Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/28/2007, 09:40 PM
OT Slaughter House

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony Calfo
Hmmm, interesting... I'm looking at our emails with you and see that I wrote you a full paragraph on photo tips for helping others to help you with photo IDs... and that Bob clearly answered your question:

Re: urchin ID - couldn't find it in the archives... Antoine and RMF input
jartanyon wrote:
Found this little guy and thought he might be poisonous...any ideas?
Justin
>IDs from pics are often difficult. If you have the time/interest... do check out some photography forums for advice, too, my friend. With a few good pointers you could greatly improve your image taking. Maybe we can help
here: what kind of camera are you using? (and do get an off-camera cord for that flash to hold it from above, my friend... a huge help right there)
(Good advice)
The problem with the pic sent is that your subject comprises only a fraction of the frame (always get as close to your subject as possible for these types of shots, and in general).
(Ditto)
As for the focus... with stronger light (from above or above-angled) you could increase your shutter speed and likely get a sharper image. Better yet... please use a tripod.
(As well)
Without a clear pic, its hard to say what genus let alone species this might be.
kindly, Anth-<
(is likely a juvenile Eucidaris species... family Cidaridae, not venomous as the toxopneustids...
Bob Fenner)

------------------

Yoru original question is also archived on WWM (we archive everything useful for the benefit of other/fellow hobbyists). Your query and answer have been archived appropriately on the "Urchin identification" page:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/urchinidfaqs.htm

It seems rather innacurate if not unkind that you'd say "Fenner and Calfo didn't even have a clue on what it was," to folks that gave you a fast and personal response to your query.
You really are a cry baby aren't you?
Old 06/28/2007, 11:14 PM
Registered Member

Fiji, You should go to school to be a Photographer, this will also help with you invert ID. and also document taking advantage of RAY.
Old 06/28/2007, 11:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony Calfo
Hmmm, interesting... I'm looking at our emails with you and see that I wrote you a full paragraph on photo tips for helping others to help you with photo IDs... and that Bob clearly answered your question:

Re: urchin ID - couldn't find it in the archives... Antoine and RMF input
jartanyon wrote:
Found this little guy and thought he might be poisonous...any ideas?
Justin
>IDs from pics are often difficult. If you have the time/interest... do check out some photography forums for advice, too, my friend. With a few good pointers you could greatly improve your image taking. Maybe we can help
here: what kind of camera are you using? (and do get an off-camera cord for that flash to hold it from above, my friend... a huge help right there)
(Good advice)
The problem with the pic sent is that your subject comprises only a fraction of the frame (always get as close to your subject as possible for these types of shots, and in general).
(Ditto)
As for the focus... with stronger light (from above or above-angled) you could increase your shutter speed and likely get a sharper image. Better yet... please use a tripod.
(As well)
Without a clear pic, its hard to say what genus let alone species this might be.
kindly, Anth-<
(is likely a juvenile Eucidaris species... family Cidaridae, not venomous as the toxopneustids...
Bob Fenner)

------------------

Yoru original question is also archived on WWM (we archive everything useful for the benefit of other/fellow hobbyists). Your query and answer have been archived appropriately on the "Urchin identification" page:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/urchinidfaqs.htm

It seems rather innacurate if not unkind that you'd say "Fenner and Calfo didn't even have a clue on what it was," to folks that gave you a fast and personal response to your query.
Ahh, it's ok, he was probably just trying to stroke my ego.

Not to get on your case here... I read another thread(quite some time ago, on another forum) where someone was kinda unhappy with you. It was in regards to your critical eye when it comes to photographs. This other fellow was just sharing some pics(not for ID purposes). His pics were quite nice, at least I thought so. Not the standard, fill the frame with one centered subject type. To me, atleast, that's what it looked like he was going for... Something a little other than the norm. So, is it S.O.P. to critique everyones photography skills so harshly? I realize, you probably view a thousand or more pics every week. Most of them, probably, absolutely terrible. So, I could see where it could get on your nerves. I don't know, it just seems to me you could go a bit easier on folks when it comes to that. Most of us just have crappy digital cameras. For the most part, they get us by just fine.

Also, in regards to Fiji's pic, he did say he was keeping it in a bag. It's kinda tough to get a good shot in a bag.

Hope I didn't offend, or tick you off. It wasn't my intention.
Old 06/29/2007, 10:16 AM
Parapterois heterura

Very strange, I did not see my reply as being critical "so harshly." Good heaven's... I gave a crash course on photo taking that began with, "If you have the time/interest... do check out some photography forums for advice, too, my friend. With a few good pointers you could greatly improve your image taking. Maybe we can help"

What part was harsh? The affable "my friend" address or the offer of a "few good pointers" (that were given to me as a younger fellow from none ofther than Scott Michael and Robert Fenner"?

Furthermore... Justin got an email with an ID within hours of emailing us both. Yet his post here claims "Calfo and Fenner did not have a clue."

Its not a big deal... but it is a flat out lie and a little irritating. Behavior like this is part of the reason why some very knowledgeable hobbyists/authors don't field emails or volunteer on the message boards. Thanks is not even needed for the mentoring efforts... but please at least dont tear us down with lies, however small they may be. Some fellowship would be nice.

As for the photo tips, the advice given above applies to the point and shoot cameras as well as the SLRs. Some very fast and simple efforts (tripod, getting camera and subject as close together as possible, use as much light form above as possible, etc) will greatly improve the quality of your images... and the ability of the folks that you are asking free advice from to help you
Old 06/29/2007, 02:29 PM
Registered Member

Well, just the overall tone seemed condescending, even somewhat critical. It was just an observation on my part.

"Justin got an email with an ID within hours of emailing both of us. Yet his post here claims"Calfo and Fenner did not have a clue.""
As I said first in my post above..." Ahhh, he was probably just trying to stroke my ego." I should have asked him, as he dropped off the urchin to me today.