Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/06/2006, 10:42 PM
Premium Member

A little off topic, President came to town

As everyone knows by now, President Bush landed at Vance and went to Stillwater. Since my wife is a base photographer, she was there for pics. Here are 2 from the many she took. These have not been corrected yet so they look a little bad. Still, she was around 20 to 30 feet away!

Old 05/07/2006, 03:13 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, Stillwater was quite hectic today, it took me foreeeeevvvveerrr to get through town.
Old 05/07/2006, 07:17 AM
Registered Member

I hope she didn't catch anything being that close
Old 05/07/2006, 08:05 AM
Premium Member

Ahh.... Gearge W was in town. I thought Paul went to Stillwater.
Old 05/07/2006, 11:42 AM
stinky reefer

Too bad I had to work. I would have loved to join the protestors.
Old 05/07/2006, 01:12 PM
Reef Fanatic

Anyone know what he was doing in Stillwater?

RK: Where only bad things happen fast...

CRAZY 4 the CRASE - Oct 13, 2007
Conf for Reef Aquarists and SW Enthusiasts
Google it - Search for: craseokc
Old 05/07/2006, 01:54 PM
Premium Member

Graduation
Old 05/07/2006, 02:02 PM
Reef Fanatic

Way cool...

Old 05/07/2006, 03:00 PM
Registered Member

I must say I found it very rude people protesting in stillwater. I mean come on people nothing political about yesterday it was a day for the graduates. And thanks to all the idiot protestors ruining it I'm sure for most of the families coming to see the ceremonies. Instead they heard people chanting their stupid little chants. If people want to protest, protest at something political where he is giving a political speech; but not a graduation ceremony.
Ok enough ranting, just 2 cents worth from a new graduate.
Old 05/07/2006, 03:14 PM
stinky reefer

Well I find a lot of the things the president does as very rude. If he brings himself to a public place then he has to expect protestors. How many chances does someone in Oklahoma have their chance to speak their mind at an event where the president is? What about the people that felt he ruined their graduation by being there? Everyone has the right to express their own opinion.
Old 05/07/2006, 03:19 PM
Registered Member

I just think the protestors shouldn't have done it on graduation day....very rude and disrespectful and thinking nothing but of themselves and their silly little speeches that they think the president gives a crap about will be heard. I say it was futile, pointless, rude and selfish. And saying that they get a chance to speak their mind are you seriuos do you think that yelling chants is going to do any good. That's like being at a football game and yelling obsenities at the players on the field, they can't even hear you with everyone around it's POINTLESS!!
But seriously just because the president does something rude doesn't mean that everyone else should be rude and ruin a very special day for the graduates, and I'm sure he expects the protesting but as a graduate we were hoping there wouldn't be any of the idiot protesting going on.
Old 05/07/2006, 03:24 PM
stinky reefer

Well you typing this is pointless I guess. You think it will change anything? I'm not trying to get into a political debate but you have the right to dislike it, just like they have the right to yell their pointless chants.
Old 05/07/2006, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

Yea but to your point of saying President is rude pretty much sums up that because he is rude I can be rude crap that was the general attitude of protestors not caring about the actual students and being proud of their accomplishments. It was more along the lines of yelling crap that yes I completely whole heartedly without a doubt in the world think that yelling that stuff is not going to change a damn thing and is very pointless!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05/07/2006, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

Congradulations Nick!

I just didnt like that he talked of an OSU graduate dying in the war at a graduation. I wanted to scream its your fault he died.
Old 05/07/2006, 04:02 PM
Premium Member

I am neither Democrat or Rebulican. And I do not care to argue with either side.

But you give me back .99 a gallon gas and I would be happy to give Iraq to Saddam!!!
Old 05/07/2006, 06:09 PM
Reef Fanatic

I think that out of respect to the office of the president, I think it is worthwhile to be respectful of his presence at a graduation. I like Bush. I voted for him twice. And I didn't like Clinton.

But I graduated from OSU. And if either had shown up at my graduation to give a speech, I would have respectfully listened. And I would have been frustrated with protestors present at either.

Whatever the case, how about we bring the political debate to a healthy close. I think this would be more appropriate in the lounge or via PM or something. We all appreciate your viewpoints. But let's move on.

(And next week, we discuss religion. )

Old 05/07/2006, 07:07 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by captbunzo
I graduated from OSU.
Hey, nobody's perfect.
Old 05/07/2006, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

Great pics Jeff!!! How cool is it to be that close to the President of our country? That could literally be a once in a lifetime opportunity.

It is a shame that your thread was hijacked by some seeking to be funny or voice their political slants. I've always been amazed that many of those who loudly proclaim their right to protest (apparently when ever and where ever they desire), also loudly complain when someone else criticizes their method of protest.

I personally have to agree with Paul. The ceremony was a one time event for the graduates. I believe many, like Matrixz, were honored to have the President address their class. Whether or not you like the man, the Office of the President deserves respect.

I once attended a company function in which Mike Ditka was the guest speaker. As I was never a Bears fan, I guess I should have yelled insults at him? I truly don't believe my peers (or my boss) would have viewed this as exercizing my rights.

While we are within our rights to hold an opinion, wisdom would suggest prudence in how we voice them. Especially if voicing your opinion (in a public reef keeping forum of all places lol), might offend those who are: friends, neighbors, fellow club members, business associates or customers.

Ronnie
Old 05/08/2006, 10:38 AM
Registered Member

I graduated from OSU, & I was sad to see "W" was their guest speaker. But at least they found somebody.....
Old 05/08/2006, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rdonchann
I hope she didn't catch anything being that close
wow....

I wonder if he will ever wear that hideous tie again?
Old 05/08/2006, 12:25 PM
stinky reefer

I dont care if I offended anyone. This country still has freedom of speech right? The reef boards isnt a place to be discussing politics anyway.

I do agree with Korndog, that is one ugly tie.
Old 05/08/2006, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by capnskunk
I dont care if I offended anyone. This country still has freedom of speech right? The reef boards isnt a place to be discussing politics anyway.

I do agree with Korndog, that is one ugly tie.
unless hes has a problem with fire worms , this isent the place
to post his picture..if i wanna look at his picture ill go find it in
the bottom of a bird cage...
Old 05/08/2006, 01:09 PM
Reef Fanatic

Ok. I am REALLY getting sick of this. Please, take this conversation elsewhere. There are those of us here that do not feel the same way about our President. And while freedom of speech exists, you all DO have a responsibility to be socially appropriate. This inflammatory line of discussion is inappropriate for this forum.

The lounge is here.

Old 05/08/2006, 01:14 PM
Registered Member.

What would we protest Cap? He was the only one that would make the tuff decisions. He's got the only set of brass ba@@s on capital hill. All the others just criticize?
Old 05/08/2006, 01:15 PM
Registered Member.

By the was great pics! A once in a life time opportunity to see the Pres.