Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/14/2007, 09:02 PM
Premium Member

I'm officially back!!!

Damnit! I swear I should have never started reading RC again! The pain was too much for me to handle looking at all the nice acros and LPS. I've been sitting on the sidelines for a month or so, really wanting to come back. Well, I finally just pulled the trigger today. The very 1st piece of equipment that I will buy is the H&S A200x1260 skimmer from Ed at KM Associates. The guy is just a stand up person and will bend over backwards for anyone. How could you not support his business? I really had lots of skimmers to choose from; BK, KZ, ATI, and a few others but I have always wanted an H&S skimmer. The build quality is phenominal and will last a long time. As long as it lasts 2-3 years (the length of time I usually leave the hobby), then I am all for it! Anyways, I will be giving Jesse a call tomorrow at ELOS and order the 120 XL. Lighting is still up in the air btw. I will definitely update this thread and seek the advice of BAR members on future purchases. Until then, WAHOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10/14/2007, 09:04 PM
My tank is too full

Welcome back Sang

To thine own self be true
Old 10/14/2007, 09:07 PM
Premium Member

Thanks Mark! Btw, I am taking deposits on the sale of my future hardware and livestock. Boy, I sound like Kinetic!!!
Old 10/14/2007, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

rehab . . .

nice . . . cant wait to see what you come up with.

the addiction.
Old 10/14/2007, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Maximus
Thanks Mark! Btw, I am taking deposits on the sale of my future hardware and livestock. Boy, I sound like Kinetic!!!
Haha, WB.

Check out the HQI Lumenarcs. If you liked the phoenix 14k, then its a good route to go.

Or you can use the SE version and use Reeflux 12, which is basically the same color in the eyes, but may have different par. Plus it uses less electricity.
Old 10/14/2007, 09:48 PM
espyesitis sufferer

Relapsed again, Sang

Welcome back, bro! You know what, is waiting for you

-K
Old 10/14/2007, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

That's good to hear Sang, If you need anything tell.

jesus
Old 10/14/2007, 10:07 PM
Premium Member

You guys are the reasons why I am coming back. If I didn't have friends like you guys to share this with, it wouldn't be any fun at all. Just do me one favor. Please don't leave the hobby until I do.
Old 10/14/2007, 10:08 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Unarce
Relapsed again, Sang

Welcome back, bro! You know what, is waiting for you

-K
I've fallen off the wagon way too many times Can't wait for my baby to come back home!
Old 10/14/2007, 10:17 PM
Premium Member

Ok, now that I have gotten the skimmer dilemma out of the way, I am faced with lighting. Here are my top candidates. Please feel free to give me your input. The tank will be the 4ft long Elos 120XL.

1. Giesemann Infinity:http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/cat...oducts_id=1695
2. Sfiligoi Stealth: http://www.aquariumobsessed.com/mm5/...gory_Code=SFT5
3. Grotech Photon: Can't find any images yet. Looks similar to the stealth model above.

These 3 pendants are the front runners. I figure that since this will be my last tank (famous last words), I am going to go balls out on it! Yes, I am going to be one broke mofo for awhile, but it will all be worth it!
Old 10/14/2007, 10:58 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Psionicdragon
Haha, WB.

Check out the HQI Lumenarcs. If you liked the phoenix 14k, then its a good route to go.

Or you can use the SE version and use Reeflux 12, which is basically the same color in the eyes, but may have different par. Plus it uses less electricity.
Thanks dude. Do you have a link to the HQI Lumenarcs or the Reeflux 12ks? I definitely want to run 250 d/e hqi bulbs btw.
Old 10/14/2007, 11:05 PM
My tank is too full

I have been running the pheonix's in my maristar. I am switching over to helios but i am just too lazy to put them in.

To thine own self be true
Old 10/14/2007, 11:10 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

maximus, I definitely go with either the infinity or the stealth.. I think hawaiian war god has the elos system with that light.. you might wanna ask him how he likes it.

" Charles V "
Old 10/14/2007, 11:12 PM
Premium Member

Will do Delsol. Thanks. Now, does anyone have any recommendations for live rock? I really miss my Marshall Island rock and would love to go the same route. Anyone know of any stores in the Bay Area that might have nice rock? I would love to drive down to LA and hand pick my rock, but my family might have a fit. I'm trying to keep things fairly local now.
Old 10/14/2007, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

Sang,

Welcome back. The thing I fear for you with the infinity is the spread of the light. The elos 120xl is pretty wide. You may want to check with Slovan on the elos board. I believe that's why he went with the Spectra. I'm seriously considering the Spectra too for my 120 gallon after a little chat with Slovan and emails with Phil at Giesemann. Hope this helps.
Old 10/14/2007, 11:30 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

Sang, Have you thought about going bacteria less to start the tank... like doing MARCO rocks or something. I'm planning on doing that to my new tank.. a 34redsea/28HQIAquapod/37cube.. one of those..

Don't want to deal with algae or any nuisances that attribute to live rock.

" Charles V "
Old 10/14/2007, 11:31 PM
Premium Member

The strange thing is I could not find the Spectra anywhere. Do you have a link?
Old 10/14/2007, 11:31 PM
Premium Member

Sang,
Awesome news . I am looking forward to following this thread. I had a feeling you might be back sometime in the near future. IMO, the lighting seems like the toughest decision these days.
Old 10/14/2007, 11:32 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by delsol650
Sang, Have you thought about going bacteria less to start the tank... like doing MARCO rocks or something. I'm planning on doing that to my new tank.. a 34redsea/28HQIAquapod/37cube.. one of those..

Don't want to deal with algae or any nuisances that attribute to live rock.
Hmm, haven't thought about it. It sounds intriguing. Any links to pics of the rocks?
Old 10/14/2007, 11:32 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by slojmn
Sang,
Awesome news . I am looking forward to following this thread. I had a feeling you might be back sometime in the near future. IMO, the lighting seems like the toughest decision these days.
Thanks Alicia!! Nice to see you around!
Old 10/14/2007, 11:35 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

here you go Sang

http://www.marcorocks.com/default.asp

http://www.marcorocks.com/products.asp

I'm planning to go with this.. plus you can drill them for future plugs, run acrylic rods through them to make the rocks stable ( wether you go BB or live sand )....

" Charles V "
Old 10/14/2007, 11:38 PM
Premium Member

Where are the rocks from?
Old 10/14/2007, 11:40 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

I think tonga and fiji

" Charles V "
Old 10/14/2007, 11:42 PM
Premium Member

Hmm, I am not so sure I can live with the color of the base rock, lol! I know coralline will spread eventually, but it would take a few months. Hmm, I wonder if people have any before and after pics of their tank using marco rocks?
Old 10/14/2007, 11:46 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

I know Ianwani is using it. He like it.. I've used similar baserock type.. I took only a couple of months to turn purple... I used 50+lbs to my 100lbs of TBS live rock.

" Charles V "