Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers

Old 06/02/2004, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

Its in the very first message.
Old 06/02/2004, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dustin
The treatment

Theres the info. Be careful
I fugured that you guys must have accomplished something in 16 pages.
Does the first post cover it? If so what the #$%& are you guys talking about?

Just wondering. To me "be carefull" , means ask questions.

Lee
Old 06/02/2004, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

If you want to see the questions then read through all of the pages. Thats what I would do. If not, the directions are in the first message.
Old 06/02/2004, 10:28 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Dustin.
Like I said I know my question is anoying but I'll ask anyone else if they have any important postscripts to add.

Le

Ps. Dustin, I know it sucks when people question your "baby" but anyone who reads and accepts the first post of a 15 page thread as the gospel is nuts.
Old 06/02/2004, 10:32 PM
Premium Member

Newflee what other questions do you have that the instructions don't answer for you?
Old 06/02/2004, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

I don't usually accept "instructions" for experimental therapies (or non for that matter) without asking for anecdotal experiences. I'm sure in 15 pages there are more than a few anecdotes but I was hoping that a general theme had developed. It seems to me that if the first post was 100% then 15 pages wouldn't have followed.
I don't mean to insult anyone, and perhaps the first post is 100%.

Let me rephrase my original post......Is the first post by Dustin 100% correct?

Lee
Old 06/02/2004, 10:45 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Newflee

Let me rephrase my original post......Is the first post by Dustin 100% correct?

Lee
FWIW I followed his instructions to the letter and got the results I was looking for.

What size is your tank and what kind of life do you have in it?
Old 06/02/2004, 10:52 PM
Registered Member

I doubt that anyone reading this thread would be able to summarize it for you, without going back and reading the 16 pages again themselves. There havent been any modifications to the instructions. I still think you should read all of the pages in this thread, as well as the the other threads that are posted in the instructions. I am not asking you to take that first message as gospel. As you have realized you are taking a chance with your tank, I think you should approach it with as much information as possible, rather than someones summary.

Mark has a good approach, if you have a specific question ask it. That is basically what has been going on for the last 16 pages.
Old 06/02/2004, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

In this case it's a 300 gal sps, clam, Couple lps, Zoos, heavy skimming, ozone, heavy MH tank. The reason why I ask is that as a commercial keeper, I have many permutations of a reef to deal with and often cannot "experiment" without huge financial consequences.
Also I was considering the use of Ivermectin in place of interceptor for cost reasons when treating larger volumes of water. This may be a cost advantage as well as a more targeted treatment.

Ya know what....I'm just going to have to read the thread.
Thought I could get the Coles notes on this but I guess not.

Thanks for your replies.

Lee
Old 06/02/2004, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

I believe Eric tried Ivermectin with limted success. You might want to do a search on that.
Using Interceptor should cost you about $7 per pill, with each pill treating nearly 400 gallons. It wont be a problem with any of the animals in your tank aside from crustaceans. Just make sure the skimmer and the ozone is off.
Old 06/02/2004, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Dustin...I'll read the thread.
I thought a liquid treatment such as Ivor moght be easier to mix as well as avoid the binders and "flavours" too. Kind of like Drocit works but prazi is better (cleaner).

I'll look further into this.

Lee

PS. Fortunately I have a couple 180 lb Newfies and live in Winnipeg where our mosquito season is only 4 months. In other words I have eight 23 mg interceptor left over each year.
Old 06/02/2004, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

Its not really all that difficult to mix, unless you are trying to increase the concentration up past 10x the suggested dosage.

The problem with Ivermectin is that a dosage would have to be figured out. Its easy to figure out what kills the bugs, finding out what doesn't kill much else in the tank is the hard part. I think it would be great to figure out something easier and cheaper, but I have a feeling that most of the risk takers have already killed their bugs.
Old 06/02/2004, 11:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dustin
Its easy to figure out what kills the bugs, finding out what doesn't kill much else in the tank is the hard part.

