Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2008, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

zeovit

hey guys,

can someone post the thread with the zeovit info. i'm thinking about making a purchase but was looking for some feed back on anyone that may have used it. maybe which configuration the or she may have used and amount they may have used along with pics would be greatly apreciated.

i made the plunge into an sps tank and things are going great but i have read and seen some pics with zeovit and they are absolutely amazing. these germans seem they know their stuff.

thanks in advance all!!
Old 01/03/2008, 04:17 AM
Registered Member

I have recently gone over to the Zeovit system after considering other zeolith systems. Living in Germany made the decision a bit easier!

Essentially, the zeolith systems create a very nutrient poor environment which doesn't support large amounts of zooxanthellae and thus allows the corals to show their basic pigments. This environment imitates the very clean reefs of Fiji, Tonga, etc.

If you decide to go with the Zeovit system, which I find of exceptional quality (personal experience), I would recommend using only their products to get yourself going. The system(products) is in constant evolution and designed to interact. Foreign products may hinder success.

Go to the zeovit website and download the English version of the guide:

http://www.korallen-zucht.de/

this will get you started. There is a USA Zeovit site, as well.

you may, also, wish to join the Zeovit Forum, which is multi-lingual. A very informative forum, similar to this one. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me. I am still a beginner with Zeovit, but will happily share my experiences. As with any Marine System, going slowly is the key.
Old 01/03/2008, 04:20 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Well, thats half of it... the other half of a nutrient poor system is to suppliment with enzymes, bacteria, and bacterial plankton. Otherwise, simply dosing ethanol will get the same 'low nutrient' system results.

For info on Zeovit, go to ***************

Also, look into Ultralith by Fauna Marin. Its almost identical, but a much better value it seems (Claude of FM said its more of a 'hobbyist' grade version of Zeo, where Zeo is more of the 'fanatical' grade stuff.

Last edited by Nanook; 01/05/2008 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01/05/2008, 03:08 PM
Brother Maynard

i have been very happy with zeovit...and have tapered down its 'use' once i established my low nutrient levels to 'finally' get my sps' to color up and grow. i have found a very happy balance for my tank using some zeo products and other ((mostly natural) methods.

to start zeo...i would go to their forum and hit up the mods. they are extremely helpful on zeo and non zeo related issues.

when starting, this is one system i would not try and be smarter than the average bear...meaning, i would not venture out of their recommended guidelines (eg high alk)...i would follow their recommendations to the T as they have the most experience with it.

the problems i see most frequently with people using zeo then giving up saying it doesnt work or is just a baloney are those who do not use it correctly, use other products combined with it (trying to be smarter than the average bear) or just dont give it enough time for nutrient reduction and bacterial colonization stabilization.

hope this helps and perhaps i will see you there on zeo help you with zeo related issues.

Ben.
Old 01/05/2008, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

To me it seems like it's more effort to maintain a zeo system I looked into is and the LFS runs it in some tanks and I've watched their tanks crash.I'm not saying it's no good but the dosing regiment seems to need alot of attention,I'd be worried to go on holidays and leave in the hands of anyone but a true reefer.Thats just my interpretation after reading the zeo guide. does anyone know the $$ per day to run a zeo system?
Old 01/05/2008, 08:18 PM
Brother Maynard

i wouldnt run zeo IF you are not experienced in maintenance esp in the area of tight parameter control and in the regular habit of testing for it.

this system is not for everyone nor was it meant to be for everyone...it is for those who absolutely love and enjoy putting time into their reef. it is no different than some of my friends that rush home from work to fix their cars, polish their cars, look at their cars...etc...for hours and hours and hours..........and hours...

if one is looking for an 'easy' way to get popping colors...then zeo might be a challenge for those. it requires measured daily dosing, daily zeolite rock movement and weekly (triweekly for me when i was going full bore) testing of critical parameters of alk and ca...along with the odd mg and the K+ that seems to be lower in zeo systems.

i have gone on holidays and have experienced no problems...but i did this when i was deep into phase II of zeo...so missing a few days was no big deal. and...going on vacation with zeo is no different for me than going without zeo. with my tank caretaker...i leave a 12 page detailed print out of what to do but more importantly what to look for if and when something goes wrong. then they are to call me promptly. i do not let them feed or dose anything. i wouldnt even let a fellow reefer dose my tank...even if it were non-zeo. there are things that only you will know about by the subtle nuances that your system tells you. i just ask them to make sure the lights go on, water is moving, the temp isnt too high and to check salinity...and to add fw from a dedicated rodi spout in a premeasured amount. no auto top off for me.

the learning curve is steep and the dosing seems initially confusing...and heck, it is in the beginning...that is what the mods on zeo are for.

as for lfs' doing zeo...it is somewhat scary for me if they are having inexperienced hands dosing the additives...esp if there is no set schedule, no set responsibility etc. see the potential for a problem that can easily lead to a crash? lfs' owners have a tough enough time worrying about operating overhead, thinking about profit/loss margins, when the next shipment of live goods are coming in, when the next shipment of drygoods are coming in, if this shipment of livegoods is going to be seized because of inadequate CITES documentation from the shipper, cleaning the tanks, uprighting corals, water changes, feeding the fish and the most time consuming part...trying to catch THAT nemo fish for the 8 year old that insists on having THAT one. another easy pitfall for zeo use in a lfs...distraction.

cost:

initial cost 'can' be expensive. but heck, what isnt in this hobby? in reality, the most expensive part of zeo is the 'reactor'...and i made my own 2 gallon external reactor for $20 (rather than the $450+ it would normally cost). believe it or not, zeo has decreased its prices. i used it when it WAS expensive. they have cut their original prices by 10 - 20%. to start, you just need the basic four: zeobac, zeostart2, zeofood, zeolites...and they are not 'that' expensive.

if and when you are ready to start zeo, go on the forum and ask as many questions you can and want to...the guys on there are a ton of help with infinite patience. i know, they helped me through it!!!

Ben.
Old 01/06/2008, 06:59 AM
Registered Member

Ben.

well put. Zeo is not for the weekend aquarist, although the established system is very stable, getting there requires attention to detail and good observation. I have tried other zeolith systems, such as Elos and Ultra, but was not truly happy. They work, but the fine tuning was not there and with Elos, the translation was not there! My Italian is quite poor.

In comparison, the Zeovit system was a bit less expensive in the long run for me. This is based on European prices. Also, the forum support is simply great, you can't pay for this kind of enthusiasm. The info exchange is very stimulating, much like this forum, but more focused toward low-nutrient systems (not just Zeo). Improvements on the products is in constant discussion, as well as their use in non-zeolith systems.

I admit, I belong to that group of aquarists that are enjoying the ride and less interested in the final destination. It's the getting there that makes for the memorable experience. Once you've arrived, you do have this 'master of the universe' feeling, though. Suddenly, all corals look possible.