Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/23/2007, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

help me with my build of new tank

Hey guys as some of you know i am building a new 180. I already got a hole saw today to drill my acrylic sump. But some of the PVC i am doing i need some cement to glue it together. I just came from home depot and they had different weldon PVC cement. i saw the primer which is the purple stuff then i saw the cement but they had different numbers on them which one do i use. And how do i primer everthing 1st with purple one then the cement or no need for the purple one. Please help me. well i am talking off going out hopefully someone can give me a couple answers so when i come back i can buy the correct one. Ill take some pics of my progress also thanks guys
Old 12/23/2007, 06:39 PM
Premium Member

the purple one is the primer and the blue one is the PVC glue. When you glue the pvc pipe just a coat of the primer but alot of the pvc glue. That way no leak in the future. Make sure you are generous with the pvc glue so it will fill up all the space in between the pipe and the bulk head. If the joint have some small leak you will have a problem with micro buble later.

I will trade my golf swing for your tyree frag.
Old 12/23/2007, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

We used the christys red blue pvc glue, it worked where the other did not, use glue heavily, I didnt use enough first time around.
doh!
and use the primer on everything, it makes it sticky.
Also use ball valves and unions on everything (or union ball valves) even better.
expensive but, Im glad I did it
Old 12/24/2007, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

so which one is first?
And the weldon had different numbers for the PVC cement which one do i use?
Old 12/24/2007, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

The primer goes first (Usually purple and a water consistency). You just need enough to cover the pipe. Next up is the glue, which is more of a honey consistency and is usually blue. Liberal application to both the make and female ends of whatever you are gluing. Also, you don't want to wait to long between the primer and the glue (ie within a minute) as the primer tends to make the PVC swell a bit and it can be difficult to make the two pieces push fully together.
Old 12/24/2007, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

Do you mean different numbers like schedule 40 or 80? 40 is the white pvc and 80 is the grey stuff used for electrical. I can't remember what cement I bought before, but there is one that works with both sch. 40 and 80.
Old 12/24/2007, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

ok thanks i got the order down now and time frame but what PVC cement do i use. I went to home depot yesterday and they had different PVC cement with different numbers on them. i think there was like 2410 then another one said 3600 something. Then there was some Red one but it is all made by weld on. Any one can give me an idea on which PVC cement to use for this thanks.
Old 12/24/2007, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phatsonate
Do you mean different numbers like schedule 40 or 80? 40 is the white pvc and 80 is the grey stuff used for electrical. I can't remember what cement I bought before, but there is one that works with both sch. 40 and 80.
well i am using the white pvc which is the scheduled 40 but i dont know what cement to use i dont want to poisen the fish or leach something bad into the water
Old 12/24/2007, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

I believe this is the glue they are talking about http://www.thegreathardwarestore.com...20&click=2744, Hope this help's.
Old 12/24/2007, 04:14 PM
Registered Member

Here is another link http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...YF:en%26sa%3DN
Old 12/24/2007, 04:48 PM
Premium Member

The PVC primer can be purple or clear.

For cement, make sure it's for Rigid PVC and is usually clear. It's available in regular or low volatile versions. Either one will work fine.

Do not use the cement for ABS (black sewer pipe).

If you have flexible PVC, then there is a special cement for that as well but would use the same primer.

The Red cement is not the correct one, I believe it's for hot water applications.

Last edited by reef_doug; 12/24/2007 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12/25/2007, 03:35 AM
Registered Member

well i got the cement its for water applications and the color is blue. i wll start my build thread in a while couple off weeks just planing on how i will do it all. So far i got about 6 feet of schedule 40 white pvc and two unions and two 90 degree elbows some bulk heads and a hole saw to drill my sump. I am going with 1.5 inch drain and two 3/4 returns. The tank will be a 180 and sump is a 70g.

Thanks guys for your help. in the next 2 weeks i will repaint the stand since its been store for almost a year the pain i had done needs to be retouched.
Old 12/25/2007, 07:42 PM
Just an Average Joe

you've been to my house already

If you want to set up a time/day during the week, I'll spend a couple hours with you going over plumbing basics and certain "tricks of the trade" that should get you started on your project.

Knowledge is free here