Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)

Old 08/17/2005, 12:24 AM
Pappone Nerd

Place to get RBTA "friendly" perculas?

Well I was wondering if anyone knew of a breeder or store that kept perculas that had a high affinity for RBTAs or something along those lines. I have heard of some people that have bought fish that go instantly into a BTA, even though it isn't the "preferred" anemone for Percula clowns.

I would think that fry from parents that exhibited that behavior, or fry raised in tanks with BTAs would be more likely to do this. So if anyone knows where to get tankraised perculas like this, I really would appreciate it!
Old 08/17/2005, 01:26 AM
Registered Member

The short answer is NO. Percs are hard to get to host BTA's for most people some take a very long time. As to parents that did it, that woulld not work either. Clarkii and maroon will host most anything. Percs are less aggressive and may be this is why they dont host as easily. What worked for me with ocellaris was to place them in a 20 gallon with a bta. The smaller the tank tends to help them associate with the nem sooner. I imagine this may work for percs also. No other things to host and bta might trigger the urge. You are best to post this in the clownfish forum though as there are others with lots of experience in this area.
MIke

krav maga stay in the fight
Old 08/17/2005, 08:45 AM
Registered Member

Pm robin (fingerwrinkles). He is local and breeds perculas and has rbtas. So he should be able to help out.
Old 08/17/2005, 09:07 AM
Premium Member

Ditto on Fingerwrinkles. He lives in Lafayette and has a fascinating breeding system that he was nice enough to explain to me.

He raises the babies with RBTA's. Thus, they are already accustomed to them. The True Perc I bought from him hosted in a GBTA within a couple of days and has never left it more than a few inches.

Many of us have purchased from him. I would buy from him again.

Best of luck,

Roy
Old 08/17/2005, 09:38 AM
Registered Member

I purchased a pair of Robin's percs about a year ago. Robin's a good guy and his fish a very healthy. My perc's initially hosted in a green bubble coral which slowly died because of all the "love" the perc's gave it. I then purchased a RBTA which they dove in before I could even get the RBTA to where I wanted to place it. They and the RBTA seem to very happy. I love to watch the perc's feed the RBTA.
Old 08/17/2005, 06:40 PM
Pappone Nerd

Thats the problem, Robin is out of the clownfish game now unfortunately so he said my best bet would be to find a store that brings them in and hold them in the same tank as BTAs, or to get an established clown.

Oh well!

I guess if anyone knows of a store that does hold them in the same tank as BTAs, please shoot me a PM!
Old 08/17/2005, 08:53 PM
Resident physicist.

Yah, I think your only bet is to find a pair that actually are in an anemone at a store/somes house, you can't really buy a percula and expect it to host with any particular anemone.

Some fish just are better apt than others, now if you wanted tomato clowns or maroons then you'd have much better odds!
Old 08/18/2005, 01:29 AM
Pappone Nerd

Yeah, it seems that raising the fry with anemones like that is the way that worked the best. Oh well, I guess I'll figure something out. Thanks guys.
Old 08/18/2005, 04:09 PM
Premium Member

I saw this on Craigslist today. The Clowns and RBTA are in Alameda

http://www.craigslist.com/eby/for/91804628.html

"Bubble Tip Anemone w/ 2 hosting clown, and piece of
live rock - $70 "

Though the RBTA is really bleached, it looks like a good, reasonably priced, way to solve your problem. If it's eating, you can bring the RBTA back to health if you have the proper lighting.

Best of luck,

Roy
Old 08/18/2005, 07:03 PM
Premium Member

Hi! Actually, I purchased (I think) one of Robin's (Fingerwrinkles) last batches of baby clowns. He sold me the whole batch of small babies and I have been raising them for the last 2 months. They're getting bigger and a few might be able to go to a very peaceful/quiet reef tank soon. If you're interested in purchasing a pair let me know. I'll be keeping a few of them as broodstock, but I will have like 30+ to sell once they are old enough. These are from his Solomon Island true perc breeding pair.
Old 08/18/2005, 08:00 PM
Pappone Nerd

Eight, I think that you just got a customer haha. I'll shoot you a PM right now

And thanks everyone else for lookin around for me!
Old 08/19/2005, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

Eight, Sent pm as well.

Arnold
BAR Sponsorship Director