Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/10/2007, 10:48 AM
It All Depends

The Book of Coral Propagation

http://www.readingtrees.com/sales_preorder_bocp.html

How many have pre ordered this, and have you gotten it yet? The pages say it was to be shipped by July or sooner.
Old 08/10/2007, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

I preordered it but have not received it yet. I think it will be sometime in September but they haven't updated their website. There was this thread a little while back.

book thread
Old 08/10/2007, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

I've preordered it also, but recently got an e-mail saying it was delayed until October/November in order to make it color photos and a hardback...

Funny, since I thought they were doing that anyway for the July release date according to their website when I preordered...
Old 08/10/2007, 02:57 PM
It All Depends

They must have lost some e-mail addresses then, cause I would of liked to seen that.

Well at least its not out yet, I would hate to miss it.

edit: maybe I did get an e-mail about this, but am looking so forward to the book I forgot about the delay. After reading that other thread, it triggered some distant memory.
Old 08/12/2007, 12:40 AM
Registered Member

I don't think I ever received e-mail to that fact either. I keep up with that other forum, so I know the books status. I just hope they didn't loose my pre-order

-J
Old 08/12/2007, 03:08 PM
Registered Member

book

Has anyboby read past copies? Is this book worth 50 bucks? Trying to decide whether or not to purchase. LMK
Old 08/13/2007, 11:41 AM
It All Depends

Everyone I have asked has said that previous books were well worth it.

Also, here is a little update on the books status from the author:

Cheers

I have been so busy with work travel and getting the new magazine to press that I have not had a chance to update my website. My apologies, my friend.

The "bad" news is that the intended delivery of this new book has been delayed by an estimated 12 weeks.

The good news is that the delay is because we upgraded it last minute to hardcover(!) and added more images at no extra charge to pre-order folks like yourself

I pray that you find it worthy of the wait and and a good read.

With kind regards, Anthony
Old 08/13/2007, 04:39 PM
Rubberman

If it was a new book with new content I'd buy it for sure. But i won't replace my older B&W version just for the pictures. My understanding it's pretty much the same as the comb bound book?

Things change in this hobby but I guess some opinions stay the same.

SteveU
Old 08/13/2007, 05:33 PM
Registered Member

from what I understand it's the same with only slight added content and a lot of pictures. I don't have teh first book, and it's practically impossible to find, so pre-ordering this one was a no-brainer. I hears Anthony speak for the first time last December at our reef club meeting and within an hour I was hooked. I had to have the book.
-J
Old 08/21/2007, 10:09 PM
Premium Member

Received email last week stating that most recent delay, Oct/Nov, was because book is not being printed in US anymore. It will be printed overseas and shipped back by boat.
Old 08/26/2007, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

Same S!*t here. Pre ordered but still no book has anyone tried emailing them I have no tried twice but recieved no reply.

I'm very ****ed about it and belive it is B.S. When you pre pay for something you expect to get it when they said it would be shipped. How can they change thier minds and not even tell me and still have the nerve to not return my email.

Is anyone else as ****ed as me????
Old 08/28/2007, 03:06 AM
You Load 16Tons...

i had the first book and found it totally worthless. it had little to do with actual propagation, and was mostly a collection of random ramblings about various tank aspects, most of which seemed to be made-up on the spot to fill pages, and not very well thought out.

plus the writing style came across as a pretentious 11 year old girl.
Old 09/08/2007, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

so much for shipping July 2007 or sooner
Old 09/08/2007, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

Same here, I emailed with a simple question.....when will it ship.....No reply.....h
Old 09/08/2007, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

i got a reply.

I was told it would ship late october. quote " But you will be getting a hardcover-copy with extra illustrations my friend"

He just could not handle the demand for his book.. bad to see in the above post it's worthless..

So what is the absolute bible on terms of reefkeeping? what's the best book
Old 09/10/2007, 10:02 AM
Registered Member

Re: The Book of Coral Propagation

Quote:
Originally posted by Questin
http://www.readingtrees.com/sales_preorder_bocp.html

How many have pre ordered this, and have you gotten it yet? The pages say it was to be shipped by July or sooner.
Very much worth the money and then some. Also the subscription to C the Journal is another great contribution to the hobby.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/nofishtattooing/

Rules to live by:

Just be nice to people - its contagious.
Spay/neuter your pets.
Support a local rescue group.
Pets are not property to be discarded.

