Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/13/2004, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

Starting my tank

I just started my 20 gallon tank yesterday by adding salt to the water. I was so nervous that I would screw up on step 1. There is still a little salt on the bottom that hasn't dissolved. I did a specific gravity reading on a deep six hydrometer and it read around 1.024. I work at a clinic and we have a good refractometer and it read as 1.020 on that. I don't know, is it a little low? Should I add a little more salt or is it ok? The temp is right about at the 75 degrees mark.
Old 12/13/2004, 11:17 PM
RC Mod

I target about 1.026-1.027 for SG, so I'd raise it. My swing-arm hydrometer was pretty horrible, so I don't trust them in general anymore.
Old 12/13/2004, 11:37 PM
Registered Member

One of the beauties of a refractometer is that you can calibrate it to zero using plain water. Once you've done that, I'd trust your refractometer reading over the floating version.

Have fun with your tank, are you planning on doing a reef or fish only? Have you added sand and done rock work?
Old 12/13/2004, 11:57 PM
Registered Member

Fish only is good around 1.024, corals, a bit higher.

Welcome and good luck to you
Old 12/14/2004, 12:02 AM
Premium Member

I would wait until ALL the salt is dissolved in the tank before making any changes or trusting any reading. In my 50 gallon tank, I thought there was 'just a little salt' undissolved, but once it did dissolve it brought it to the right amount for my tank. I would definitely trust the refractometer over the plastic hydrometer. I would calibrate the refractometer with distilled water depending on how nasty your tap water is.
Old 12/14/2004, 12:10 AM
Professional somedays

Good call teevoys! Wait until the salt is all dissolved before adding more. Do you have any rock or anything in there? Whats moving the water around and what do you plan on doing with the tank?
Old 12/14/2004, 11:13 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I don't have anything in the tank yet. I'm going to put in live rock and live sand when I make sure it is at a good reading. I'm just going to have live rock, sand, a clown fish, a royal gamma, and a clean up crew uptil I get use to a saltwater tank and then I might get into corals. I have a aquaclear filter and I just have the foam filter in the back. I've heard of people making it into a fuge in the back and I think I might try that.
Old 12/14/2004, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

hi
firstly to suzyq - WELCOME TO REEF CENTRAL!

hehehe ... i say raise it!

some useful tips to start off as a newbie:

1 - read alot , research alot
2 - always ask question and listen to experience reefers
3 - go slow & be patience

cheers & good luck
Old 12/14/2004, 02:47 PM
Premium Member

So, how did the reading end up after all the salt dissolved?