Reef Central Online Community
Live Aquaria

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/11/2008, 06:04 PM   #1
reggiepe
Seriously?

Talking Finally! My LFS got some Bangaiis in for me

I stopped in my LFS store today and was surprised with 6 CB Bangaiis. I have been following this forum for about 6 weeks now and started to put the word out about two weeks ago. He gave me all 6 at an absolutely awesome price for CB's and then told me that after I got the pair that I needed to bring back the remaining 4 for full credit. You can't ask for much more than that. Now I just have to watch and wait. They are all about quarter size. I am assuming that they have a ways to go yet as they are more than likely still juveniles. I'll get some pics on here soon. Any thoughts and recommendations are welcomed.

reggiepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2008, 06:32 PM   #2
reggiepe
Seriously?

Here are the Pics

First time with pics...hope this works

Photobucket

Photobucket

Old 01/11/2008, 07:44 PM   #3
Avalanche Wolf
Registered Member

I really wanted to start with this breed but after going from place to place for almost a month and never enough broodstock in I gave up and selected another breed.

You scored on getting 6 not to mention him refunding you for the remaining four after the pairing.

Keep us updated for sure.

Current Tank Info: 100g Reef 35g sump * 15g Tall Frag Tank with overflow and 10g sump
Avalanche Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2008, 07:53 PM   #4
DOTZ
Registered Member

They look great!!!!! My LFS just got 4 in for only 12.99 each. Man I wish my tank was ready for them. LOL Good luck with them and I hope you get a pair....or two.

DOTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2008, 08:07 PM   #5
reggiepe
Seriously?

Any expert opinions on possible age of these?

Current Tank(s) Info: 75 mixed Reef, 6 x 54 ATI T5, ReefBrite Blue LED, (2) Ecotech MP40, (2) Ecotech MP10, 15 gallon sump, Bermuda Rogue Skimmer, 500ml Bio pellet Reactor.......30 Breeder, Current NEP w/ ATI bulbs, 10 gallon sump, Eshopps Skimmer, CPR Aquafuge w/ cheato........28 JBJ CF Nano......yep, that's it.....but it still isn't enough :-)
Old 01/12/2008, 07:15 PM   #6
Roy G. Biv
Premium Member

Good luck! I hope you dont get a brother/sister. You may get weird markings like those misfit perculas I keep seeing.

Roy G. Biv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2008, 07:12 AM   #7
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally posted by Pmolan
You may get weird markings like those misfit perculas I keep seeing.
Then you can do like some of the clown breeders, name your culls something ridiculous but catchy and sell them for more than the normals

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2008, 07:51 AM   #8
james37128
Registered Member

Your LFS is looking forward to getting these tank bred Bangaii's, smart of them to offer you full credit on the 4 that don't pare up. Good luck, keep us updated! I love hearing success stories of people breeding. Do you have any specs. on your setup?

Current Tank Info: Downgraded to 30 gallon with t5's and minimum equipment, stocking only fish and rics.
james37128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2008, 09:31 AM   #9
reggiepe
Seriously?

Thanks everyone for you wishes, Here is the setup that the current 6 Bangaiis are in. I know that after the pair is formed I will need to do some serious changes to the environment...or maybe not.

30 gal breeder
Amiracle sump
Bermuda Rogue Skimmer
Lighting is supplied by a Nova T5 and a Current Power Compact Fixture.
Temp and lighting all controlled by an AC Jr.

Inhabitants include:

3 False Percs
2 Green Clown Gobies
6 Bangaiis
~50 lbs. of Live rock
~ 10 Ric frags
~ 40 Zoa Frags
A couple of Mont Caps
and about a half acre of Xenai (used for credit at the LFS )

Current Tank(s) Info: 75 mixed Reef, 6 x 54 ATI T5, ReefBrite Blue LED, (2) Ecotech MP40, (2) Ecotech MP10, 15 gallon sump, Bermuda Rogue Skimmer, 500ml Bio pellet Reactor.......30 Breeder, Current NEP w/ ATI bulbs, 10 gallon sump, Eshopps Skimmer, CPR Aquafuge w/ cheato........28 JBJ CF Nano......yep, that's it.....but it still isn't enough :-)
Old 01/13/2008, 11:46 AM   #10
james37128
Registered Member

Are you trying to mate up your percs too? Breeding them sure could end up rewarding. Might be a little tougher to bring through the initial stages of development in the larvae though. I wish you luck. Before the 2009 you will probably end up with growout/broodstock tanks all over the house.

