Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 05/28/2007, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

Reef safe trigger??

I would like to add a reef safe trigger to my take but can't afford a Crosshatch, what other Triggers are considered reef safe?
Old 05/28/2007, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

Blue Jaw?
Old 05/28/2007, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

trigger

most people will tell you that a blue jaw trigger is reef safe...however like most things in this hobby its a crap shoot!!
Old 05/28/2007, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

Is the Crosshatch the only true reef safe Trigger?
Old 05/28/2007, 09:22 PM
Premium Member

I don't think a Crosshatch is any more safe than a Blue jaw or a Sargassum. Mostly, they're planktivores, sometimes they'll eat stuff. Pretty much like any fish, only a bit more risky than most "reef safe" fish...still, I think if you took a poll of Crosshatch, Blue jaw or Sargassum triggers in a reef, most would respond that they've worked out fine. Crosshatch owners in general are probably more likely to put up with some monkey business because they shelled out several hundred more dollars for their fish than your typical blue jaw owner.

jds

jds
Old 05/28/2007, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

Ive got a pair of blue jaw triggers in my reef, and they are great fish!! Ive got them with pepperment shrimp, cleaner shrimp, and all kinds of crabs. Heck they will stop by and get cleaned by the shrimp. I have never seen them show aggrestion in any way. They are really neat fish, and would recamend them to anyone with a bigger tank. They will turn into big puppy dogs and beg at the front of the tank, and "grunt" at you when they are hungery. There were the first fish in my tank, and have allowed me to add alot of fish with no aggression. After I added the yellow tang the male blue jaw buddied up with it and now they swim all around the tank together. Blue jaws will always be safe with your corals, but I have heard of some that will eat shrimp. They are not hard on the aquascaping like other trigger either. Good luck and let us know what you do,

Michael

100 Gallon 100Lbs L/R, 100lbs L/S, Tek Limited Edition 6 Bulb!!
Old 05/29/2007, 01:12 AM
Premium Member

sargassums i think are the most "reef safe" trigger. the thing about triggers (especially pairs) is if they decide they want to mate or do the mating dance, they will attach and kill other fish who get in their way. As far as being safe with corals, keep them well fed and they should be fine.
Old 05/29/2007, 01:18 AM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
90 gal.. gonna need a small trigger at that..

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 05/29/2007, 11:51 AM
Registered Member

Thanks everyone. Yes regarding a small trigger
Old 05/29/2007, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

sargassums stay small enough for a 90, or I think they would for a while. I know my blue throats has stayed the same size for like 6 months.

zemuron114: I had no idea the triggers would attemt to breed in a tank!! I mite sell the female soon, so I dont end up with a messed up tank... Thanks for the info!!

Michael

Old 05/29/2007, 06:56 PM
TANK RAIDER!

reef safe trigger=oxymoron lol
Old 05/29/2007, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

bluejaws are perfectly reef safe, i have yet to hear a bluejaw eat anything that it wasnt supposed to eat, the only bad case i have heard of is my pair eating 2 damsels...the damsels were live food for them

they did eat a clam but i abused the tank for a week and didnt feed them so that is my fault, i have a pair and i hope they mate, all the fish in my tank are plenty fast to get out of the way of mating triggers, but...no trigger should be kept in a 90, sorry but a 125 is the smallest i would put a pair of triggers in or even a single trigger even sargassum triggers reach 9-10" easily
Old 06/03/2007, 11:49 AM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by gasman059
reef safe trigger=oxymoron lol
That's untrue.
As mentioned, the Xanthichthys triggers are generally reefsafe, as is the pinktail (Melichthys vidua). If you get a more docile niger trigger, it can be a model reef citizen (but this one requires a little more luck than the others).

Dave
Old 06/03/2007, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

What size tanks do you guys have your blue jaws in? How fast do they grow.
Old 06/03/2007, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

Mine are in a 100g 5 foot tank for now. The male is 4 1/2 inches and the female is arond 5 1/2. The guy I got them from had them for almost a year, and said they put on mybe an inch. Ive had them for a few months, and can say they just gain weight, lol. Im thinking about selling the female though. The fish dont really act like a pair, and they both eat like pigs so im kinda worried about my nitrates going up...

