Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences

Old 10/04/2006, 11:18 PM
Premium Member

custom tank builders

i have been checking out glasscages.com and miracles aquarium, can anyone recommend some good websites for custom built tanks.

Thanks
Rob
Old 10/05/2006, 12:29 AM
Premium Member

Aquarium Obsessed
http://www.aquariumobsessed.com
Old 11/14/2006, 04:10 PM
Registered Member

Befor you think twice about glass cages read their review, bad customer service. Don't go with an company that offers a 5 year warrinty that has only been in business for a year. No matter who you order from, check out their local Better Business Beauro.
Genesis 2:28
God blessed them and said to them,"Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground."
Old 11/14/2006, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

Don't go to AFY. Read the other post. And that's not even close to the whole story.
Old 11/15/2006, 09:10 AM
Registered Member

tony13, I noticed you are in NJ, have you had personal experience with AFY.
God blessed them and said to them,"Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground."
Old 11/15/2006, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

Plato they made my present tank. I see you saw the other thread for some of the problems I had with them. That's not even half the story. I was told by some fellow reefers of the troubles they had with them, but thinking I'm so close (30 minutes) I figured it would be different for me. How wrong I was. I'm sure many people are happy with them but I know of many that are not.
Old 11/15/2006, 08:00 PM
Patient Reefer

I bought my 390 from Glass Cages. No problems.
Old 11/16/2006, 09:23 AM
Registered Member

mflamb, how long have you had you tank. Is it low iron, and how was you buying experience with glass cages. Would you buy from them again.
Old 11/16/2006, 08:27 PM
Patient Reefer

I've only had the tank 2 months, not low iron, fabulous buying experience. I wanted 8 holes drilled, 3 overflow boxes, and eurobracing to allow 3 MH pendants. "No problem" I would definitely buy from them again.
Mike
Old 11/17/2006, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the info.
Old 11/17/2006, 05:22 PM
RC Sponsor

I had a 1000 Gallon tank built by Aquariums For You(AFY). VERY NICE I WILL HAVE TO SAY! They did an excellent job and I had GREAT service from them...

Hope this helps,
Chad D. Bryant
--
Old 11/20/2006, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

For the price that AFY is asking they shoulld include in home white glove instalation. I called and got a quote :0

Glass Aquarium – 72”L x 30”D x 36”H; 335 gal; $ 2535.00
Option: 4-sides Optically-Clear $ 1300.00
Island overflow-boxes, holes drilled, bulkheads, silent-drain & return hardware $ 275.00
Powder-coated steel support stand $ 960.00
Delivery – Common-carrier to NC commercial site w/ fork-lift $795.00 That is a % of 4110.00 just for the tank plus
Shipping and stand 5865.00

Five thousand eighthundred and sixty five dollers.

My normal builder same as above = oh about 1/2 the price.

great service = mabe, but to be able to save about 3000.00 (yes thats three thousand dollars) is definately something to think about
Old 11/22/2006, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8545667#post8545667 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Plato
Befor you think twice about glass cages read their review, bad customer service. Don't go with an company that offers a 5 year warrinty that has only been in business for a year. No matter who you order from, check out their local Better Business Beauro.
Well, here's my reveiw of them in their defense.

I ordered a 20x20x16 acrylic cube tank from them last tuesday.
It showed up today. It was packed very well, arrived in a timely fashion, and was far more than I expected for 70 bucks.

If I have anything to ***** about it would be that the inside radius of the corner bends wasn't taken down which affected the finish of the corners, but the tank is sealed extremely well and is more than strong enough. There are a few bubbles in the seams, but for 70 bucks what do you really expect?

Based on all of that I really have nothing to complain about.
I don't care who you go through, there are going to be good and bad experiences, and the bad always seem to overshadow the good when someone comes on here and prematurely fires off without attempting to work out their dissatisfaction in a polite manner with the vendor, or when someone who has no clue goes by what they heard. hehe I mean seriously.

I have also heard mention of them being impolite when calling to order. Truth be told, I was greeted in a polite professional fashion, asked all the right questions, and in seeing the finished product here in front of me, I couldn't be more pleased for the price.

I have no experience with their glass tanks, but for anyone looking at a smaller acrylic tank, give them a try. Especially if you are looking for something competitively priced.

If you want the absolute best in fit and finish, then go elsewhere, but even the best have their fair share of bad reviews too.

I am glad I gave them a chance and didn't draw conclusions based on a bunch of hear say.

Food for thought.