Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/02/2007, 07:09 PM
The Original Chingy

Spend some extra money and buy a reputable printer!

I kind of thought there had to be a catch when I picked up a $60 Lexmark color inkjet printer/copier/scanner...

Now, three years later and probably $200 worth of ink later, I'm sending a letter off to Lexmark hoping to at least get a working printer, after discovering that my model has a known defect for permanently clogging cartridges in a very short amount of time.

That's what I get for being cheap...
Old 10/02/2007, 08:06 PM
Eternally Discombobulated

Yeah, just when you think you beat the system...you end up getting screwed.

We just got a Canon IP4300 (I think that's the number) a few months back and let me say that it is a really nice, well put together printer. Paid $100 for it and I see it lasting a long time....mostly 'cause I generally have very good luck with technology. Sometimes, most times....but not always.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 10/02/2007, 08:09 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

LOL - I've got an Epson R2400. A set of cartridges for it sets me back about $110. I can get about 10 13 x 19 prints out of it before I've got to start swapping ink cartridges.

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 10/02/2007, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

I prefer a laser printer. We have a color ink jet that is used on for color copies only and the laser printer is used for documents. The ink last a lot longer on the laser printer and the copies are nicer. I would love to have a color laser but we are too cheap to buy one.

LSU,
How bout em TIGERS!
Old 10/02/2007, 08:15 PM
Cancer Sucks

We have a nice new HP photo printer with built in wireless. It takes like 8 different color ink cartriges, but a whole set of cartriges is only $40 and each ink pack comes with 200 4x7 glossy photo paper.

"There either is or there isn't life out there. Both possibilites are frightening."
(someone help me out - who said this?)
Old 10/02/2007, 08:28 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

I run an HP2610 All-In-One and am extremely happy with it. It's not as crisp as a laser printer, but it's not nearly as expensive.
Old 10/02/2007, 08:30 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

For photo printing, my R2400 kicks the crap out of any color laser.

Old 10/02/2007, 08:54 PM
The Original Chingy

If I ever get a new printer, I'm definitely going laser. Clearer text, fast, and lasts longer.

We got an Epson 600 about 10 years ago for $300 something. It only quit working last year.
Old 10/02/2007, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

HP PhotosmartC3180 here. it scans, copies, prints, makes sammiches, and drives me to school. okay, so only the first three but you get the idea. i like it
Old 10/02/2007, 09:32 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

I've actually been reading up on printers just tonight as it'd probably be worth it to me to have a decent one for doing prints - ones I'll be looking at will be closer to $1,000 though.

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 10/03/2007, 12:17 AM
Registered Member

Lexmark printers

Janice's mom here. We too have a Lexmark printer and good luck with getting one that works, or sending a letter and getting a reply or any decent help. I have replacement printer #3 to be hooked up to see if it can copy or scan well enough to see.
Old 10/03/2007, 01:54 AM
Premium Member

I've never had a Lexmark and never plan to get one. I've used Canon, didn't really like it. A couple HP's, now on a 8250 that is about worn out.

Not too fond of the HP. Don't get me wrong, the print quality is very good, Sharp and clean if you will. What gripes me is print size. We use it for some photo's and totally unhappy. Print an 8X10, and maybe we get an 8X10. Trying to print multiple pics on a sheet is a joke, picture size anyway.

We use Adobe Photoshop and the HP printer just won't size or print where we put it on the canvas. Now, the Fuji 3500 printer..... Perfect. A little costly to operate, and outdated now, but the best so far. Depending on paper, anywhere from 70 to 100+ dollars for 100 sheets (and the wife stuffs as many photo's as possible on a sheet).

The Fuji is strictly photo, I think you could pick up a refurb or used one fairly cheap now. I just wish ours would get out of the shop so it can be used again.
Old 10/03/2007, 08:59 AM
On "The List"

laser all the way!
I have a Lexmark Optra S 1525 laser
duplexer (prints 2 sides)
3 paper trays (plain paper, letterhead, invoice stock)
envelope feeder
toner cartridge costs about 80 bucks, rated at 10-12 K pages

huge footprint, but it's a workhorse & I can't complain

HEY! I lost it first ~CRP

There is no "Brain" in "Brian." ~Beerguy
Old 10/03/2007, 10:05 AM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by dwd5813
HP PhotosmartC3180 here. it scans, copies, prints, makes sammiches, and drives me to school. okay, so only the first three but you get the idea. i like it
I need one of those. Ours is a 950C deskjet. Rarely use it but it works fine for recipe printouts.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 10/03/2007, 12:28 PM
Dirty Reefer

I just got a refurbished Epson Stylus shipped free direct. Still has the same warranty and costs less than buying a new set of ink cartridges alone.

The Last Resort, The Eagles
Old 10/03/2007, 03:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dc
I need one of those. Ours is a 950C deskjet. Rarely use it but it works fine for recipe printouts.
yeah, so far it has done a good job printing me directions to the FL aquarium and copying the bylaws of my condo association back in MA. it did pretty good printing me an A paper in my English class last week too. I would like to see what kinda photo prints i get out of it, but i dont have any shots loaded into my comp yet.
Old 10/03/2007, 06:42 PM
Crap Under User Name

You can buy a pretty good inkjet at Wal-Mart for less than the price of the ink. Seriously. Just use it until you run out of ink and get another printer.

The little men that live behind my eyes and scream into my brain told me to tell you hi.
Old 10/04/2007, 02:45 AM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Before my unfortunate incident in 2000 I used to work on laser copiers and printers. I've yet to see the inkjet that can match what the good laser can do. Of course the inkjet wont set you back 15 or 20 grand either
Old 10/04/2007, 09:07 AM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
Before my unfortunate incident in 2000 I used to work on laser copiers and printers. I've yet to see the inkjet that can match what the good laser can do. Of course the inkjet wont set you back 15 or 20 grand either

Perhaps but it depends on the genre. For professional photography, there isn't a photographer on the planet that uses laser. For photographic work, on fine art papers, the quality and color fastness just isn't there. Especially when compared to the new pigment (vs dye) based professional inkjets. In the "fine art print" realm, folks pay extra for "giclee" prints.

Yes there are "laser" printers that can offer that kind of quality but they're not traditional laser printers. Kodak's Durst line, for example, but rather than fusing toner they use a laser to expose photographic papers.

Old 10/04/2007, 09:45 AM

Dunno, used to care for lasers in a couple of specialty photo places and a bunch of print shops. Unless they really improved Inkjets over the last few years the people I was dealing with would disagree.
Old 10/04/2007, 10:32 AM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

I'm serious Grim.

I know quite a few professional photographers. None of them use laser.

Old 10/04/2007, 10:37 AM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

I also just checked B&H Photo and Video's website. They're the place for professional photographic supplies. They don't even sell a laser photographic printer.

Old 10/04/2007, 10:38 AM

What kind of money are we talking for the type of inkjets they use? Like I said the stuff I worked on was spendy not just to buy but to run as well. The toners were almost as fine as smoke particals. You didn't want to spill that stuff, god what a mess
Old 10/04/2007, 10:45 AM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

My R2400 only cost me $850. It uses 9 separate pigment based ink tanks and will print up to 13" wide. The 3800 is very popular and it runs about $1500

Depending on the size of your media you can spend $15K on an inkjet.

Old 10/04/2007, 10:54 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

Especially the large format inkjets. Most of them that I saw were starting at $5k. That's still darn cheap compared to the printers they use in true professional labs though. Some of them I've heard of run between $250K-500K or more

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71