Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 05/24/2004, 01:38 PM
PKSN

Hmmm. I wonder if the weird deaths have something to do with salinity changes.
Old 05/24/2004, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

It very well may. Cow has been through worse changes than this though. But maybe this was the straw that broke his back.
Old 05/24/2004, 01:56 PM
VILP

Rachel,

So sorry to hear about your loss! The biologist inside me really wants to understand what is going on inside when this happens. I wonder if we just don't understand the nutritional requirements for these fish enough. When a fish looks and acts perfectly fine one day and is dead the next - still looking fine...I wonder if you could examine their liver or other internal organs if we'd find that we've kept their bellies full but they've been missing something.

Could you please tell us if Mollies were the only food Cow has been getting or if you have also fed other foods? I keep hoping that if we gather enough hobbyist information, something will click.

Again, my condolences,
Cheri
Old 05/24/2004, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

Cow was fed mostly mollies and occasionally ghost shrimp. When he was really little, I fed him danios, but that was only for about a month until he was big enough to eat the shrimp.

I really want to understand this too. Im going to ask my professor, hes out of town right now, if we can do some sort of necropsy on him and look at his organs.

Right now hes sitting in a jar of formalin on my desk.
Old 05/24/2004, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

Sounds to me like more effort needs to be made towards feeding nutritional foods. Mollies and ghost shrimp just aren't something they have evolved to be able to extract nutrition from. Their food MUST be items that would be consumed in their natural setting. Short of feeding anthias and chromis, high levels of EFA's should be present.
That's my guess.

Lee
Old 05/24/2004, 06:31 PM
VILP

Expense aside, has anyone tried feeding their frogfish small peppermint shrimp or tiny crabs? I wonder what proportion of their natural diet is crustacean vs. fish.... Fuggly is in my counter top refugium and there are now some pretty darn big amphipods in there. I swear he was luring for one this morning - which I thought was hilarious at the time, but now I'm wondering... I got him to take a thawed krill exact once - then he spit it out. I have been feeding him saltwater minnows and marine shrimp that come from high salinity brackish water...do they have the "right stuff?" I don't know.

Cheri
Old 05/24/2004, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

Judging by how these guys react to ghost shrimp, I would be willing to bet that crustacians are a huge part of their diet. Of course crustacians have a distinct nutritional make up that is probably not present in other boney fishes. Considering that peppermint shrimp can be bread at home by hobbiests it may be the answer. I'm going to buy a dozen tomorow and put them in my fuge. With any luck and some Barry White they'll breed.

I suggest you keepers try feeding frozen mackarel or the like. One good sized meal a week seems to be working for Meatball........time will tell.

Lee
Old 05/24/2004, 06:53 PM
VILP

There is a book out called, "How to Raise and Train Your Peppermint Shrimp" by April Kirkendoll... you might want to get that if you want to give it a go. Fuggly seems far better suited to catching shrimp than fish by what I've observed. He gets any shrimp put in there within seconds to a few minutes. A fish may take him a day or more to catch since he really doesn't swim after it and his lure seems ineffective for the fish I've tried.

Where do you find small frozen mackeral? I have silversides and haven't gotten Fuggly to take them yet... perhaps I haven't been willing to starve him enough.

Cheri
Old 05/24/2004, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

I got mine at the local fishing bait/tack store but mine are from B.C. Canada on the wet coast so you'll need a U.S. source. Try the local bait shop. I can't say that they are mackarel for sure but they are of the same family and from salty waters for sure. Look for a larger mouth and extremely silver sheen as opposed to the rather dull silver of a freshwater smelt. Once thawed out you can't mistake a saltwater fish from a freshwater in terms of smell. The salties are more aromatic to say the least. Silversides should be good too but I haven't been able to buy them from the wholesalers (including Hikari) for some time now......a supply problem I understand.
Also don't be surprised if you have to reactivate the feeding response with ghost shrimp every couple weeks.

Lee
Old 05/30/2004, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

finally got some pics of my specimens. check it out. (I told you I had your angler's twins, reef cherie.) first off is the maculatus
Old 05/30/2004, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

orange pictus
Old 05/30/2004, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

lastly, pink pictus. I'm trying to sell these guys off but might end up keeping the maculatus. It's a rare natural coloration
Old 05/30/2004, 10:21 PM
D00D

i will buy one hehehe
Old 05/31/2004, 03:34 PM
Registered Member

same
i have been looking everywhrere, if u can email me at willtyson14@aol.com about it
Old 05/31/2004, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

which one do yall want?
Old 05/31/2004, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

i like the orange pictus and the malactus. how much and how soon can i get it
Old 05/31/2004, 09:50 PM
D00D

supernip i want the pink how much for it
Old 05/31/2004, 10:32 PM
Registered Member

please pm me. this isnt really appropriate here
Old 06/03/2004, 09:30 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I really want one of these, I am still reading this thread (on page 10) Thanks to eveyone who has taught me about this fish!
Old 06/05/2004, 10:25 AM
Premium Member

I've decided to consolidate tanks which means I must sell my angler. I would like to give the folks in this forum first dibs as there is an appreciation for this type of fish here. If I get no bites here I'll post in the selling forum, unless this gets moved first.

I've had him since last Oct/Nov, and was purchased as a striking red angler...http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...postid=1977440
He has been a golden yellow for quite awhile now. He will occasionally eat frozen silversides as long as it looks like it is swimming, but devours anything else that is alive. He is 3" and very hardy, and actually a fairly active swimmer, probably because I don't feed him as much as he would like.

I paid a hefty price for this guy because of his ability to become the vibrant red he was purchased as. I realize I won't get what I paid, but I'm not giving him away either so only email me if you have a serious interest (I do have an asking price, I'm just not posting it here)... csriccio@hotmail.com

I am attaching a few more pics, but there are others throughout this thread.

Thanks, Chris
Attached Files
File Type: pdf injectorb.pdf (35.3 KB, 286 views)
Old 06/05/2004, 10:26 AM
Premium Member

Another pic...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf injectorb.pdf (35.3 KB, 505 views)
Old 06/13/2004, 03:48 PM
Grimreefer

here is some pics of my painted angler ive had him in this 15g nano for quite some time now. Feed him damsels and occasionally shrimp.

Alpheus bisincisus (mated pair), Alpheus bellulus x2, Lysmata debelius, Stenopus zanzibaricus, Petrolisthes militalis x2, Mithrax sculptus x3, Callianassa sp. ?, Odontodactylus scyllarus, Gonodactylaceus ternatensis]
Old 06/13/2004, 04:40 PM
I'm Not Creative

is that a damsel in the second picture? at fist i thought it was another angler.

Fox's newest reality show 'Fast animals, slow children.'
Old 06/13/2004, 10:27 PM
Grimreefer

Quote:
Originally posted by gumbybc
is that a damsel in the second picture? at fist i thought it was another angler.
yeah its a domino damsel.. soon to be lunch
Alpheus bisincisus (mated pair), Alpheus bellulus x2, Lysmata debelius, Stenopus zanzibaricus, Petrolisthes militalis x2, Mithrax sculptus x3, Callianassa sp. ?, Odontodactylus scyllarus, Gonodactylaceus ternatensis]
Old 06/23/2004, 10:59 AM
Registered Member

the day has finaly come, I got a new angler!!!!! yes dave from vivid aquarimums sent me a beautiful white wartskin with red markings today. i just finished putting it in my tank and it is loving it. i am very pleased with the anlger, and would reccomend vividaquaria for anyone wanting fish online. but back to the angler. it is about two inces long with a white body, it has red and green bloches all over its body. the one thing i still need to do tho is get it a name. any suggestions?