Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 06/12/2007, 04:17 AM
Premium Member

anything meaty. raw shrimp, scallop, clam etc. feed him lots they will also eat nori
Old 06/12/2007, 08:34 AM
I May be Ich Free

Quote:
Originally posted by zemuron114

A single bluejaw will be fine in any reef setting.
LMAO...tell that to my 8 chromis, bangaii, firefish and yellow sleeper... oh wait...too late.
Old 06/12/2007, 08:37 AM
I May be Ich Free

Quote:
Originally posted by mattyice

the pair together

all i can say is WOW... incredible photo... stunning.
best of luck with them...
Old 06/12/2007, 02:24 PM
Premium Member

I said that my sargassum likes to nip at small fish. I take that back it is the long skinny fish that he likes to nip at. He loves to chase and nip the tail of my tilefish but since the move to the 400 gallon he leaves the tilefish alone for the most part. The poor guy was in bad shape but has healed up nicely. I have many other small fish that he doesn't mess with.
Old 06/13/2007, 03:42 PM
Premium Member

it is an exception to the rule that your blue jaw ate those fish. Not the norm IME. I hold them with chromis and small fish all the time...

sorry to hear he ate all the fish
Old 06/13/2007, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

Mybe they were use to eating small fish before you got them. Ive heard of people the will feed them nothing but live food. And sure those fish would see small fish as food. They are triggers, and love to eat, lol. Im still not worried at all about mine with the fish and corals I have. Sorry for your loss.

100 Gallon 100Lbs L/R, 100lbs L/S, Tek Limited Edition 6 Bulb!!
Old 06/14/2007, 08:55 AM
Registered Member

Where is the best place to find a sargassum trigger. I'm interested in one but not many places on line carry them that I have noticed.
Old 06/14/2007, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

Sargassum are from the caribbean. Find a good caribbean supplier. They seem to be more avail at certian times of the year.

My crosshatches, bluethroats, durgeon (more of a risk, I know) and pinktails have all been model citizens that don't eat fish, inverts and most importantly don't drop sand everywhere. I don't know that I would would put a neon or catalina goby in with any of them, but they don't eat cleaner, fire or peppermint shrimp.

I would be really happy if they at my remaining damsels or chromis.
Old 06/14/2007, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

BTW - don't underestimate the need for these fish to be fed. Just because they can be reef safe doesn't mean that they are reef friendly. My current pinktail is about 5" and will eat the large sheet of nori all by it's self. The durgeon will do almost the same. When I had my 7" crosshatch, he would eat even more. This is a lot of waste that even the largest and cleanest of systems will suffer from.
Old 06/14/2007, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jda
Sargassum are from the caribbean. Find a good caribbean supplier. They seem to be more avail at certian times of the year.

My crosshatches, bluethroats, durgeon (more of a risk, I know) and pinktails have all been model citizens that don't eat fish, inverts and most importantly don't drop sand everywhere. I don't know that I would would put a neon or catalina goby in with any of them, but they don't eat cleaner, fire or peppermint shrimp.

I would be really happy if they at my remaining damsels or chromis.

I've thought about going out and trying to find a Juvi in the sargassum algae here on the gulf coast. I was told by a supplier from south florida that all he finds in that stuff is the greys. He said the sargassum are usually 15-20 miles out and not worth it for him to collect. I'll have to have the lfs talk to his guys down in south florida for me as well. The thought of getting one for free down at the beach is nice as well but if its just going to turn out to be a grey then its not worth it, well unless its a nice sunny day and skimpy swimsuits
Old 06/14/2007, 10:55 PM
Registered Member

I have a niger in 125 gallon. Just got him, didn't eat the cleaner shrimp and is peaceful so far.