything that is that thrown in the tank. All will be well I guess, but I would still like the freak show tank.
Old 02/27/2007, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

I have a 2 in. Longhorn in my 110 and it's a great fish. Not agressive at all. Once it gets to know you, you can put your lips on the tank near it and it will give you a kiss, it's hilarious.
Old 03/04/2007, 07:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jesse-KT
I have a 2 in. Longhorn in my 110 and it's a great fish. Not agressive at all. Once it gets to know you, you can put your lips on the tank near it and it will give you a kiss, it's hilarious.
I DON'T THINK I would want a kiss that would take a 1/4" chunk off of my lip.
Old 03/05/2007, 07:10 AM
Registered Member

lol nah mine bites my finger all the time thinkng its food the pig, doesnt even break the skin.... you got to admite tho, when u start feeding him and he has to poop to make room for more food cos he has stiff sides, its friggin hillarious!!!

and i know your calmer about you clowns now, but a 1 have 1 lone perc clown with my cow and there best buddies, the cow allways sleeps just next to the clown in his coral!!!!
Old 03/05/2007, 07:23 AM
Who's your daddy

ive had my cowfish for almost six years and hes the best never any problems hes about 10 in long and fat
Old 03/05/2007, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lux_06
lol nah mine bites my finger all the time thinkng its food the pig, doesnt even break the skin.... you got to admite tho, when u start feeding him and he has to poop to make room for more food cos he has stiff sides, its friggin hillarious!!!

and i know your calmer about you clowns now, but a 1 have 1 lone perc clown with my cow and there best buddies, the cow allways sleeps just next to the clown in his coral!!!!
I had a Lemonpeel Angel that was in my 70 w/my Sohal tang until the tang out grew the 70 and went into my 225. They grew up together and were the best of buddies. They were the only 2 fish in the tank and they went against the general rule, regarding the agressiveness of those tangs.As a matter of fact, the tang went into the 225 with a Queen Angel, and a bunch of smaller fish. The Queen would posture and try to start a fight with the Sohal. The tang just ignored the Queen which eventully gave up trying to start a fight and they were just the 2 learders, nobody messed with them, and they left everybody else alone.

As far as my Cowhead, he only bite me once. I had just a small part of a few fingers in the water. He was 1/2 his present size, and it did draw blood, and plenty of it. It was dripping down off my finger.