Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/15/2006, 06:27 PM
Premium Member

ro/di flood

i have had this happen probably a dozen times where i turn on the ro/di unit and put the hose in a 39gal rubbermaid container to do a water change or water for top off. and i forget about the water at least 12gal has flooded the basement, carpet soak and wet the whole nine yards. what does everyone else do to not do this. when i was searching reefcentral and could not get in i noticed on tips something about a garden hose timer. anyone know what this is and how it works?
Old 03/15/2006, 06:40 PM
Premium Member

Get a shutoff kit.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113776

The float valve is attached to a bulkhead. A hole can be drilled into your garbage can easily with a flat wood bit. When the water filled and the float valve is lifted it produces back pressure which shuts off the water by means of a pressure selenoid.
Old 03/15/2006, 06:42 PM
Team RC Member

Set your kitchen range/microwave timer for an hour. Check it. Set it again for an hour---cheap, but it keeps your mind on the problem.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 03/15/2006, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

turn on a radio.
Old 03/15/2006, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

Place the bucket in a sink. But the Float valve is the best way to deal with this.
Old 03/15/2006, 07:02 PM
Premium Member

I fill my buckets in the bathroom tub. If they overflow, down the drain the water go.
Old 03/15/2006, 07:22 PM
Premium Member

thanks for the replys. i like the float switch idea i will have to pass this one to my husband who will be more the glad to put this on. i wish i had a sink this would save me the headache of the flood.
Old 03/15/2006, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

i had this happen for the first time a couple weeks ago. The carpet has been stained and looks aweful. Fortunately I have an extra float switch lying around which has been put into the 40g plastic garbage can I use to mix my water in. I only wanted to learn that lesson once!
Old 03/15/2006, 09:53 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fireman03
thanks for the replys. i like the float switch idea i will have to pass this one to my husband who will be more the glad to put this on.

I love how my wife finds more work for me to do! I'm going to have to change my password before you guys give her anymore ideas. lol
Old 03/16/2006, 12:06 AM
Registered Member

Just a FYI,

The float switch linked in the post to Dr. Fosters...

Check out premium aquatics for that thing!
It is a Kent Float Switch and is cheaper at Premium.
Hook up is a breeze. Pop a whole in the container to insert the float valve and hook up a few lines.
I have one and recommend it very very highly! Been there done that as for the floods. The float needs installed about 1" higher than where you want the water to stop.

Heres a link to PA page:

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch..._Code=kentroac