Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/02/2004, 10:14 PM
Registered Member

sump/ref critique

Hello DIY'ers

I am putting together a 29g glass tank to be my sump/refugium for my 100g acrylic tank.

The s/r hold about 15.5 gal.

The main tank with 1" groves in the overflows should only lose 5 gal of water if the pump goes out, leaving enough space.

If the return creates a siphon then it will only put another 1" or 5 more gal due to a hole in the return line to cause air to enter the system.

The pump return area is less than 3 gal so it willnot cause the main tank to overflow as it has about 1" of space if both drains are clogged.

Look ok?

any comments?

thanks
Old 11/03/2004, 12:31 AM
Reefer

Well done by The Shaws.

Will you be using an internal or external pump?
Old 11/03/2004, 09:04 AM
Registered Member

well, I was thinking internal as it would be easier. Any suggestions on the brand? I was leaning towards a mag 7 or 8.5.
Old 11/03/2004, 10:00 AM
Premium Member

With a pump area that small your going to need a auto top off! Also when your water goes over the last skimmer baffle it has a long way to fall and if you plan to use sand may cause a problem.

Good luck

Keith
Old 11/03/2004, 11:44 AM
Reefer

Two good thoughts to consider from Kc189. Make sure you plan accordingly in that regard. And I highly recommend an auto top-off.

The Mag pumps are a good value and your sizing sounds about right. Though I'd be more inclined to drill a whole in the side of the sump and use an external pump, if there is enough space. But internal is ok too, you'll just be adding a little more heat with an internal pump.
Old 11/03/2004, 04:44 PM
Registered Member

Great observation KC 189. I had not thought about the drop off causing turbulence but also the bubbles I was trying to eliminate

How about if I put in another 8" baffle 2" into the ref area?

Now, about the autofill. I love the idea but my concerns are as follows:

Autofill in area of sump return box. Overflows in main tank clog causing the sump to run dry. Overflow kicks on filling up the area pumping more water into a filling main tank. Eventually the main tank overfills.

Do I or can I put a shut off valve in the main tank to stop the sump pump if the main gets too full?

any links to that set up would be appreciated.

About drilling the glass tank. Seems more expensive but will consider.

go sox,

peter
Old 11/03/2004, 07:28 PM
Premium Member

Here are some things to consider.

1) It does not matter if bubble get into your Fuge.

A. You do not need all those baffles at the skimmer area. You need them after the Fuge. So just put one baffle between your skimmer and fuge. (I would make a hole in the middle of the baffle so that water can go though the middle. This way water does not just pass right over the top of the fuge.

2) Why not make all of the compartments the same height?

3) In a 100G you should be evaporating about 1.5 gallons a day or more. (I evaporate about 2 a day on my 60g) This being the case you must have a larger return area. There in no doubt in my mind that you will hate the fact you have to fill that sump up 2 a day.

4) Is there anyway you can fit a larger sump?

5) Auto top off. I would do an autotop off with a Kent Float Valve and do a small container that will not over flow your tank in the case your overflow fails. These are just my thoughts.

Good luck,

Keith