Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2008, 12:54 AM
Premium Member

ZEObak - new to product; rapid redox climb in 6 hours: safe?

I'm going to cross post here as you folks seem to have some experience with zeovit products. Here's my note. I just noticed another thread on lab tests of ZEO products got shut down due to heated discussions.

Rest assured, I'm not heated about anything. But I'm curious about the strong redox response (75 points upward and still climbing) after just 4 drops of ZEObak into my tank this afternoon. Is this safe stuff? I'll keep you posted if it goes into the 400s...which I have to say would make me quite happy if it appears to be a sustained response based on 2 4-drop doses per week.

Here's my original post:
ZEObak - 4 drops have raised my redox 50 points and still counting

Preamble: A few months ago I started monitoring redox in my tank (oxygen reduction potential). There's lots written about this, and it can be very technical, but basically the probe provides a number that gives a quick snapshot of the water quality of your tank. "Healthy tanks" have redox numbers of 300 to 450. When I started monitoring, my tank was sitting around 250. So I bought an ozonator to bring this number up. I've been running ozone for the past few weeks to raise my redox and clear water. For a while, I ran it full blast (50mg per hour) to bring it up to 325...it ran constantly to keep it at that level, and high levels of ozone (not too high, as it will harm your tank's fish, etc.) limit how effective skimming can be. In fact, at high levels I didn't skim much at all.

So I gave up and brought the ozone down to 5mg per hour. Skimming is now wonderful. Based on Delbeek and Sprung's writings, a small amount of ozone actually helps skimming by making larger org. molecules respond to skimming.

I resigned myself to a redox level of around 300.

In the meantime -- and not connected at all for me -- I read about "ZEObak," a drop solution you add every other day to your tank. "1 drop per 25 gallons twice a week." The product claims to provide "several bactieral strains that form a chain to reduce unwanted substances" and also says that corals can use the resulting bacterial balance as a food source.

Anyway, I ordered a bottel and it arrived today and I put 4 drops in my tank. Later -- a few hours later -- I noticed that my redox had started climbing dramatically. After a week or so at 300, with occassional dips to 250, it's at 350 and still climbing. It's never been that high -- even with full ozone.

I can't explain it otherwise. It's these bloody drops!

I'll monitor this change and keep you posted, but I'm amazed. Have others experienced this kind of thing? Is it safe?

Note 1: I'm not selling a thing; I don't know much about the product, have never used it, and don't give a damn who owns it. It comes from Germany and is available on line from our LFStores. This German company also carries other supplements, which I've also purchased, but this ZEObak stuff seems to be effective, to say the least.

Note 2: redox now at 375 and still climbing. Going to sleep now, but am eager to see what my readings are like tomorrow.

Note 3: all other levels are stable. PH 8.1 (nighttime); Salinity 1.0235; Temp 75.

Note 4: My Profilux monitors probe activity; tomorrow I'll load a screen pic of tank probe levels over the past few days, including the point at which ZEObak was introduced and the following redox climb.
Old 01/08/2008, 02:02 AM
Brother Maynard

there is a thread on zeovit in this forum that i answered. also, you can go to their forum and ask the mods there if they ever experienced this.

zeobac is a component of the zeovit system. yes, this is the bacterial strain part of the system and a vital one at that. but so is the food7, start2 and the zeolites.

most likely than not, dosing the bacteria will not have any ill effects on your tank...but i would be 'cautious' in the future about adding things without full understanding. there are things in the zeo line that can wreak utter chaos on your system if used incorrectly. heck, even too fast a flow rate through the rocks or too much rocks can have a very negative effect on your tank.

in theory and in practice, the zeobac is to be added to your system with the zeolites in place. the bacteria are to colonize the rocks and is fed by food7. as the bacteria grow in numbers, you are to 'shake' them off the rocks which are destined to be bacterioplanktonic food for corals. start2 is designated the nitrate and phosphate reduction solution to establish a low nutrient environment. all need to work concurrently and in synergy (just had to use that word) for a successful 'zeovit' system (which my explanation is much much too short to even go into mildly).

congrats on your increased redox!!!

give me a shout if you decide to saunter over the the zeo forum.

Ben.