Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Delaware Reef Club (DRC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/22/2007, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

holy @#$%^&

so i got the mod kit for me maxi jet went hooked it up and it was blowing everything over so i took it out for now till i can figure where to place it so it would not blow so hard on my corals any suggestion ?
Old 12/22/2007, 11:16 PM
Delaware Reef Club

I know for a fact if you put your mod in my tank your sand wont blow
Old 12/23/2007, 12:20 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by a1amap
I know for a fact if you put your mod in my tank your sand wont blow
sand is not the problem
Old 12/23/2007, 12:30 AM
Registered Member

I'm using one in my 75 reef with 5 inch plenum sand bed and so much rock. Its not a problem there. actually, I need more to work thru the maze of rock and corals. its a 75 gallon tank with 30 gallons of water in it.
Old 12/23/2007, 01:50 AM
Delaware Reef Club & DVRC

I bought three because one broke, I thought I would use them in a 30g reef. I couldn't figure our a way to slow it down. I suppose it's nice when you have a larger tank and I plan on trying them in a bare bottom 40 and my 75. They are just too powerful for the smaller tanks. Sucks to because the regular maxijets are too little flow for my 30 and there isn't really a happy medium unless I hope to a different brand.
Old 12/23/2007, 08:32 AM
Registered Member

jon - try one of the smaller koralia's
Old 12/23/2007, 11:31 AM
Delaware Reef Club

Post a pic maybe we could modify something.

If its like the one below, the holes on the side impact the flow. Cover some of the holes and the flow slows down

Old 12/23/2007, 11:37 AM
Delaware Reef Club

Quote:
Originally posted by Tank Predator
sand is not the problem
I guess my joke was only funny to me.
Old 12/23/2007, 12:00 PM
Delaware Reef Club

Just thought of this. A very easy solution to reduce the amount of water that goes through the holes would be to cover it with felt filter floss. This would slow the water and act as a small filter.

Home depot or lowes has velcro and Jo-Anne Fabrics has the felt. Cut a small piece of felt that is large enough to wrap once around the mods holes. Sew the velcro(the side that has the hooks)on to the felt this will sucure it to the mod.(easy removal to change felt) Make a few extras and you can change them out once a week. If the flow is still too strong double up the felt.

The other idea would be to cut a piece of pvc pipe,that would fit around the mod, into 1/4s. This could be attached to the mod with rubber bands. Need less flow add another 1/4 piece till the flow is good.

Last edited by a1amap; 12/23/2007 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12/23/2007, 01:08 PM

Al, king of mods. lol
Old 12/23/2007, 04:16 PM
Registered Member

If blowing sand isnt the problem what is it blowing over?

Have you tried bounceing the flow off the front or back walls?

Mo Flow Mo Betta i always say.
Old 12/23/2007, 08:14 PM

Shnabbles you ever used one of the mod kits? You could blow over frags easy, small corals easy, could probably blow over some LR if you positioned it right.
Old 12/23/2007, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gordonious
Shnabbles you ever used one of the mod kits? You could blow over frags easy, small corals easy, could probably blow over some LR if you positioned it right.
what he said
Old 12/24/2007, 02:39 PM
Premium Member

Why not sell them...I'd be interested. If you want a Korilia, try jcaquatics on ebay, he has some now.
Old 12/29/2007, 12:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gordonious
I bought three because one broke, I thought I would use them in a 30g reef. I couldn't figure our a way to slow it down. I suppose it's nice when you have a larger tank and I plan on trying them in a bare bottom 40 and my 75. They are just too powerful for the smaller tanks. Sucks to because the regular maxijets are too little flow for my 30 and there isn't really a happy medium unless I hope to a different brand.
jon what are your feelings on a bare bottom tank? i heard alot of mixed info about them but i have seen many that were extremley awesome. so is it like any other tank? get back what you put into it?
Old 12/29/2007, 02:39 PM

Bare bottoms can be set up very nicely. My next tank actually that is in the works will be bare bottom. However for your tank I wouldn't recommend going that route. You have at least three animals that will only eat pods. You have been very lucky that they have not starved to death so far, in a bare bottom tank they probably will unless you add 20X the live rock which your tank just won't hold. Other animals such as your gonipora benefit from high pod populations which won't be as present in a bare bottom.

Honestly the only way I would consider setting up a bare bottom is if you had a live sand bed somewhere else in the system.(another connected tank such as a fuge) My bare bottom tank will share water with three other tanks with sand beds. Just my two cents.