Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/08/2007, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

Poll for people who are having problems cultivating Corraline

A discussion in the SoCal forum got me thinking about the quandry of people who have problems cultivating corraline in their aquariums. It got me wondering if perhaps it was something related to the brand of salt they use.

If you are having problems cultivating corraline, please post what type of salt you use- Natural Salt Water (NSW) or some sort of synthetic salt- Red Sea, Oceanic, Instant Ocean, etc...
Old 10/08/2007, 10:01 PM
Moved On

I use rc and no corraline but my tank is still pretty new 4months. So proballay dosent count.
Old 10/08/2007, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

I've used both IO and RC and I have a ton of coraline algae. I know you wanted people who had problems to post, but since I've used both I thought it would be good info.
(Click my Red House)
Old 10/08/2007, 10:12 PM
Premium Member

same here Used both IO and RC and before that Red Sea. Never had problem growing coraline algae.
Old 10/08/2007, 10:14 PM
Registered Member

I use Kent salt and have a lot of coraline algae growth. Tank is two years old.
Old 10/08/2007, 10:49 PM
Moved On

I have been using IO and RC and I haven't had signifant coraline growth. tank is a year old in Nov.
Old 10/08/2007, 10:55 PM
Slowly growing gills.

I think its more important to note what your calcium and dKH levels are. If either one is too low, you are not going to see significant growth of coraline algae. It can only grow in an environment where there is significant Calcium that can be used to form the body of the coraline algae. And the calcium can only be utilized if the dKH value of the tank is kept at a steady and useful level for absorbtion of the calcium.

Brand of salt is kinda moot if their isn't enough calcium to form coraline.....
Old 10/08/2007, 11:07 PM
Premium Member

agreed
Old 10/08/2007, 11:08 PM
Registered Member

I think the bulbs play a role as well along with Kalkwasser additions. Clean water to.
Old 10/08/2007, 11:24 PM
Addicted to the Reef

low light levels seem to be key

i had no coraline growth in my 770 watt vho 150 gallon tank for a long time.. then. i took off one ballast ( turning off 4 bulbs) and within two weeks the tnak was literaly covered

i have only done one water change in the past year. 50 percent using nsw ( that was 5 months before the lights turned off)
( have been using kalkwasser for ca for the past year)

"to many tanks not enough r/o"
Old 10/08/2007, 11:29 PM
Premium Member

I'm sure thier all factors to be considered. My system consist of 2 tanks connected to one sump. 90g with 2-250w MH + 4-32 pc's and a 40g has 4-24w T5's. Both tanks are connected sharing the same water and are the same age. My 40g has much better coraline growth. So I'd have to say the 2-250w MH are a little stronger than what it coraline algae desires.
Old 10/08/2007, 11:30 PM
King of the white corals

heres an interesting note...maybe worth something maybe not.

I run the same 10k XM 250 watt bulbs the same distance from the water on both of my tanks. Too much coralline growth in both to be honest, but it is twice as thick, twice as quick to grow, and 2-4 times as dark of a color in the tank I supplement with VHO URI super actinics, the other tank I run MH alone. Besides the fact that the tank with VHO supplements is BB and the other dsb, mag, calcium and alk identical.
Old 10/08/2007, 11:33 PM
Premium Member

How old are your 2 tanks. Age difference
Old 10/08/2007, 11:36 PM
King of the white corals

The bb tank is a year, the dsb tank is 15 months...so more or less the same. The systems are actually in a sense quite a bit older than that as there was no new rock added to start either of them....they were consolidations.

it very well could be due to the fact that the coralline doesnt have to compete with the sandbed in any way in the BB tank.........even though levels are maintained the same....but interesting just the same I think.

here is kind of a funny picture of the BB tank after neglecting it for a month. Man did I wish it was a glass tank at that moment

Last edited by flyyyguy; 10/08/2007 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10/08/2007, 11:42 PM
Premium Member

