Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/30/2004, 09:49 PM
Premium Member

I am not sure how the ich got in tank, 2 possibilities. The first fish to show it was my Long nose butterfly, then 5 days later the royal grammas. They are the only ich fish so far. The Long nose has been in tank for close to 6 months, so she didnt bring it. The last fish I introduced to tank were the grammas, that was a few weeks ago. They were in q tank and fine before going to the tank. Then I added the two clams, maybe some how it was on them. They were not q tanked.
AEA. I read your thread about your problem with ich, that changed my mind about doing hypo. I now plan to use cupramine in q tank. I am still trieing to catch all the fish so tank is fishless. I have 1 20g tank running with LNB, lawnmower and a new tang. I plan to add the royal grams to that tank. I plan to get another 29 gallon for the Naso tang and pair of clowns and the firefsh. If I can catch evrything thats the plan. I will also treat my tank for flat worms when all the fish are gone, I have been afraid to do this while fish are in there. I will also feed garlic in q tank.
Old 11/30/2004, 10:09 PM
My Kung Fu is strong!

not that your tank isn't awesome tony, but I think i'm more impressed by the photogrophy.
did you take classes?
Old 11/30/2004, 10:19 PM
Premium Member

Thanks
I learned by reading books, and online.
Old 12/02/2004, 10:06 PM
Premium Member

I have the 29g setup for a 2nd q tank.
I never got the garlic extreme and a few other products from Marine Depot. I used to recomend Marine Depot , I no longer recomend them. I placed 3 orders on Sunday with them and emailed them asking them to overnight the things I needed . They called me Monday at 6pm to tell me they wouldnt send them all together because the orders were seperate and they were filled in 5 mnutes. 5 minutes on a Sunday? No call till 6 pm Monday? It is now Thursday eve and still have not received some of the items. So I placed the same orders for the missing items with Pet Solutions wed eve. On thursday 9 am, they called to confirm I wanted the things overnighted. That is more like it.
Old 12/03/2004, 09:52 AM
Queen Premium Member

I like Petsolutions. I'm glad they came through for you. Let us know how everything goes. Do you have a pic of your QT? Maybe there are some newbs out there that aren't sure how to set one up, maybe if you take a pic of yours with details as to what's init, it may help someone. You are doing great Tony!!!

Amanda
Old 12/03/2004, 02:55 PM
Addicted to H2O

I too have had only good experiences with Petsolutions. I hope everything works out for you, Tony. Looks like you are on the right track!

Life is the art of drawing without an eraser.
Old 12/03/2004, 04:27 PM
Reef Mania

We ordered about 300.00 worth of drygoods from Pet Solutions and got it the next day without even overnighting it. We are in Michigan and it was shipped out of Ohio, so it just comes the next day for the most part and we even got it at 10am.

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 12/03/2004, 11:31 PM
Premium Member

I could not catch any of the other fish in the main tank. Have tried for three days, final attempt was to remove all rock and coral on half the tank with a divider down the middle, the fish got past the divider and into the rock work on the other side. The fish have gotten the better of me here. It would be too much to remove everything from the tank. So now all I can do is try to feed garlic and hope the fish can build an immunity . I will leave the three in the q tank with the copper treatment to at least cure them , maybe they will build immmunity. Now I have a 20 g and a 29g running with nothing in the 29g. That could be trouble.
Old 12/04/2004, 12:06 AM
Queen Premium Member

Tony, I Sooooo feel your pain. I went through the same thing!!! You have a shoulder to cry on!!

Amanda
Old 12/04/2004, 12:11 AM
Registered Member

tank is amazing. what species of coral do you have? what's that neon green coral to the left? great work.
Old 12/04/2004, 08:41 PM
Premium Member

AEA , did you ever fully go fish free tank for 6 weeks to rid the tank of ich, or did you end up trieing the garlic route?
Old 12/05/2004, 10:15 AM
Queen Premium Member

I went 6 weeks, but ended up with only a couple fish surviving, then I returned them to the LFS.
Old 12/07/2004, 08:13 PM
Premium Member

Update on my Ich. I put all the fish from the qt into the main tank again. I could not remove all the fish from the main tank so I could not remove all Ich anyway . The fish stopped eating in QT. So they are back and happy in the main tank and eating again. Ich may be bad but the stress of qt is worse. I am feeding them their food soaked in garlic , hopefully they will build up defense to fight off the ich. As of now they are ok. I will keep updated to see whats up in 2 months.
Old 12/07/2004, 09:05 PM
Premium Member

Good to hear that they are doing better
Old 12/07/2004, 09:28 PM
Reef Mania

Good luck with that. I did the same thing because the reef safe stuff does not work most of the time. I started soaking my flake food in garlic in the morning and fed them with that, and I soaked there night time mix of frozen mysis/prime reef with garlic as well. They got better in less than a week and I still to this day mix my blend with garlic to keep there slime coat healthy. The galic also expells from there poors so to speak and the Ich is not suppose to like that either.