Current Tank Info: Downgraded to 30 gallon with t5's and minimum equipment, stocking only fish and rics.
james37128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2008, 10:21 PM   #11
Chad Vossen
Registered Member

i would recommend setting up a second or third pair to bring back to the store as a favor. im sure they would really like to be able to sell pairs.

Current Tank Info: just a bunch of fish :)
Chad Vossen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2008, 09:09 AM   #12
reggiepe
Seriously?

I am sure you are right....I will only know what genders that I have when they start to mature and start the pecking order. Even then I may find that I have all males or all females.....now that would be a major bummer. But, that is a risk that we have to endur.

On another note...thankfully these guys are all eating Frozen Brine shrimp. I would like to get them to take some Pellet foods as well. They will go after the pellets but they spit it back out. could that be that they are not soft? maybe soaking them for a little before putting the pellets in the tank will help? anybody else know if this is the case?

Old 01/14/2008, 07:56 PM   #13
carlso63
Reefkeeping since 1977

My wild - caught Banggai pair will go for almost any type of frozen food you can think of but neither fish will take any pelleted or flaked foods at all...

Although I got 4 or 5 of my first brood of babies from this pair to eat flake - which I have been told is something of an accomplishment

Wanna see my tank?

Go to www.utahreefs.com

Current Tank Info: 150g Reef: 3 X 250 Halides (LumenMax3 / IceCap / Pheonix 14K DE), 2 X Gyre 150s, Elite Aquatics sump, dc9000 return, Curve 7, RKE, BRS Dual Reactor, Chaeto / Caulerpa Fuge
carlso63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2008, 05:33 AM   #14
reggiepe
Seriously?

thanks Carl. Maybe I will try soaking them in some garlic to see if they may take to the pellets. It is my understanding that the Garlic is an appetite stimulant. It worth a shot.

Old 01/15/2008, 05:52 PM   #15
reggiepe
Seriously?

Well, I think I have the first of two casualties from the six that I received. I came home from work this eve, and one of them was on the bottom of the tank really gasping. I slowly caught it and moved it to quarantine. I am assuming that there isn't much more I can do for it. One of the six was smaller than the others and it never seemed to want the brine shrimp. Well, I believe that it may have had something wrong with it before I received it.

After I removed this one I watched for signs when eating and there was another one that did not want to seem to stay with the pack. I removed that one and placed it in quarantine as well.... just to be safe. I hope that I am just being paranoid. If there are any suggestions as to what to do, they will be welcomed.

Old 01/15/2008, 06:12 PM   #16
reggiepe
Seriously?

well that was quick...... I wasn't quick enough for that one. My son just came back and said that it wasn't breathing anymore. RIP

Old 01/19/2008, 07:11 AM   #17
Fairy Wrassler
Registered Member

Usually CB are tough as nails and will eat anything - what were they eating before you got them? Offer a range of foods. Brine is not good, mysis has much better nutritional value.

A week or so ago I re-paired my old female after she killed her husband a few months ago - and today they are pregnant. Whew. I just couldn't find any other fish big enough for her - the one that I got is only 3/4 of her size. Given her past form I was worried.

Pairing them was difficult for me and I own the lfs and import licence :-)

Watch for aggression also. After they pair, the pair can be tough on bystanders. They may not look it but they can be tough, and IME it is the females that carry the biggest stick.

HTH,
FW

Fairy Wrassler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/2008, 10:34 AM   #18
reggiepe
Seriously?

THe first few days I started with just Brine shrimp. They are still eating it, but I am soaking it in a soak to increase its nutritional value. I also bought some that is enhanced with spirulina. The next time I am at the store I will get some mysis as well. THanks for the tip.