Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences

Old 01/09/2007, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

I don't go to reefcentral very much but I have to say I had a custom tank done by Aquatic Concepts and I am very happy. The owners are very nice and willing to help as much as they can. I doubt they have ever been dubbed Aqua Cons. They are a small company that have really good customer service. They are in the process of moving so this might explain some things. Make sure you call them before you judge them.
Old 01/09/2007, 08:27 PM
Original Zen Cube

I will give them a call because they have not been replying my emails.
A couple things though,
How can you doubt they were dubbed "aqua cons"? People told me that nickname on two different forums... what do you think "dubbed" to means?
Also, regardless of how nice you think they are, they passed off the tank that I built as their own work and used the photo without my permission in a for-profit venture...
Thirdly, I have a hard time believing that someone who joined RC today just to comment in this thread and tell everyone how "nice" the owners are, isn't somehow involved with the store in question. If so, please reply to my emails..

_ Chad
Old 01/09/2007, 09:23 PM
10 & Over Club

tarheelttv and PDaye can you explain how you both came to post from the exact same location?

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 01/09/2007, 10:13 PM
RC Sponsor

Location: Fringes of the REEF and cultural desert Arkansas, USA
LOL ahhahahha same location IP gives away everything...

Anyway People use my photography all the time... at first I was surprised then I even added watermarks so at least I get credit. In the end I have decided it is just an odd form of compliment. Thats how I deal with it--- BTW your MOD looks awesome! sounds like an Idea I may try... LOL but I'll take my own picture
Old 01/09/2007, 10:33 PM
Indiana Jones Of SPS

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8940162#post8940162 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by billsreef
tarheelttv and PDaye can you explain how you both came to post from the exact same location?

Someone just figured out Blues Clues

DVRC Vice President
Old 01/09/2007, 11:08 PM
Original Zen Cube

Bill,
You sir, are the man. Hat's off - seriously
After 4+ years of reading... yours was, by far, my favorite post.

doctor,
Thanks for the compliment. Please do set up a tank like that... I don't want to give the impression that I want to copyright the idea or anything like that. I posted on RC because I wanted to share this idea will fellow hobbyists. If AC had built their own tank from my design there wouldn't have been a problem - because then their photo would actually be an example of their own work...
By the way, I'd love to see it if you ever do start something like that up.

Jay,
After Bill's revelation, the Blue's clues comment was priceless.

Goodnight all,

- Chad
Old 01/09/2007, 11:58 PM
Registered Member

You reep what you sow. 80% of all new business fail with in the first 5 years.
Genesis 2:28
God blessed them and said to them,"Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground."
Old 01/10/2007, 12:06 AM
Original Zen Cube

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8941726#post8941726 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Plato
You reep what you sow.
Well put!
The sad thing is that there are a lot of honest business owners that care about the hobby and their customers that are struggling to stay in the black.

- Chad
Old 01/10/2007, 12:33 AM
Registered Member

DMCA - Digital Millennium Copyright Act

Chad,
With my involvment in website design we have had to deal with others stealing our work and photos on numerous occasions.
Your photo is just that, YOUR photo. As the photographer you own the image and whether you post "copyright me" where you use it or not does not matter. They are still violating your copyrights.

There is a very simple and effective fix for you... Their business is their website. You need to look at this link:

You can easily file a complaint with each search engine, and his hosting company as well, and have his site removed from the search engine listings and even taken down by his web hosting company. This is the best way to teach someone not to steal other's work. The loss of business will hurt more than any amount of posting and sending e-mails you can do.

Hope this helps!
Old 01/10/2007, 12:39 AM
Registered Member

Chad,
With my involvment in website design we have had to deal with others stealing our work and photos on numerous occasions.
Your photo is just that, YOUR photo. As the photographer you own the image and whether you post "copyright me" where you use it or not does not matter. They are still violating your copyrights.

There is a very simple and effective fix for you... Their business is their website. You need to look at this link:

You can easily file a complaint with each search engine, and his hosting company as well, and have his site removed from the search engine listings and even taken down by his web hosting company. This is the best way to teach someone not to steal other's work. The loss of business will hurt more than any amount of posting and sending e-mails you can do.

Hope this helps!
Old 01/10/2007, 12:39 AM
Original Zen Cube

usemore,
Wow. That does really help!!! Thanks for showing up with such helpful info. I will check out that link.
(I'm amazed at the different resourses we have on this site.)

