Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Colorado Rocky Mountain Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2008, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

In case your a bit stressed....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BCXcbaLeoA

soothes the nerves
My Turbo Honda -> Click little red house.
Friends don't let friends buy from Front Range Aquatics
Old 01/09/2008, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

I would rather see them blow something up... Nothing like a good explosion to sooth the nerves. :-)
Old 01/09/2008, 05:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oscar89
I would rather see them blow something up... Nothing like a good explosion to sooth the nerves. :-)
How about this mythbusters? XD please don't plug that drain pipe on your water heater.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJoyuUJj2Q
Old 01/09/2008, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

hey tkeracer619,
do you get into Audi Turbos any? I am looking at going stage 3 this summer. I have a local hookup but wasn't sure what you had going and if you ventured away from the Hondas any.
Old 01/09/2008, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, I have messed with them a bit. Most of my stuff is with hondas though.

One thing I can't stress enough. Garrett GT series turbo, they are a bit pricey but are well worth it. Turbonetics is junk, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

If you are looking at the 400hp range then a GT3071R is where its at. If your looking for 300HP then go with a GT28RS, its what I run, stop light to stop light there is no faster spooling turbo.

I'm not sure what the audis use for engine managment. Whatever you get make sure it is really meant for that boost levels or your motor is toast.

How many miles are on the motor? Is it already stock turbo? Are you going to build it with forged pistons and such?

How deep are you trying to go with it? Once you get to a certain point there is no going back. When the engine is over 2x nada car value then you might have gone to far =P. I did that long ago XD

You have mechanic skills and a second car right =D
Old 01/09/2008, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

I already have the apr stage 1+, injectors, chip, intake, forge pipes, hoses, intercooler, boost controller n stasis suspension. I am looking to go with a k04 style or garret turbo.
lil over 60,000miles currently
my current turbo is the k03 sport in which I am pretty darn close to blowing the seals out. So I am shopping for a replacement, and will reflash my chip to match the new turbo.
I will do the work myself, just looking for a possible deal on a turbo. I will send the spare ecu off for a flash on the chip. the apr guys have been really good to me at their location in texas so i will probably go apr again.
got any hook ups on the garret that you run?
Old 01/09/2008, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

K04 FTL. Go stage 3+

My friend has a 1.8T MTM stage 3 w/ the K04 and hes always dreaming of 3+ although his car is giving him trouble.
2 * Korlia 4
Aquamedic Calcium Reactor 1000
Red Sea 50mg Ozonizer
Old 01/09/2008, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

stage 3+... no thanks, my current setup with a new turbo is plenty!
besides dropping 5 grand on the car greatly reduces my coral buying, just to keep this thread associated with reef talk ")
Old 01/09/2008, 10:45 PM
Anemone Rancher

I find this to be most relaxing.

Of course, there are times that one might need medication to relax.
Old 01/10/2008, 01:13 AM
Registered Member

I think you would be good with the disco potato. I will ask my buddy if he can hook it up.

It's the turbo that made superchargers obsolete =]

I have had them all on this car. From the $129 ebay special to the current disco potato. I played with some $1800 turbonetics ballbearing crap for a while....

What I like about the GT series is that its the last turbo you should have to buy..... My motor is ceramic coated so more of the heat is retained in the charge and comes out the exhaust. I have burned up turbos left and right. I purchased this gt used from someone who ran it daily @ 24psi for 8 months. Still going strong 3 years later =]. In fact when I installed it, the low end tourqe went up so fast that my phantom grip lsd no longer gripped. I had to install a quaffe LSD if I wanted to stay in my lane =]

If your looking to hit 250~300whp it will give you full clean boost all the way to the top and still come in early. Something is to be said for this turbo.... I wish my distributor wasn't broke, we could make a lap. I cant go over 5000rpm atm without loosing timing..... MSD
Old 01/10/2008, 01:36 AM
Registered Member

a assume this is the disco potato?

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...ochargers.html

sounds like what I am looking for. Thanks for the input. thanks even more if you can hook one up.
Old 01/10/2008, 01:51 AM
Registered Member

The disco potato is the GT2860RS. http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...S_739548_1.htm

the name is official, as crazy as it sounds. It can be described as if john trovolta was really a potato and spun around at those parties 90,000 times a minute. Chuck Norris uses one as his hair dryer!

Quote:
Originally posted by artful-dodger
I find this to be most relaxing.

Of course, there are times that one might need medication to relax.
awesome, I think we are on the same page.
Old 01/10/2008, 01:55 AM
Registered Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWGmSl1p-MM

Enjoy =P Poor Porsche's

Edit: Also check this one at 54 seconds. Check out the response to his foot =]. Mine starts to build around 2800-3000rpm and acts like that around 3500.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsuvdZ_HpMA

Last edited by tkeracer619; 01/10/2008 at 02:27 AM.
Old 01/10/2008, 05:49 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescados
hey tkeracer619,
do you get into Audi Turbos any? I am looking at going stage 3 this summer. I have a local hookup but wasn't sure what you had going and if you ventured away from the Hondas any.
I have a '01 S4 that's ripped apart in the garage now. Going full RS4 widebody - K04's, fueling kit, GIAC chip, AWE intercoolers, Ohlins coilovers on all 4, Alcon 14.5" brakes, and a couple other goodies. Just got the car back from paint this last weekend after installing the body kit and reshooting the car. Hoping to have front suspension, engine, and tranny back in this next weekend. Shooting for April as my finish date - it's been almost two years in the works. Should be ~550HP at the crank once everything is done.

