Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/05/2007, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

green slimer half brown

My green slimer (about 3 inches) is turning brown on the bottom half............. it is in a 75 with 6 T5s totalling 324 watts. I havegrown slimers before .............

Would it likely tuirn brown (bottom only) because I have it too deep in the tank (about 1/2 way) or because the water temp was at 87 for a 1/2 day. Anything I should do - I was thinking of moving it up. Thx.
Old 08/05/2007, 01:05 PM
SPS Slave

Please Read

No offense intended, but you will likely not get any helpful answers if you don't provide the necessary information.
Old 08/05/2007, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

Thx. Point by point ............

1. System age and size (volume including sump). 95 gallons or so

2. System type (Jaubert, Berlin, modified berlin, etc.). Fuge has cheato and live sand.

3. Water flow (amount and type). Iwaki 820 return, vortec (nmot sure how much but a lot) and 2 hydros at 825

4. Filtration type (algae scrubber, skimmer, bio-wheel, etc.). skimmer, LR, chaeto, live sand

5. Lighting photoperiod, scheme, color temp, type and wattage (NO flourescents, VHO or HO, Power compacts, halides). T5, mix of 2 pure actinic, 2 18,000K 1 10,000K and 1 super actnic plus (half and half) actinics are on for 10 hours and regulars 8.5 hours, 54 watts each total 324 watts

6. Water parameters (temperature, calcium, alkalinity, salinity, ammonia, nitrites/trates, magnesium, etc.) (the more the better). temp high lately but steady 81 for last dyay and a half, calcium 350, alk 12, nitrites & ammonia 0, nitrates <10, magnesium 1200 or better. PO4 undetectable.

7. Tank inhabitants (types of coral, fish, inverts, etc.). I have no fish that I have even seen nip the coralsd. Pygymy angle, 2 flasher wrasses, a painted clown wrasse, kole tang, madarin, pair of ocellaris, foxface rabbitfish, cleaner goby, copperband butterfly (he never touches any of the corals and sucks dfown mysis and brine like its going out of style.) several hermit crab (blue and red) 2 cleaner shrimp.

8. Type of water used for top-off/water changes (straight tap, TWP, RO, RO/DI, etc.). RO/DI

9. Additives used (kalkwasser, B-Ionic, calcium reactor [include media type], etc.). I have been adding two partt clacium to get calcium up but have kalk waiting ..........

10. Feeding (schedule and type). Tank? vegies 3xs per week, NLS once or twice each day (little) and mysis or sprulina brine mysisd mix most days. Reef chili or Frenzy every couple of days. Live phyto daily, some rotifers or baby brine on occassion. I try to vary and not feed too much. 3x a week I feed LPS after dark with mysis.

Thx and no offense taken
Old 08/09/2007, 02:49 PM
SPS Slave

Thank you for the additional info. A few more questions:

Is there adequate flow around the base of the coral?
What about lighting, is it shaded around the base?
Are any other corals in the system showing signs of stress? Is there any other coral nearby the slimer (getting similar flow and lighting) - how does it look?

The temp spike (87) was pretty severe - I think that is about the upper end of tolerance before you have some very serious problems. Are you keeping temp stable now?

Your alk (if that is dKH) looks a bit high, but not so much that it should cause problems. Has it been stable?