Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/02/2005, 12:05 PM
Premium Member

sick clown

my clown is pooping out white stuff i think she is sick.
are any of these safe to use in a reef tank
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...&N=2004+113021
please help
Old 07/02/2005, 02:19 PM
Send me email with ?

They're safe, but are they going to cure your fish? I don't think so.

More info would be helpful:
How old is your tank? When did it originally cycle?
List all specimens in the tank (fish, inverts, corals, clams, etc.).
Do you use a quarantine tank and procedure? Was your clown held in quarantine and treated prophylactically for Brooklynella?
Foods you use and feeding schedules.
How long have you had this fish?
Do you use any vitamins? any additives? Please list all.

Chances are the fish is internally infected with intestinal parasites. If that is the proper diagnosis, the fish should be moved into quarantine, since the infection is highly contagious. Once in quarantine the fish is specifically treated for that infection.

Hope this helps.
Old 07/02/2005, 03:25 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by leebca
They're safe, but are they going to cure your fish? I don't think so.

More info would be helpful:
How old is your tank? When did it originally cycle?
List all specimens in the tank (fish, inverts, corals, clams, etc.).
Do you use a quarantine tank and procedure? Was your clown held in quarantine and treated prophylactically for Brooklynella?
Foods you use and feeding schedules.
How long have you had this fish?
Do you use any vitamins? any additives? Please list all.

Hope this helps.
my tank is 7 months old. i have had my clown for 4 1/2 months
List all specimens in the tank
grama
jaw fish
randels goby
3 pj cardinals
xenia
anthelia
hammers
frogspawns
zoos
mushrooms
snails
cleaner shrimp.

I don't have a quarantine tank.
feeding schedules: every night
I feed cyclop-eeze, and mysis.
Do you use any vitamins?: yes selcon
Old 07/03/2005, 09:47 AM
Send me email with ?

What goes in; comes out.

I would suggest the following:
1. Change the diet. Clownfish are omnivores. They need about 40% vegetables in their diet. The foods you feed are all protein-animal sources for carnivores. Add seaweed; feed spirulina and herbivore diets that contain some krill, fish meal, etc. For more feeding info, see the middle of this thread: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=606527

2. Selcon is a fat source. It contains only a few vitamins. Cyclop-eze is the same concept --- it is an enriched fat source pod. So, you're 'doubling up' on serving your specimens on fat. I also suggest you look into using a vitamin to soak their food. Either use Selcon or Cyclop-eze, not both at the same time, and then, use either one only every 3 or 4 feedings.

3. I figure the best feeding schedule is 3 times a day. In the wild they eat continuously, so more frequent feedings is the best for them. If you can manage 3, give that a try. At least go to twice a day.

4. Treat the fish for intestinal worms. Worm infestation is very contagious. Most wild-caught fish have it. Choose an appropriate medication and begin using it immediately. Medications containing piperazine and that group of chemicals are useful for this. Some are available to add to their foods at feeding times (another good reason to increase the number of feedings).

5. Although the ant-iparasite food would help, I still wouldn't rely on it alone. I would recommend using a medication to add to the proper foods (item 1. above). I think of the product you originally posted a link to, more as a preventative than a cure.

I hope this helps and I hope you take the above suggestions as just that. . .suggestions, not criticisms.

Good luck!

Old 07/03/2005, 10:02 AM
Sorry, I'm not Jeremy

You can order Metronidazole at dr.fostersandsmith.com. You can place it in its food. Also there is a product called Prazipro, although I am not sure it works on internal Parasites.
How is your clown behaving? is he thin? Is his poo white all the time? if he ih behaving normally, has a healthy wieght and has some normal poo I would not worry. However if he is eating and getting skinny and appears weak and lifeless, I would take action
Old 07/03/2005, 05:44 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KIMHARDIE
You can order Metronidazole at dr.fostersandsmith.com. You can place it in its food. Also there is a product called Prazipro, although I am not sure it works on internal Parasites.
How is your clown behaving? is he thin? Is his poo white all the time? if he ih behaving normally, has a healthy wieght and has some normal poo I would not worry. However if he is eating and getting skinny and appears weak and lifeless, I would take action
she is behaving normally.
she is fat.
Is his poo white all the time? no onley once

and i feed krill to
Old 07/03/2005, 11:12 PM
Sorry, I'm not Jeremy

Just keep an eye on her, if she is healthy looking etc, she is probably ok.watch for wieght loss and other odd behavior
Old 07/03/2005, 11:41 PM
Premium Member

she likes my cleaner shrimp.
Old 07/04/2005, 12:28 AM
Sorry, I'm not Jeremy

Really? none of my clowns have ever used the cleaner, or do you mean he nips at him? that I can see, clowns are fiesty little buggers!!
Old 07/04/2005, 01:18 AM
Premium Member

none of the clowns in my other tank have ever used the cleaner. she is strange. the cleaner walks all over here and cleans.
she is a black saddle clown.