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 12/14/2004, 11:21 PM
Reef Mania

How goes it on the ich front, are the fish doing well?

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 12/15/2004, 12:33 AM
Registered Member

Tony - Do you shop at the Hidden Reef?

If so, what do you think of the store? and the quality of the fish? Do you find that you need to snag them up quickly...before anything happens to them from the tanks there?

Thanks, your neighbor
Old 12/15/2004, 12:36 AM
Registered Member

Does anyone make their own garlic?
Old 12/15/2004, 01:59 AM
Fiddles With Reef

Great thread.

I really like these threads where people take you on their journey. Seeing Tony's tank progress from September to December and hearing about everything is a real inspiration. Shame to hear about the Ich - I guess alot of marine fishkeepers go through this nightmare. I'm very interested to hear about this garlic method of feeding. What kind of garlic - some form of liquid garlic? I use garlic paste when I cook sometimes so is it this just liquidfied? Enquiring minds need to know.

Tony, you said the stress of the QT tank was worse than the ich? Is this purely because you had an uncycled QT tank? Could you not have done a water change and pumped off 20 gallons of main tank water into the QT tank?

340g In-Wall Envision Tank and 150g Sump (fuge and grow-out).
Old 12/15/2004, 09:37 AM
Premium Member

Update.
My Long Nose Yellow Butterfly, one of my very favorit fish , did not make it. She stopped eating in qt, then when put back into the main tank she started to eat for a couple days, then stopped again, then 3 days later died. Lawn Mower also disapeared. They were both in the qtank with Cupramine. I do not think the ich did them in, they no longer had any Ich on them when I put them back into the main tank, I think the stress and the Cupramine did them in.
rock , I have never been to the Hidden Reaf , where is it?
I tried to crush garlic no juice came out.
I got Garlic Xtreme and I drip about 6-8 drops of it on the flake food in the morning and evening.
My Naso tang, Yellow tang, firefish , clowns , royal gramas, yelow watchman are all doing well and showing no signs of Ich.

NexDog, the galic I use Garlic Xtreme is liquid , it comes in a small bottle with an eye droper in it.
I said the stress of q tank because the fish seemed miserable in there. They didnt eat and looked sad to be there. The filtering I used was cycled. The water never showed any ammonia or nitrite. The water was taken right from the main tank , so it was just what they were used to.
I am hoping that none of my fish show any Ich over the next 4 weeks , then i will assume they are imune to it , or that the garlic helped. I plan to replace my Lawn mower , and also get a six line wrasse to hopefully eat my flat worms, and maybe a spotted mandarin to eat the flat worms too. But I will wait till mid january to get them.
Old 12/15/2004, 10:20 AM
Premium Member

I have the same experience with the quarentine tank, which is cycled now with two Pajama Cardinals. When a perfectly healthy, eating fish that I purchase goes into the quarentine tank, it almost always just gets stressed out, hiding in the rock that I have in there and, most often, will just stop eating. I have had this happen a good number of times, and I just put the fish into the reef to save its life. I've never done this with a fish that looks unhealthy and I was attempting to quarentine them just for safety's sake. So far, no diseases or parasites resulted in the reef...I hope it doesn't, but the quarentine tank doesn't appear to be a good alternative.
Old 12/15/2004, 10:21 AM
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about your loss. Long nose are beautiful fish.
Old 12/15/2004, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

I've never had any luck with QTs either. Had a flame angle that got ick. QTd him and die in a week.
Old 12/15/2004, 10:40 AM
Reef Mania

Sorry about your losses.

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 12/15/2004, 11:03 AM
Registered Member

Tony - So sorry to hear about your LNB - my favorite fish ever! The Hidden Reef is in the NE right on Roosevelt Blvd. Where do you purchase your fish? I read another thread about making your own garlic. - That's why I was asking. I tried in the food processor. I started with a jar of minced garlic from the market for about $3.50 and then I liquified it, it seems to work but it thickens up so you have to shake well before using. :-)

I wish you the best of luck!

My Niger Trigger has been acting strange for the last week. These little guys (all fish) really have personalities.