Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/27/2007, 11:37 PM
Registered Member

Setting up a Q tank?

Just a few questions?

Should I do LS & LR?

Do I dose copper when needed?

If so how would I get it off the fish before moving them back to the reef?

What should & should not be dosed?

UV?

Any thoughts and uses for a Q tank welcome…

Thanks

lj

75 AGA
diy refugium 20gal (eco-system style)
mag 7 rtrn - 2 MJ 900 1 MJ1200
wavemaster pro
Duel 175 MH Duel NO
Excalibur HO skimmer - on sump
70 lbs lr
70 lb
Old 11/28/2007, 02:14 AM
Registered Member

I use a 20 gallon tank with a small Wet Dry filter. The wet dry takes care of the bio load. I keep the tank with no LS or LR. Just something small for the the fish to hide behind but easy to remove to catch them. Trying to catch fish will a lot of LR will stress you and the fish out.

I dose copper and run a two week cycle. I will time this with a water change on the main tank and at the end of the two week cycle do a 50% water change on the Q tank. That way it cuts the copper down and gets the fish used to the main tanks water chemistry.

You don't have to worry about getting the copper off the fish. Just try and get as much of the water off the net and fish durning the transfer process.
Old 11/28/2007, 02:20 AM
Team RC Member

a QT tank is meant to just observe whatever you are getting. no need to treat for something that isn't there.

QT tanks can be very simple. all you really need is a tank with enough room to house whatever you get for 4 weeks, some type of biological filtration and light/ heat depending.

a lot of people dont use live rock or sand because if there is a problem and medication are needed then the rock and sand cant easily be reused again. i use live rock in my QT but i know that if something comes up the rock is no good.

here a thread about QTing clams, but it will tell you how easy setting up a QT can be and you can use this for fish and corals also

http://www.clamsdirect.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1911

------------------------------------------------

Last edited by mbbuna; 11/28/2007 at 02:57 AM.
Old 11/28/2007, 02:46 AM
Registered Member

Re: Setting up a Q tank?

Quote:
Originally posted by lj1064
Just a few questions?

Should I do LS & LR?

Do I dose copper when needed?

If so how would I get it off the fish before moving them back to the reef?

What should & should not be dosed?

UV?

Any thoughts and uses for a Q tank welcome…

Thanks
lj
I agree with the others, Dont use LR or LS. Kepp the tank empty for the exception of some PVC or something similar for a place to hide.
You can use copper, or do the hypo salinity( which works very well).

I Know most setup and tear down the QT after they use it. I keep mine running all the time just incase I have to use right then, Instead of having to go thru the hassle of tearing it down and setting it back up again.

When Im not using it as a QT I use it as a frag tank since I do the Hypo salinity method.
Old 11/28/2007, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

I'm not as patient as mbbuna. I treat fish right away with copper just to be safe.

If you know what you are looking for you can just keep a close eye on them and based on the gestation period of most diseases in 4 weeks if you see nothing you should be safe. But I'm just paranoid and use copper. Don't want to risk it.