Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/13/2004, 11:55 PM
Registered Member

What is the RIGHT PUMP for a 180 GAL

Hi Everyone.

I have searched high and low and can't find the answer to this question.

I have a 180 gal (just upgraded from 75 gal) and want to know if I have enough flow.

I have a home made 30 gal wet dry sump with two overflow boxes. I also have a Nautilus TE skimmer in the sump.

I am also running a Fluval 404 for mechanical filtration.

WHAT SIZE PUMP/OR FLOW RATE IS RECOMMENDED FOR THE RETURN.

Thanks much
Old 12/14/2004, 01:03 AM
Registered Member

i have a 150 with two over flow cpr 100 and i have a mag 24 they all work awsome together
Old 12/14/2004, 07:06 AM
Premium Member

The bottom line is that you should look for a turnover rate of at least 10x per hour...I think I have close to 22x in my 125, but that is comprised of my return pump and some powerheads....it does not all need to be done by the return pump as that alone is usually not enough to provide good current throughout the entire tank....a couple of powerheads pointing in key positions help out alot, or some tunze's, whatever...what are the two overflow boxes rated for, that will really determine the return pump...I am guessing you probably have two 600gph overflows....so if you go a 1800gph pump with a ball valve on the output you should be fine, after head loss etc..whatever parts of the tank do not get the flow, add powerheads...

DaveC
Old 12/14/2004, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

I have a cap 1800 in there now. - Also, the two overflow boxes are ones that were taken from the two smaller wet dry filters I had rated for a 125 gallon tank.
Old 12/14/2004, 04:55 PM
Red Wizard is on a diet!

I have a pondmaster mag 18 (1800gph) that I'm setting up on my 90. That's 20x to start with, but then add in head preasure, friction, 90degree elbows and things, it's more like 1200gph at the most. Go bigger like a 2400gph or a 3200gph pump and don't worry about all that stuff......
Old 12/14/2004, 05:04 PM
Brotherhood Of The Reef

Depending on your overflows, you will be able to handle between 1200 and 1400 GPH max assuming 2 x 1 inch outlets.
Do not confuse requirements for circulation within the tank, with sump throughput requirements. Any more flow through your sump than effectively maximizes your skimmer is a waste of energy and a potential source of microbubbles. Assuming your skimmer can process 2 - 3 times tank capacity per hour, 4 - 6 times should adequately keep the skimmer output maxed. That said, about 1200 GPH flowing through the sump back into the tank, is plenty.
Old 12/15/2004, 12:22 AM
Registered Member

Thanks everyone. I definately need a better pump, mine is rated much too low.
Old 12/15/2004, 12:26 AM
Registered Member

Everyone gave me such good advice. Thanks. I will have to upgrade my pump also.

The one I have is not rated to deliver that much GPH - around 650 or so.

I will have to buy another one perhaps tomorrow. The only problem is that none of my LFS have a nice selection.

I will have to drive around 50 miles or so. Anything for my babies!!
Old 12/15/2004, 11:41 AM
Brotherhood Of The Reef

Why not buy online from Premium Aquatics, etc.
It will be much cheaper and you'll have it in a couple of days.