Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/01/2006, 02:54 PM
Premium Member

Carbon? What is the best way to implement it?

I have a question on the best way to utilize carbon. I realize that it is a bit controversial, but with the assumption that there is a place for it in a system, I was wondering what the best choice is.
I currently use it in mesh bags at about 1oz per gallon of system water. I place these mesh bags in filter socks that drain from my main tank into my sump. I change the filter socks out every week (also controversial but that is what I do) and rinse the carbon mesh bags each change and then change out the carbon every 4th sock change (ie. about every month). I have always wondered if I should be doing it differently.
I guess the real question is, is this the right way to be using carbon? Would using it in a fluidized bed filter be better? How do you really know if your carbon has been depleted and needs to be changed?
If anyone knows a source where I could find some science behind the issues here I would greatly appreciate it.
Also, if someone has a thought on where I should post this if this is not the right place that would be helpful as well.
Thanks!
Aquadog
Old 06/01/2006, 03:03 PM
Reef Chemist

I use marineland Black Diamond in a Magnum cannister filter, mixed with a little GFO (phosphate binder).

I think it is very hard to know for sure when your carbon is "depleted", and I suggest that folks just routinely replace it (say, every 3-4 weeks).

That assumes you are skimming too. If not, it may get depleted a lot faster, and you might also be able to use bubbles on the water surface to know when it is definitely time to replace it.
Old 06/01/2006, 03:44 PM
Premium Member

I use ESV Carbon as described above. I skim relatively heavily IMO so I guess the 3 to 4 week interval that I am using is probably ok. Does it matter re. mesh bag in a high flow area vs fluidized bed vs cannister? How about pre or post filter sock?
Thanks for the help. Just trying to put this to rest in my mind...
Old 06/01/2006, 04:31 PM
Cyanobacteria farmer

Is mixing carbon and GFO is safe? If so, what brand of GFO is good?
Old 06/01/2006, 07:36 PM
Premium Member

What do you mean by water bubbles on the surface? (in addition to my other questions)...
Old 06/01/2006, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

i have always heard carbon is the result of my blue hippos lateral line issue... (its not too bad) im hoping to figure out a cause for that and a definite solution ( if you know of any) buti have a carbon filter cartridge for my 30 gal tank and im not sure if i believe carbons "efects" (sorry if this is off topic) but if carbon is good to use then im not sure what its helpin or hurtin u know?!lol thanx
Old 06/01/2006, 09:17 PM
Premium Member

Randy,

Pardon a dumb question but how does observing the bubbles on top of the water surface give you information on when to change your carbon?
Old 06/02/2006, 06:28 AM
Reef Chemist

When organic surfactants build up, they will act like soaps, and bubbles will stay floating on the water surface rather than pop. I do not know that I would let it go that far, however. But if it is happening, you need more carbon or skimming.

i have always heard carbon is the result of my blue hippos lateral line issue... (its not too bad

I do not believe that using activated carbon causes lateral line disease.

Is mixing carbon and GFO is safe? If so, what brand of GFO is good?

No reason not to, IMO. I do not have a recommended GFO brand. I'm doing comparative testing on them now.