Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/01/2007, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

Needed: return pump, plumbing and a little help...

hey guys, i posted a thread the other day about building an internal overflow but i took your advice and am buying a tank with one built in. It's a 42g tank, 30x18x18 with a 20x20x24 sump(drilled already). It has a center trapezoid overflow. the tank is not yet drilled.

Here is my idea... i'm guessing i'll put a 1 1/2" drain on it with a durso for noise down to the sump and i'd like to run two return lines up through the overflow, 1", and have them exit on the slant walls of the overflow.

First problem: I need a return pump. What do you guys recommend for this, i'd like a moderate level of flow and will be running korallia's as well in the corners of the tank. looking for a used pump.

Second problem: I don't know the exact parts i need or how to go about drilling and plumbing the tank. My skills are under the hood of my car, not building things.

So, that being said, i need a pump and someone to guide me in the right direction for the plumbing, where to get it, exactly what i'll need, and heck, if you're down for a free lunch and a few beers then help me do it as well.

I'm open to suggestions on changing my idea as well.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 10/01/2007, 11:18 PM
Registered Member

CJ.....
try www.cheappumps.com....
I've been running the 1600GPH for three years now....no issues...
Old 10/01/2007, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the link, i might try that out. i was looking for a rio hf series since they are small and use low wattage. i'm open to any good pump.

what gph would you guys recommend for this setup? i'm thinking 700-1200ish.
Old 10/01/2007, 11:26 PM
Worker Drone

Re: Needed: return pump, plumbing and a little help...

Quote:
Originally posted by OC CJ
[B]hey guys, i posted a thread the other day about building an internal overflow but i took your advice and am buying a tank with one built in. It's a 42g tank, 30x18x18 with a 20x20x24 sump(drilled already). It has a center trapezoid overflow. the tank is not yet drilled.
Not yet drilled? Is the bottom tempered? (Methinks yes) That could be an issue... If you can have it drilled by them, pay the fifty bucks or whatever and have THEM do it... I don't think you want to play with doing that yourself...

Just a thought...

Be an IT consultant!
Old 10/01/2007, 11:39 PM
Zoanthid collector

I have an Ocean Runner 3500 and am happy with it so far. Quiet and enough flow for what I wanted. It should be plenty for your tank.

Here are some pics to help in your planning.

Old 10/01/2007, 11:52 PM
Registered Member

dc, nice setup... i'm going to do something similar with a power center in the stand.

guys, the tank is a socal creations tank, i don't thing there should be any problem drilling acrylic.
Old 10/01/2007, 11:53 PM
It's all about ME!

I might have a MAG 9.5 for sale.
I need a BIGGER pump for my skimmer.
LMK.
Thx
Old 10/02/2007, 12:29 AM
Registered Member

drc, thanks... pm me a price. i'm trying to find something a little closer but might be interested.

I think i've figured out the plumbing of the tank. i'm going to use to use threaded bulkheads for the security, at least the sound safer to me. I'm going to use the female connectors that thread onto the bulkhead and have the end for a hose to fit on and i'm just going to run hose down the the sump. I'll probably use the same thing for the return lines to cut down on cutting and gluing pvc pipe. I'm just not sure once i connect the return lines to the bulkheads on the tank, where to go once it's in the tank. if i use pvc, i think it will be hard to fit it into the bulkhead and then into the fitting for the return nozzle. I can use hose which will bend alowing a little room for wiggle to get it on. will that work?
Old 10/02/2007, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

still need help on this guys. is it ok to use the pvc glue? i'm just not sure how to route everything and what fittings i'll need
Old 10/02/2007, 04:47 PM
Registered Member

I have a used Panworld 50pxx if you're interested. very quiet and low energy consumption. $80.

Nice set up DC
Old 10/02/2007, 08:25 PM
Reefer

Yes, it is fine to use PVC glue. I'd recommend the clear just because it looks nicer when you are finished.

I have two internal Sedra 12000 pumps for sale. I'll look up the information on them and post it.

Joyce
Old 10/02/2007, 08:26 PM
Zoanthid collector

I used PVC glue because I think it is more leak proof than threaded things.

Thanks clsund
Old 10/02/2007, 08:38 PM
Reefer

I use threaded bulkheads in case I want to change things.

I recommend that you let socalcreations drill the hole. You don't want to crack the tank. It's money well spent.

Here is the stock photo of the Sedra ksp12000:

It also has a power cord. Here are the specs:

"Sedra Submersible Pump KSP-5000 by Clear Pond is a energy efficient submersible water pump. The motor is epoxy encapsulated, not oil filled. It's powerful, quiet, reliable and has a ceramic shaft. It's ideal for aquariums, ponds, fountains, outdoor falls & etc.

# Power Consumption = 120 W
# Max Flow = 1200 g.p.h
# Outlet Hose = 3/4"/19mm
# Inlet Hose = 1"/25mm
# Volts = 110V/60Hz"

I have two that were used less than one month until I swapped them out for one external pump. They are $75.00 each and I can ship.

Joyce
Old 10/04/2007, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

alright guys, got the tank and the return chamber is pretty dang small. the sump was built with an external pump in mind and is already plumbed for one. thanks for all the offers and info...

clsund, you have a pm on the pump