Newest rule to live by: Quarantine everything!
Old 11/01/2007, 08:40 AM
Registered Member

Has anyone heard anything else about the book shipping? Is it still on "target" for this month? For some reason, like some others, I don't get the update emails that some get. Just curious - there have been so many delays I would not be surprised if there is another. Oh well, it will hopefully be worth the wait.
Old 11/01/2007, 08:56 AM
Registered Member

Yea... seriously. I pre-ordered very very early. I have received one update a few months back saying delayed of course. Since then radio silence. This whole process is not very professional IMO.

-J
Old 11/01/2007, 01:14 PM
Premium Member

Well, I am a professional in the book publishing industry and I can tell you that the fact that you received any word at all from the publisher is far more "professional" than usually happens. In the industry, book deadlines are created so that someone from marketing has something to work with and almost always do not reflect reality at all. There are almost always delays. Most of the time they have to do with authors re-writing their books at the last minute, but there are, of course, any number of other reasons for delays. I've seen it happen that a typesetter has had a heart attack in the middle of a project and the publisher has had to scramble to find a new typesetter (I was the new typesetter). People get sick. Delays in transportation happen. And, as it sounds like happened here, sometimes decisions are made to switch printers somewhere along the process so that the publisher can produce a better product for you.

Be happy that it didn't come down like a recent book I worked on: The book went through copyediting, typesetting, indexing, proofing, and lots of marketing and then the author decided they didn't like the way the book was turning out and refused to let the publisher go ahead with it.

So, relax. Once you've had this book for years and years, the three months extra you had to wait to get it will seem like nothing.

"And chase the frothy bubbles, / While the world is full of troubles. . . ." --W. B. Yeats
Old 11/01/2007, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

thanks for this little side-note. But don't you think your customers would be angry if they never heard anything of you?

For making a statement i'll grow a beard from now on, we'll see if it reaches ZZ-top standards at the time the book falls on my doormat.....
Old 11/02/2007, 08:50 AM
Parapterois heterura

Cheers

kind thanks to all that have chimed in, too!

Indeed... the publishing industry is... er,... "interesting" when dealing with so many folks beyond the actual printer: broker for overseas printing if/when so, the bindary (hard to predict at times), consolidated freight carriers (literally a slow boat from China - or Hong Kong specifically), then customs to clear docs, domestic ground freight then to get books to me to sign and send, etc.

When we decided last minute to upgrade the text to hardcover, we really were/are lucky to only have had a several month delay. It required a change of printer to make it affordable enough (literally would have lost money to do hardcover on a small print run for a hobby title in the US)... and that reset the clock, so to speak.

So... instead of paperback in July, we were promised hardcover in October for the same price. I'm really happy to see it in hardcover so these books last longer.

We were given a date of Oct 29th for the freight carrier to dock in LA. I haven't heard word yet that it did, but likely not an issue . It takes a lil' time for the shipment to clear customs, then get resent domestically (ground freight) to me from West coast to the East coast (PA state) for me to sign and send them to the pre-order folks first.

I have been getting a lot of travel out of the way (I'm still on the road... er,... in planes ) before I need to hunker down at home with a giant bag of cheetos and some joint medication to sign a big pile of books I expect to do that in the next couple weeks, my friends. I'm ready as soon as they land (mailer boxes are labeled and waiting too)

Regarding the email updates... we have faithfully sent updates to the email address provided by customers with their orders. Some folks' spam filters eat them I reckon... and others get lost in the ether(net). Most all folks have recieved the notices though.

I'm very proud of the work that Christine did on the new (illustrated) layout. Its much like the RI book and C-Journal.

I promise you... I am chomping at the bit to see it finally in my hands at least as much as you

I'm so sorry for the delay, indeed, but hope that you find it (hardcover upgrade... and the book in general) worth the wait.

With kind regards to all,

Anthony
Old 11/02/2007, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the respons.. I guess i'm free for becoming a "sharp dressed man" afterall.. haha.

So we can expect the book before christmass? Even for the european readers like me (holland, the netherlands)?