Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/20/2007, 08:48 PM
Obsessive Compulsive

Offtopic - Need traffic advice

So my company opened up office in Brooklyn a week ago and while it's not super bad on the way there, the drive back is killer. We're located in Greenpoint (which is right near Van Dam St - last exit on the LIE before entering Manhattan) and pretty much need to get back to Nassau.

It takes 1.5-2 hours for something that is normally a 30 minute drive. It is a bumper to bumper parking lot up until the Grand Central, and even then it only clears up a tiny bit. The first 30 minutes when the BQE merges is the worst.

We tried going down down Metropolitan Ave to the Jackie Robinson to the Grand Central. That was pretty brutal too and didn't work.

There also aren't any LIRR stops that connect with a subway to take us to Manhattan Avenue / Greenpoint Avenue (pretty much where our building is). The only option is to take the LIRR all the way to Penn Station and then get on the G train back to Brooklyn. I'm not sure how cost/time effective that would be either.

My last hope of an idea is to head north on the Pulaski Bridge to Jackson Ave, and then head home on Queens Blvd or Northern Blvd. I haven't tried it yet but I'm willing to bet it may be just as bad as the other methods.

Would appreciate any advice as if things work out it will be our permanent working location for the next few months at least.

Thanks
Old 12/20/2007, 09:23 PM
How many is too many?

Walking would be quicker LOL On that note i have to head down to Jackson Avenue once a month for my shop stewards meeting at my union hall. Ive left there at 8 pm and still got slammed in traffic. It takes me quite a long time to make it down to the block i need to turn off of van dam stat 5 pm. I guess you could try to find a route via side streets. Maybe if you can find your way to Grand Avenue then head up towards the LIE. Hope that helps you.
Old 12/20/2007, 10:17 PM
Registered Member

Only thing I could think of is Hunters point Ave; LIRR has service there during peek hours, from there it's a short walk to the G train at 21st.
Old 12/21/2007, 07:43 AM
Registered Member

Move, transfer or ask for flex time
Old 12/21/2007, 06:53 PM
Registered Member

I worked for years off Maurice Ave and believe it or not the LIE was the best way home with a few minor go arounds here and there. Of course the CB helped when you could get the traffic ahead. Good luck