Same here when I upgraded my tank. The LR came from a 5yr old 55g. Only Tufa and lace both dry when purchased, was added to the new setup.
Old 10/08/2007, 11:47 PM
Premium Member

Holy c#@!. I'd say thats pretty good growth. I had acrlic once and i'll Never have one again. I just scratches to easily. Other that that there great.
Old 10/08/2007, 11:50 PM
Unregistered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by flyyyguy
The bb tank is a year, the dsb tank is 15 months...so more or less the same. The systems are actually in a sense quite a bit older than that as there was no new rock added to start either of them....they were consolidations.

it very well could be due to the fact that the coralline doesnt have to compete with the sandbed in any way in the BB tank.........even though levels are maintained the same....but interesting just the same I think.

here is kind of a funny picture of the BB tank after neglecting it for a month. Man did I wish it was a glass tank at that moment

Photoshop? The sand is purple in that photo - not like coralline purple but just a hue of purple - as if a significant amount of editing had been done. Even things that were caught in the reflection are purple
Old 10/08/2007, 11:51 PM
King of the white corals

Sand??? Here is a pic of my sand with the halides on. I assure you the only editing done to that pic was cropping. The halides are obviously not on, and my camera is custom white balanced to my 10k's....not blue lights......

I only photoshop the corals I sell, I dont waste those skills on pics trying to impress people with my coralline growth

Last edited by flyyyguy; 10/08/2007 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10/08/2007, 11:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by davidryder
Photoshop? The sand is purple in that photo - not like coralline purple but just a hue of purple - as if a significant amount of editing had been done. Even things that were caught in the reflection are purple
Weren't you listening, there is no sand! That was the whole point of the story
Our Father, who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy Name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, In the ocean as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily surf. And forgive us our stolen waves, As we forgive those who pull out in front of us. And lead us not into white water, But deliver us from the tube. For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever and ever. Amen.
Old 10/08/2007, 11:57 PM
Unregistered Member

Definitely different shades of purple - like neon vs dull.

Regardless how did your sandbed go so long without being disturbed?
Old 10/09/2007, 12:02 AM
King of the white corals

Quote:
Originally posted by davidryder
Definitely different shades of purple - like neon vs dull.

Regardless how did your sandbed go so long without being disturbed?

are you serious???

funny how shades of purple are different under actinics with a camera custom white balanced to a 10k bulb.........vs. pics taken under 10k halides with a camera custom white balanced to them

I keep my sandbed from being disturbed so well by only using a sequence hammerhead for flow on this 90 gallon tank
Old 10/09/2007, 12:06 AM
Unregistered Member

blah
Old 10/09/2007, 12:11 AM
King of the white corals

ummm ok david ryder.

I edited the pic just to impress people with purple. but you caught me.

Usually your posts are intelligent. Have you been drinking??

Anyone who knows white balance on a camera, especially one custom balanced to a white light....takes funny pictures of blue things like actinics

Im editing out this last statement as it was simply in response to davids last post whidch he deleted. I really dont go around arguing over stupid things, and when i do it is usually with people who make a habit of posting silly things.....unlike David who is a intelligent helpful guy. Was it beer or liquor tonight.

Last edited by flyyyguy; 10/09/2007 at 12:18 AM.
Old 10/09/2007, 12:43 AM
Registered Member

I get great coraline growth with NSW, Warner Marine Alk, Kent Turbo Calcium and Tropic Marin Mag . As you can tell, I'm not band loyal. I'm starting to get plating coraline.

The biggest factor in coraline growth is mag. I now dose one scoop of Mag a day along with alk in the ATO and Ca dumped into a quiet area of the sump.

All this dosing is getting to be a bit much. Automation is coming soon.

As a side note flyyyguy has some impressive coraline growth.
Old 10/09/2007, 01:17 PM
Registered Member

I thought he was a professional peacemaker anyways?
Our Father, who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy Name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, In the ocean as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily surf. And forgive us our stolen waves, As we forgive those who pull out in front of us. And lead us not into white water, But deliver us from the tube. For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever and ever. Amen.