Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/12/2007, 01:56 PM
Registered Member

Barlett's Anthias

I saw a bunch of them in Aquatic Gallery but for $35.00-$45.00/ea, kind of expensive if I get 9 of them, have you guys seen them cheaper somewhere else
Old 11/12/2007, 02:07 PM
Premium Member

Re: Barlett's Anthias

Quote:
Originally posted by africangrey
I saw a bunch of them in Aquatic Gallery but for $35.00-$45.00/ea, kind of expensive if I get 9 of them, have you guys seen them cheaper somewhere else
That's not too bad. The lowest I have ever seen them was $24.99, but that was years ago. They have really become popular because their reputation for being hardy had gotten out. These are becoming more difficult to find.

I think $29.99 is a "Buy IT Now, No Questions" price these days.
Old 11/12/2007, 02:12 PM
Premium Member

I recently got 3 Lyre Tail Anthias. They were a little hard to get to eat and I lost 2. They did seem very healthy and ate in the store before purchase. That was my experiance, but they are beautiful fish.
Old 11/12/2007, 04:03 PM
Lap San

wholesale price is around 18-19 dollar eachs,30-35 at retail is about right.
Old 11/12/2007, 04:07 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by orientalexpress
wholesale price is around 18-19 dollar eachs,30-35 at retail is about right.
That is pretty much in line with what we paid for our school/shoal of 11 Bartletts. Males typically cost a little more than females since they are more colorful, but you can just get all females and within a couple of weeks (sometimes within a week for Bartletts) at least one of them will turn into a male (depending on how many you get).

HTH
Old 11/12/2007, 04:08 PM
Registered Member

they die to ick easily keke
Old 11/12/2007, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

So quaratine tank is a must. I heard they are jumpers too when scared.

Do you guys think 9 or odd # are good number to get for a 120 gal, for some reason I heard to get shoal in odd number to minimize aggresion.
Old 11/12/2007, 05:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
So quaratine tank is a must. I heard they are jumpers too when scared.

Do you guys think 9 or odd # are good number to get for a 120 gal, for some reason I heard to get shoal in odd number to minimize aggresion.
They can jump, but they don't get scared too easily.

9 is a GRIP of anthias. They'll eat you out of house and home. I'd aim for 5 or 7. They are a flurry of activity. I think you'll be quite pleased with 5 or 7. I kept two until they died from a faulty GFI. They aren't as aggressive as other anthias, nor are they as picky.
Old 11/12/2007, 05:15 PM
Premium Member

our group does eat ALOT (and often), but then again so do a good number of our other fish (our orange shoulder tang is a PIG and a half).

I don't know about them dieing easily of ich, but we had an incident with another fish getting beaten up and getting an infection and the bartletts weathered that "storm" just fine.
Old 11/12/2007, 05:23 PM
Registered Member

Thanks guys, any one else who has seen them cheaper? Don't want to try 6th ave if I can avoid.
Old 11/12/2007, 05:40 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Thanks guys, any one else who has seen them cheaper? Don't want to try 6th ave if I can avoid.
Take a look at the ones at AG, if they the yellow back is very vibrant and distinct and the first dorsal spine is a pink "diamond", I'd get those. Bartletts can vary based on their collection site.

Sometimes they are more expensive because they come from a better area. Perhaps AG's are that way, and perhaps not.

The best ones I have seen come from Christmas Island or was it Cook Island.
Old 11/12/2007, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

I got mine from Concepts for ~29.99, but I'm not sure if they've changed the price. 9 might be a lot for your tank, since they do like to eat a lot. 5 might be better for a 120.

btw the palmers has become a dark blue. I'll still need to get the nathan's frag from you one day.
Old 11/12/2007, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

Mike,
Glad to hear the Palmer's blue milli is doing well, have you switched to a reefflux 10K, for some reason that bulb bring richest blue out of coral . How does the Resberry milli look, hope it deepen up also.
Spencer
Old 11/12/2007, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

I didn't switch over to the reeflux, since I'm planing on upgrading to 20K radiums. The Resberry did color up but not as red as the photos. Hopefully with the radiums they'll look even better.

The other pink one I got from you now has bright green tips with a pink base. I'll shoot you over a pick when I can get a decent shot.
Old 11/13/2007, 01:16 AM
Premium Member

Our Nathan's is growing well, but doesn't seem to be as vibrant green as it was a month or so ago (but then again e did change our MH to AquaConnects back then). The Palmers milli has become incredibly dark blue, and several other pieces we picked up from you have colored up nicely. We lost the raspberry frag within a day or so of our visit though. . One of these days we will have to get another frag of it from ya
Old 11/13/2007, 02:50 AM
Registered Member

Seems like the thread has derail to something else, but....

Tom,
Sorry to hear about the rasberry, you should have told me earlier, anyway I will cut you a bigger replacement piece next time when you visit, no charge of course.
Just let me know.
Spencer
Old 11/13/2007, 12:49 PM
Premium Member

sorry for the derailment. Been trying to post in this thread since earlier today *sigh*. I sent you a PM about the Anthias Spencer (hopefully that will have better luck of making it through)
Old 11/13/2007, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

pm'd you Tom, yeah it would be great if we can split a shipment.
Old 11/15/2007, 06:28 PM
Premium Member

i just saw them today for 29.99. i think they mislabeled them for like 49.99 but the asian guy apologized. so it seemed like half were males and half females. will they all morph into females aside from 1 male then ?
Old 11/16/2007, 01:24 AM
Premium Member

I don't believe that they will go back to being female. The general consensus is that once they turn into males, if you don't have enough room (and have more than 1 male per 4 - 5 females), then they will start killing each other off. Do a search on anthias (or more specifically bartletts) and you will find several threads that talk about this.
Old 11/16/2007, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by yongsum
i just saw them today for 29.99. i think they mislabeled them for like 49.99 but the asian guy apologized. so it seemed like half were males and half females. will they all morph into females aside from 1 male then ?
Where did you see them for $29.99?
Old 11/17/2007, 05:18 PM
Premium Member

thanks Tom, I'll search a bit more (was being lazy).

Quote:
Originally posted by caseydog
Where did you see them for $29.99?
they were at the spot over on Ocean.
Old 12/10/2007, 03:26 AM
Registered Member

Thank Tom for hooking me with a supplier who got me a great deal for 9 bartlett's. The box was ship via Delt Dash to Sacremento airport and Tom was there picking it up.
1/9 arrived DOA which might have been due to the cold weather as Sacremento that day was chilly.
I put them in my tank after 3 hour of drip acclimation, they initially schooled together but after 2 days they scatter all over, and most them hide when the MH is on. Perhaps 2x 400watts are too bright for them

Oh, forgot to mention, just like everyone else said they eat like pigs

Here are a few pictures, hard to get them all pose together like I mentioned earlier they scatter around.

Old 12/10/2007, 03:53 AM
Registered Member

Nice Spencer. Looks like you may have one already turning into a male.
Old 12/10/2007, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

Thanks, how can one tell whether it's a male or a female, color or fin?