Old 06/03/2007, 07:42 PM
Premium Member

I have a female crosshatch and sargassum in my reef. Both of them for the most part leave everything alone. The female crosshatch likes to mess with the inverts (black longspine urchin, arrow crab, shrimp) but has not killed anything. My sargassum leaves the inverts alone but likes to chase the small fish sometimes.
Old 06/03/2007, 07:49 PM
TANK RAIDER!

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolverine
That's untrue.
As mentioned, the Xanthichthys triggers are generally reefsafe, as is the pinktail (Melichthys vidua). If you get a more docile niger trigger, it can be a model reef citizen (but this one requires a little more luck than the others).

Dave
sorry but anything that's possibly nipping imho is not reef safe
just myy opinion
Old 06/11/2007, 06:02 AM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by gasman059
sorry but anything that's possibly nipping imho is not reef safe
just myy opinion
Nipping fish or corals?

If you're talking corals, and you truly want to eliminate the possibility of nipping, you've also just eliminated everything in the tang and angelfish categories, most blennies and gobies, most damselfishes, and a lot of other things. Several of those are significantly more likely to nip at your corals than a crosshatch.

Dave
Old 06/11/2007, 06:10 AM
TANK RAIDER!

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolverine
Nipping fish or corals?

If you're talking corals, and you truly want to eliminate the possibility of nipping, you've also just eliminated everything in the tang and angelfish categories, most blennies and gobies, most damselfishes, and a lot of other things. Several of those are significantly more likely to nip at your corals than a crosshatch.

Dave
OK! TYVM
Old 06/11/2007, 01:29 PM
I May be Ich Free

they are reef safe in regards to not eating reef corals..but they will eat reef fish.
Old 06/11/2007, 01:38 PM
I yam what I yam

My pink tail trigger is a model citizen, dosen't bother a thing. But he'd be a bit large for a 90 as mine is currently around the 8" in length area. He's in a 400G tank.

All fish can be possible coral pickers. They are each different, same as we are. Some are more tollerent than others. I do beleive though that if you keep them happy and well fed, they are less likley to nip at your prized corals.

Have you THANKED a Veteran lately for the freedoms you take for granted each day?
Old 06/11/2007, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

bluejaws, crosshatches, nigers, pinktails, and sargassum triggers all will eat reef fish that are small enough

i have yet to see my triggers nip at any coral and are actually quite skittish, my male is thick, bright, and is most likely the best looking male bluethroat i have seen, he is about 5-6" long and has grown about an inch since i bought him in february, the female i bought at about 3" and is actually growing at the same rate as the male, i have mine in a 125 and will be moving them to my 700G tank when its complete

the key to keeping them happy is giving them a variety diet, i have about 10 different foods that i feed the tank in a cycle over a week period

here is a new picture of my male

the female

the pair together

Old 06/12/2007, 12:43 AM
Premium Member

saying they WILL eat any small fish is greatly overstated. I've seen crosshatch in full blown SPS reefs with clown gobies, fairy wrasses, etc etc etc. all are very small in comparison to a male crosshatch.

A single bluejaw, crosshatch, or sargassum will be fine in any reef setting. When you have a pair and they get "cozy" (not mating, but maybe attempting or thinking to) they will start to nip and possibly attach small fish.
Old 06/12/2007, 01:19 AM
Registered Member

I have my blue throats in with a pair of neon gobies, percula clownfish, a tang, and dwarf angelfish. They all get along. If anything the tang is the boldest fish of the tank. The blue throats just like to eat, lol(fish food, not inverts). I have to agree, most fish will nip a coral, or kill an invert every now and then but I would have no trouble putting the above triggers in a reef tank.

Old 06/12/2007, 02:30 AM
Registered Member

What do you guys feed your triggers? I just got a pair crosshatches and it is eating mysis, but they go thru the packs so fast. What other foods do you recommend? They are about 6-8 inches. I'll post some pics of them later. Please help. Thanks a lot.