Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/04/2008, 03:39 AM
Registered Member

OT: Need your opinion

I was driving down a main road today with my friend, he noticed a TV box sitting on the side of the road. I pulled over and we checked it out. It ended up being a brand new, unopend, Philips 50" plasma screen TV. We loaded it into my car and brought it to my house. The box was unopened, un-damaged, and un-manned by any person. The only problem with the box was it was a little wet because of the snow melting. What does everyone think of this? We thought, hey a free tv, lets take it. Can I get some guidance on weather I should keep it or do something about it?
-Kyle
Old 01/04/2008, 04:00 AM
PRoTeCToR oF ALL ReeF ;)

Haha how cool! Well in the case of it being usable dont! I mean dont plug it! When I had my TV delivered the guys said to leave it for at least four hours sitting. Maybe give it a day or so? A little on the extreme, but any tiny water particle should have evaporated. Best of luck!
Old 01/04/2008, 04:03 AM
Registered Member

I have it sitting out in my room right now. Going tomarrow to buy the mounting brackets. I still think it is very VERY odd. There was no damage what-so-ever to the box. My first thought was that it fell out of someones truck bed, but that is totaly out of the question. I'm just baffled, but extremely happy 8D
Old 01/04/2008, 04:06 AM
PRoTeCToR oF ALL ReeF ;)

Dang homie brackets and everything lol ... Just remember dont plug Would not be a bad idea to plug that baby Sunday for the wildcard game
Old 01/04/2008, 04:09 AM
Registered Member

I'm going to let it sit til saturday. I'm going downtown to rush street for my friends 21st tomarrow, leavin at 2, about an hour after I'll wake up heh. It will sit til Saturday until 2 or so. Thanks for the advice tho.
Old 01/04/2008, 04:20 AM
Registered Member

Make sure that thing gets some ventilation for a few days...lucky pick up. Hope there wasn't an owner though but if there was, I mean cmon out in the snow!

Last edited by clopez; 01/04/2008 at 04:27 AM.
Old 01/04/2008, 05:18 AM
Registered Member

It's sitting in my room on my table, just the TV with the styrafoam packing on it to keep it from getting damaged.
Old 01/04/2008, 08:52 AM
Registered Member

Somewhere there is a guy yelling at his son... " I told you to watch the new TV while I go park the car in the alley"

Store clerk to the same man... " Sir, I told you that for 50 dollars more we would install it, but noooooo, you wanted us to only deliver it"
Old 01/04/2008, 09:22 AM
Registered Member

What goes around, comes around
Old 01/04/2008, 09:32 AM
Missing in Action???

if you believe in Carma you should look for the owner b4 you do any thing
Call the local PD and see if its been reported
I whish I could claim it but I do believe in Carma

Good Luck whatever you do
Old 01/04/2008, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

Hey... that was my TV... it must have fallen out of my car.
Old 01/04/2008, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

you could sell it to me!!!!
Old 01/04/2008, 10:38 AM
Male Gigolo

Watch out, here come the moral police!!!!!

Old 01/04/2008, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

Weird......Maybe it was evidence that someone threw out the window. Maybe it is a 20/20 hidden camera investigation experiment about the morality of people in America. Was it in the road, or sitting nicely on the snow/grass? Is there a store price tag or UPS/FedEx tag on it? Was it trash-pickup day in that area? Did you ask the people who's house it was to identify it? Don't say, "Hey is that your brand new plasma tv", but maybe say "did you know there was a box by the curb, did you put it out for the trash folks? Can I have it for my kid?"
Old 01/04/2008, 01:24 PM
Registered Member

Actaully it was sitting on the side of randall road, which is a fairly large 4 and sometimes 6 lane road. It was laying in the side median. No it was not trash pick up day over there, its on mondays there. Oh, I'm 20 years old, so I don't have a kid yet 8D.
Old 01/04/2008, 02:46 PM
The Puppy Mill Police

Personally, Kyle, I'd call the PD in the town you found it in as Whiirly said. If no reports hook her up. I always go with the "what if I did something incredibly stupid? How would I feel about losing something?" theory.

Karma really and truly can be a female dog.
Old 01/04/2008, 02:46 PM
The Puppy Mill Police

Personally, Kyle, I'd call the PD in the town you found it in as Whiirly said. If no reports hook her up. I always go with the "what if I did something incredibly stupid? How would I feel about losing something?" theory.

Karma really and truly can be a female dog.
Old 01/04/2008, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

My friends dad is cop in the town, I'm going to give him a call and see what we can do. I'd be really mad if I lost my tv.
Old 01/04/2008, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by slave-of-rock
My friends dad is cop in the town, I'm going to give him a call and see what we can do. I'd be really mad if I lost my tv.
It will truly be "your" TV if nobody has claimed it as being missing... until then, you might as well consider it someone else's TV.
Old 01/04/2008, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

More than likely the T.V. won't be claimed and you'll get to keep it without having to feel guilty
Old 01/04/2008, 03:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by saleenpwr88
More than likely the T.V. won't be claimed and you'll get to keep it without having to feel guilty
I claimed it several hours (and nine posts) ago...
Old 01/04/2008, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

LOL, nice....I guess the real question is, how does someone lose something that big?
Old 01/04/2008, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

Hummmmm??? Now where did I put that 52 inch flat screen??? LOL
Old 01/04/2008, 04:51 PM
Registered Member

I have seen them flopping around in the back of trucks many times. They are super light really & can easily fly at 60mph. I imagine the driver saw it land & figured it was junk. He is probably right.
Old 01/04/2008, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

yea u should keep it, you cant really trust anybody who says its theirs.

really lucky to find one of them, arent they like $2000 ? sell it and use the money for fish tanks