That's exactly why I posed my original question.
I do not have a sunificant problem with reds right now but I would like to nip it while I can easily...of course not at the risk of chemeotheropying everything else to death.

Lee
Old 06/02/2004, 11:47 PM
Registered Member

I'm willing to loose any and all corals in any tank rather than sterilize the rock. Withoutr the foundation everything else is only rental.

Lee
Old 06/03/2004, 12:42 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Newflee
In this case it's a 300 gal sps, clam, Couple lps, Zoos, heavy skimming, ozone, heavy MH tank. The reason why I ask is that as a commercial keeper, I have many permutations of a reef to deal with and often cannot "experiment" without huge financial consequences.
Also I was considering the use of Ivermectin in place of interceptor for cost reasons when treating larger volumes of water. This may be a cost advantage as well as a more targeted treatment.

Ya know what....I'm just going to have to read the thread.
Thought I could get the Coles notes on this but I guess not.

Thanks for your replies.

Lee
I treated my 360 with SPS, LPS, Clams, only lost some hermits (did not lose any shrimp).

My advise, Read the whole thread, follow the directions, and use Interceptor. IT WORKS.

Thanks again Dustin, over a month of NO RED BUGS.
Old 06/03/2004, 01:18 AM
Registered Member

I'll do so,......thanks guys, and RedEyeReef

Lee

Alright I've added another stinkin page to this thread and that's what I was gripin about. Argg...someone put a bullit in me...wait a minute ...do it after I clean the skimmers, top up the kalk,
decapsulate the brine, feed the rotts, calibrate the probes, tune the beckets, clean the fuge overflow, clean up the dog gifts and oh ya...stop to enjoy the results etc.
Red bugs...what red bugs.

Lee
Old 06/03/2004, 05:56 AM
Premium Member

Nevermind...

- Mac
Old 06/03/2004, 06:09 AM

Its been a couple of months since I treated and the corals that were infected for MONTHS are taking off and growing like weeds now! Like they said Dustin... you should win the Nobel prize!
Old 06/03/2004, 06:12 AM
Moved On

Lee, Bob
Old 06/03/2004, 10:13 AM
Force of Nature

Dustin.. Thanks!!!!

It has been a month after my last treatment and no signs of the Red Bugs. The acros that were heavy infested have recovered and their growth have taken off.
Old 06/03/2004, 09:08 PM
Refurbished Reefer.

Quote:
Originally posted by EricHugo
I also found Interceptor to be only moderately effective, and I think treating a tank full of other crustaceans and worms with an anti-helmith is a bad idea.
Comes from this thread.

Any comments?

I am still on the fence about the use of this drug.
I have decided something needs to be done but don't have a solid stance yet.
Old 06/03/2004, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

Eric has a very strong opinion about the medication but the fact is, his findings and his assumptions are not inline with what has worked for so many of the people who have been following this thread.
Keep an eye on the poll at the top of this forum. It has only been running for 24hrs though, I should have started it a long time ago. Assuming everyone told the truth, there are already 21 "votes" for the medication being used successfully. If someone had some sort of disaster with the medication I am sure that we would have all heard about it right here. You can all draw your own conclusions from the poll. It obviously can't prove that Interceptor is safe.
Old 06/03/2004, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

Worked Great for ME.
Old 06/03/2004, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

This might have been asked and I missed it, but does anyone know where these bugs are coming from? Can you walk into any lfs throughout the country and they are there. Or is this something localized. Like ich always being present. Some fish get it and some don't.
Old 06/03/2004, 10:12 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SeanT

I am still on the fence about the use of this drug.
I have decided something needs to be done but don't have a solid stance yet.
All I can say is that I am not a big fan of dosing chemicals to treat things, but I had to do it, the Red Bugs were all over the place.

I treated my tank, I did lose some Acro Crabs which is a bummer, but on the otherside, my corals have really gained color and the polyps have come out big time.

Now I just need to figure out how to keep them out of my tank.

Mark