Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers

Old 12/21/2007, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

? on amphipods

I think thats what they are called. I have these little copepod animals but like 4-5 times the size, and they kinda curl and are very fast. I never noticed them before until intorducing some zoanthids into my tank from a LFS, and now there everywhere. Are they bad? i notice when my lights turn on they are all over the bottom of my zoas and i dont know if they are beneficial or if i need to get them out? Another observation i made was that i have no copepods left.... i dont see many copepods anymore, all i have is 2 clown fish and a cleaner shrimp. I will try and snap a picture of them but they are quick and i dont know if my camera will focus on something that small. ANY info would be greatly appreciated. ( i heard that it was called an AMPHIPOD, Correct me if i am wrong.
Thanks a lot
Austin
Old 12/21/2007, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

this might help you out:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...owtopic=132956

"Get Busy Living Or Get Busy Dying"

"Were discussing man,...you have your wrong opinion i have my right one. Its called communication." Mac Inger
Old 12/21/2007, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

They are beneficial, but from my experience some have a taste for zoas. I had some devour a frag of zoas but they didn't touch my eagle eyes. Wierd. I have a ton in my fuge and my wrases gooble them up.
Old 12/21/2007, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

Okay good to know they aren't harmful. Maybe if there is to many but i think they are somewhat undercontrol. Also on that link bad santa i noticed he posted about Fire worms. Now my bristle worms look just like that and i believe they aren't bristle worms they are fireworms and the link says they eat corals. Now i believed amphipods were bad because my Palys have had 1 polyp closed for ever, and now 2 and now 3, i keep seeing more andmore closed. i dont know if they are being harmed by the amphipods or fire worms. Anyone know best solution to get rid of Worms?
Old 12/21/2007, 06:44 PM
Premium Member

I would do a little more research on the fireworms. Most bristleworms are good for a tank, just that as soon as people see one they immediately freak out and want to get rid of it. Speaking from experience, haha.

Keep an eye on your corals and if you see a bristleworm on them then maybe worry a little. I have read somewhere that Fireworms are more bold than most other bristleworms so you are more likely to see them during the day and wont move when you have your hands in the tank.
Paly's close by themselves all the time, if its closed for a long time then check your parameters and keep an eye on them. Watch them at night with a flashlight. Make sure your lights are off for a while then check on them. If something is munching them you'll more than likely see it at night.
Old 12/21/2007, 07:50 PM
It's Domo-kun

Amphipods are good. They can also be entertaining to watch. You probably still have isopods, but sometimes they are hard to spot. They come and go. Do you have a refugium? That would help with pods of all kinds.

Don't worry about the worms. If you find a giant one, consider removal. Otherwise, they are beneficial.
Old 12/22/2007, 01:43 AM
Registered Member

Well i came home tonight from work and looked at the palys i was talking about that more and more have been closed for a long period of time and guess what i saw on top of them picking at them?? yes.... and amphipod.. not just 1 like 6. So maybe they have a taste for these palys. All my other paly/zoas are FINE!!! what can i do? i want to keep this pally in my main... should i maybe put it in my frag for now? eeek i might have to. Maybe there is a fish that eats them? I was in the market for an Arabian dottyback but i dont know if they eat them? or maybe a small wrasse that can live in a 28g.
Old 12/22/2007, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

Well i picked up a Sixline today, hope he will munch on them and i REALLY like the colors on him, awesome fish. Was wondering if they eat flake food eventually? I dont mind giving him brine or mysis but would be cool to have him eat both. I'm pretty sure that the amphipods have grown to many and are eating at my Pallys, i saw them on it last night and no other zoas or pallys so if this doesnt work i will transfer the colony to another tank, any more imput would be much appreciated thanks a lot
Austin
Old 12/22/2007, 09:43 PM
Network Samurai

Ive never had problems with six lines not eating. They should eat formula 1 frozen or flake, mysis etc. Good hearty fish, and very entertaining.
Old 12/22/2007, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

Yea i figured, i just introduced him into the tank today so he might be a little scared/tense but he will warm up to it, he already swims in and out of ALL my rocks. Beautiful fish, its a + to have him to if he gets rid of my pally eating problem!!
Old 12/26/2007, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

What other fish do you have in the tank? The 6line may eventually get very agressive towards more docile fish.