Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/02/2007, 08:31 AM
Registered Member

Maracyn Plus?

A while back Maracyn Plus was recommended while I was treating another fish for popeye. The LFS had Maracyn Two so that is what I used. It appears to be all that is recommended anymore for an antibiotic. So a while back I ordered Maracyn Plus just to have on hand. Well, my Tang has issues. HLLE, ich, and a battered fin which I think was more physical damage than anything else from my clowns. So I am now doing hypo and noticed some dark black coming back in above her right eye. She is so fast that I can't tell if it is a lesion or if the HLLE is actually getting better. It is only on one side and is not symetric. I understand HLLE is supposed to be a sterile "disease" but am still concerned about this new spot.

Anyway, I am looking for info on Maracyn Plus by itself and combined with hypo. Is there a different dose at hypo? I did a search out as far as 1 year and I found one post last night. Why would Maracyn Two be prefered over Maracyn Plus so much?

Last edited by slider162; 10/02/2007 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10/02/2007, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

Marcyn Plus is Sulfadimidine and trimethoprin.

Maracyn Two is minocycline.

For most saltwater bacterial infections - minocycline.

I would not treat MHLLE with either.
Old 10/02/2007, 10:19 AM
Parapterois heterura

HLLE is often blamed for any "holes" in the fishes head, cheek or body regions... but far more often it is not HLLE (nor even starting or existing on the lateral line)

Rather... in closed aquarium systems with stressed fishes or modest to poor water change schedules and rather considerable bacterial populations, the "holes" we see in aquarium fishes (frewshwater and saltwater alike) are simple infections of the olefactory pores and yes... infections of/alogn the other sensory organ we call the lateral line.

Antibiotics may be helpful or even necessary (and their effectiveness being further evidence that the condition observed is not HLLE)...

But often just improvements in water quality and feeding (better foods and yet less of it wasted in the tank from feeding too much or too fast.... leading to accumulating, rotting food in the tank in time) will simply do the trick.

HLLE in freshwater fishes... "Hole in the Head Disease" (Hexamita) in freshwater fishes... and neither are usually the actual culprit
Old 10/02/2007, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I wasn't trying to turn this into an HLLE thread. I couldn't find any info on Maracyn Plus, good or bad and was looking for info. My guess is that it is okay to dose in hypo. Should it be double dosed (if doesed at all) considering the dosing is probably based off of fresh water?
Old 10/02/2007, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

I would recommend using Maracyn-2 for bacterial infections in saltwater fish.

Most bacterial infections in saltwater are gram negative so my antibiotic choice recommendation would be minocycline, nitrofurazone, kanamycin or enrofloxacin.