Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/25/2007, 11:38 AM
Registered Member

Question Power heads Tunze 6000 vs Vortech?

Sorry if this has already been covered. I tried the search and it told me it was busy so I looked through the first 6 or so pages of posts and did not see this topic. I have seen Tunze vs just about everything else and even seen a couple Vortech only threads, but none that gave an opinion on what is a better choice.

I need to add some current to my tank other than the Tunze wavebox that I already have, so I was looking at the following 2 and was hoping someone had some thoughts on either of these guys.

The first is the obvious, going with the Tunze stream kit.
2 6000s with a 7095 multi controller.

The second is that new Ecotech Vortech system. The motor is a lot smaller but cannot be angled.
I was thinking 2 of these and adding the controller once available this summer.

The main things I am looking to get is low intrusion in my tank, I don't even like the look of the wavebox, so less is more, but I want a good amount of water movement that will not upset my LPS and soft corals, so direct or strong currents are not good, but I want enough water movement to keep my SPS happy. I like the tidal or pulse settings you get with the 7095 using the 6000s, but I am hoping I can do the same with the Vortechs.

Just a bit of insight on my tank, it is a 180g with way to much live rock. I do have a Tunze Wavebox and about 1k per hour flow from my returns. I think the only thing I am missing is some cross current to make the coral happy.

Please let me know any thoughts you may have.

As always, thanks

Setec
Old 06/25/2007, 11:22 PM
Registered Member

I have a TS 24 kit from tunzy. I love it and the flow is fantastic. The tank is a 275 acrylic 1" thick. I purchase a vortech pump to be used as a battery back up during power outage. I was not happy with the flow it produced, it may of been due to the thickness of the acrylic but the manufactures said it is made to handel that thick of material. I was also disapointed in it construction. It looked like someone's DIY project. The main propeller is an Octura 440, the same one I use on my r/c nitro boat, go figure. I belive you will be much more happy with the tunzy, you must check out the mini streams easer to mount and easer to direct.
Genesis 2:28
God blessed them and said to them,"Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground."
Old 06/26/2007, 07:44 AM
Registered Member

So 2 NanoStream 6055 and a 7095 multicontroller? Sound like a good set up for a 180g? The hard part it seems is finding the 6055s, but I do like the size and mounting options.
Old 06/26/2007, 09:09 AM
Premium Member

Unless something has changed recently, the Vortech is NOT designed for use on 1" thick panes. 3/4" is the thickest, and you have to take off the pin spacer for that. I don't know who you spoke with at EcoTech, but everyone I've spoken with or seen post has been very clear on this.

I don't think this would impact flow however. The Vortechs have a very wide, diffuse flow, so its not as "intense" as a power-head with equal flow if you're measuring it down the middle.

As for the construction comments...mine seem fine, and really...who cares what kind of propeller it uses? Its irrelevant if it works, and for me at least, they work great. Pricey, but then so are Tunzes.

jds

Quote:
Originally posted by Plato
I have a TS 24 kit from tunzy. I love it and the flow is fantastic. The tank is a 275 acrylic 1" thick. I purchase a vortech pump to be used as a battery back up during power outage. I was not happy with the flow it produced, it may of been due to the thickness of the acrylic but the manufactures said it is made to handel that thick of material. I was also disapointed in it construction. It looked like someone's DIY project. The main propeller is an Octura 440, the same one I use on my r/c nitro boat, go figure. I belive you will be much more happy with the tunzy, you must check out the mini streams easer to mount and easer to direct.
Old 06/26/2007, 09:43 AM
Registered Member

Sorry, I forgot to mention I have a 120 gallon all-glass tank that is used for an refugium on the 275. I tried the vortech their. Same performance, disaponting. In that tank I have a tunzy 6060, the vortech doesn't come close to the same water flow.
The manufacture is who I spoke with on the placment of the vortech on 1" surface. So either they are lying just to sell a product or the people you spoke with ,bureau13, were mis informed. Either way tunzy is a far better product. Look at how long they have been in business. I own a 83 Porshe 944 with over 350k miles on it, leave it to the Germans to make a quality product!
Genesis 2:28
God blessed them and said to them,"Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground."
Old 06/26/2007, 09:52 AM
Registered Member

Well I have a 180 All Glass, so the thickness is not an issue with me. Since you own a Vortech bureau13, have you ever used a Tunze? Now that I have started looking at the Tunze NanoStream 6055, I am even more torn. It just adds one more pump to consider, so I am getting further from a decision.

As for construction, I dont care what the stuff is made of, it can be cardboard for all I care as long as it works well and holds up. I am not concerned about heat due to having a chiller as it is. I am concerned about space, looks, and flow. I want non-direct random flow that will compliment my wavebox not blow my lps off the rocks.
Old 06/26/2007, 10:03 AM
Registered Member

What Tunze would you guys for on a 90 gallon the 6100.
Old 06/26/2007, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

I just got off the phone with Tunze and they do not recommend the nanostreams for larger tanks due to the narrow flow. He said the new 6101s are coming out this week and you can adjust them all the way down to the low end of the 6000s and all the way up to the high end of the 6100s and they are only $310. So that puts them in the same price as the vortech with the same flow rates. Now my only concern is the size. How massive are these things in a tank? Can they be hidden well or made to not be so distracting?

I am leaning towards the 6101s now with a 7095 controller
Old 06/26/2007, 10:47 AM
RC Sponsor

Quote:

The manufacture is who I spoke with on the placment of the vortech on 1" surface. So either they are lying just to sell a product or the people you spoke with ,bureau13, were mis informed.
It has been advertised from the very beginning that the pump will only function up to 3/4" aquariums. This information is on our webpage, in our instruction manual, on this website and at all of our vendor's webpages. It is even written on the pump itself, in the form of the pin spacer sticker.

If you called us directly, there is no way that we would have claimed the pump will run on a 1" tank: it would serve us no good to tell this to a customer as he will just end up angered when the pump doesn't function properly.

-Tim
Old 06/26/2007, 11:58 AM
Premium Member

How are you measuring this? Remember, flow does not equal water pressure. The Vortech provides a wider flow path, which means the pressure of the water is going to be less than it would be for the same flow via a narrower "passage."

Look, I'm not a Tunze hater....they're great pumps, and if I weren't intrigued by the Vortech's technology, putting the hot motor outside, and being very unobtrusive inside the tank, etc I am sure I would have gone that route. To answer another poster's question, I have not personally had Tunzes...I replaced a pair of stream-modified MJ900s with the Vortechs.

jds

Quote:
Sorry, I forgot to mention I have a 120 gallon all-glass tank that is used for an refugium on the 275. I tried the vortech their. Same performance, disaponting. In that tank I have a tunzy 6060, the vortech doesn't come close to the same water flow.