Who is your "local hookup?"
Old 01/10/2008, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

why the GIAC chip? I thought mine was JUNK! replaced it within 4 days.
Old 01/10/2008, 03:08 PM
Registered Member

All this turbo talk is making me miss my 03 1.8t GTI. I didn't do alot of upgrades to it other then mod my airbox, add a boost gauge, forge 007 diverter valve, and a ebay 2.5 inch downpipe. It sure woke the car up. I did try the revo trial software and loved it....

Hey tke,

Got a spare turbo laying around for a 97 Honda civic HX? at 115 HP she's a beast, but a few more HP would be nice
Old 01/10/2008, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LooseHip
All this turbo talk is making me miss my 03 1.8t GTI. I didn't do alot of upgrades to it other then mod my airbox, add a boost gauge, forge 007 diverter valve, and a ebay 2.5 inch downpipe. It sure woke the car up. I did try the revo trial software and loved it....

Hey tke,

Got a spare turbo laying around for a 97 Honda civic HX? at 115 HP she's a beast, but a few more HP would be nice
Actually I have a cabnet full of them. But they are all in need of a refresh except for my 650hp model.

I did just drop a RSX motor and tranny into my buddies civic. Before going turbo on that car I would drop an integra LS motor or something better. You can spend thousands modding a d series motor and still be as slow as you were when you started =D It's best to just yank the D series and put in a B series. I have a buddy with a 92 civic hatch with all stock honda engine parts that dusts a lot of the big boys on the track. He drives it 3 hours to the track, red lines it for 2 days strait, then drives it back.
Old 01/10/2008, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

Alright I better stop thinking about it before I sell my tank and invest my money back into my car...... Although it would be fun to do... But out of curiousity, if you had to gestimate what would it would cost to drop in a b-series and turbo the thing?
Old 01/11/2008, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

It depends on what you want to do, I try to convince people to spend $10,000 off the bat if they want to do a turbo car.

You can definitly do it for less, no question about it. I try not to simply because there is no point unless you are 100% satisfied.

What is spending $5000 if your not happy with the final product. Waisted money.

If you get into building a motor then it can cost as much for the motor by itself.

To get an idea of what I put into my motor.... not at all a normal build.

Headwork was done by a guy with a bunch of land speed records in cali. Labor was $1800 Parts $1000

Block was done at ERL. Milled out aluminum sleves and fit cast iron sleves (displacement to 2.0), line bored crank, assembled fully balanced. Labor I think was close to $1400. Parts were roughly $2000

Manifolds, fuel parts, bolts, studs, gaskets, mounts, bolt ons.... $2700 easy.

Turbo $1200

Computer to make it work $1800

.... that doesnt include the stock motor at $4000, putting the motor together, tuning expenses, or labor finishing the car. Also leaves out the numourus hours involved makeing all the parts work right together.

Security is always an issue, I used to be sponsored so they installed the $3000 alarm system for free. =] It calls the police on its own and cannot be disarmed short of blowing the car up and even then the shrapnel would make noise It also has an undisclosable feature that would send a would be thief strait to the emergency room.

True story, was at the mall, someone broke a window of the suv next to me to jack the system.... My alarm went off due to the glass break and saved his truck. Hows that for lucky.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

Don's rules

Jon knows more of reefing alone than most LFS whole staff, He made A.A what they are in reefing, now even the owner of A.A is clueless, does he call you up for advice on running his shop Jon LOL

It seems he copys Dons everytime they make a RMRC post.
and the apology A.A gave on RMRC was loaded with B.S.

I think A.A and FRA went to the same buisness school. LOL

A.A is a store that I went to since I started in this hobby, half my livestock was bought there. Now his 40% off fish couldnt even get me in that place!

40%off he should be right at Don's pricing.

Thanks A.A
for sending me to Don's.

Josh
Old 01/11/2008, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

10 Gbars is def. out of the question at this point but if that is what it cost to do it right then..... that is what it cost. That is sweet about the alarm system, I know all about civics/honda's/integra's getting stolen. Had 3 buddies all get their civics stolen, and stripped no fun. I was even more upset about one of the civics then my buddy was, being that I did all the work to it.

I would def. like to check your car out one of these days, perhaps if you are willing to help me mod my octo skimmer, when I decide to order up the enkamet for the mesh mod. Maybe I could take a little looksy at it!
Old 01/12/2008, 01:05 AM
Registered Member

tkeracer619
what is your car running in the 1/4 mile if you don't mind me asking. I guess i have dumped 3 or 4 grand into my car but it was turbo to begin with.