All the best,
- Chad
Old 01/10/2007, 01:08 AM
Registered Member

No problem Chad.
Hit them where it hurts and you get results.

I forgot to mention, BEFORE you file the complaints, be sure to save to your computer a screen-shot of their webpage showing your image in use on their site. That way if/when they take it down you have saved proof of their use. You can also save a copy of the web-pages source code as further proof with the screen-shot.

Let me know if you need more info on how to save either of those.
Old 01/10/2007, 01:21 AM
Registered Member

BTW, here is all the registered info for the company's domain registration, and their hosting company.

To file that DMCA complaint with their hosting company, contact
IX Webhosting

---------------------------------------------

Domain name: AC-NC.COM

Administrative Contact:
-
Richard Mai (richard_mai@excite.com)
+1.9196191977
Fax: +1.9196191977
4577 Fifth Avenue
Saint Augustine, FL 32095
US

Technical Contact:
-
+1.9196191977
4577 Fifth Avenue
US

Registrant Contact:
-
+1.9196191977
4577 Fifth Avenue
US

Name Servers:
ns1.ixwebhosting.com
ns2.ixwebhosting.com

Creation date: 04 Apr 2004 22:49:53
Expiration date: 04 Apr 2007 22:49:53
Old 01/10/2007, 08:59 AM
Original Zen Cube

usemore,
Thanks! You have really gone above and beyond.

As of this morning, my photo has been removed from their website. I never got an explanation or an apology but things still turned out alright.

Thanks everyone for your support and your help.

Cheers,

- Chad
Old 01/10/2007, 12:39 PM
Original Zen Cube

Update,

Hello everyone I received an emial this morning from the owner of AC apologizing for the incident. I don't buy the "web designer thought it was nice" excuse - just because you like the looks of a product doesn't mean that you can promote that product as something you made, or sell. Aside from that, I was impressed with Tin's email. Here it is:

Hi Chad,
This is Tin owner of Aquatic Concepts. I apoligize for your photo being on our website. Our web designer found it and thought is was a great looking cube. Our email systems have been down so I have not received any emails. If I would have known about it I would have taken in down sooner. We actually are dealing with the same situation with people using our pictures so I know how you feel. Once again we are sorry for what happened. I really think you have a unique cube design.
Thank You. I do not visit reef central often. feel free to call me at XXXXXXX
or email XXXXXXX
(edited out incase of phishing)

Thanks everyone for your help!

- Chad
Old 01/11/2007, 10:52 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

MY 02. cents. FOR AC -Your the owner, you should whole heatedly know all the doings in your business. Especially the website your company has and its pictures... Knowing that this has supposedly happend to you before... You should have know that this specific picture of a tank is not your company's creation. You shouldn't have been using it from the get.

If you know how our fellow reefer felt then you shouldn't have used the picture at all. and only use pictures of actual tanks built by your company.

" Charles V "
Old 01/11/2007, 06:00 PM
NaCL-H20 REEFER EXPERT

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8940677#post8940677 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by doctor64776
LOL ahhahahha same location IP gives away everything...

Anyway People use my photography all the time... at first I was surprised then I even added watermarks so at least I get credit. In the end I have decided it is just an odd form of compliment. Thats how I deal with it--- BTW your MOD looks awesome! sounds like an Idea I may try... LOL but I'll take my own picture

Man this os friggin funny as hell. I think hat im going to start posting with a new username and then start another one saying its my brother from a long lost marriage. That i havnet seen in 30 yrs.

Then say that i just found my mother from 20 yrs ago that will be funny...
Old 01/11/2007, 07:46 PM
Registered Member

Dear Sir:

I did not know the picture on my web site was not mine because I have the IQ of a peanut. I wondered why I didn't remember building it, but just figured it was the crack again.

Sincerely,
Blithering Idiot

LMFAO
Old 01/11/2007, 08:50 PM
Original Zen Cube

asmodeus,
Hey dude, I think I recognize you from canreef.

delsol,
Well said.

Thhitman,
......the crack comment killed me.....
Old 01/11/2007, 09:25 PM
NaCL-H20 REEFER EXPERT

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8958095#post8958095 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ninjafish
asmodeus,
Hey dude, I think I recognize you from canreef.

Due you are right glad that everything is getting sorted out
Old 01/12/2007, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

be careful what you put on a public forum.