Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/03/2007, 09:22 PM
Just an Average Joe

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMorris
I had a great time and picked up some great corals. It was a pleasure helping out on this one Kevin and I am looking forward to next year. I can even get you a bigger screen if we need it!

For those of you who never got the chance to meet Dave Morris, please allow me to introduce him (he is kinda one of those "behind the scenes" guys who never get full credit for what they do)
Well, Dave contacts me a few weeks before RAP and completely and unconditionally volunteers to run our audio/video production for the presentations. Not only that, but he volunteered to supply all the professional equipment for RAP, free of charge!
Some of you may not have noticed, but the screen, projector, system management, etc. were all supplied by Dave.
DAVE, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TAKING THAT EXTRA STEP FOR ALL OF US! RAP WAS THAT MUCH MORE ENJOYABLE FOR EVERYONE AS A DIRECT RESULT OF YOUR EFFORTS!
THANK YOU!
Old 09/12/2007, 11:50 PM
Premium Member

It was my pleasure to help. Looking forward to next year for sure!
Old 11/23/2007, 05:00 PM
Worker Drone

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefMeister2
We attracted over 2,000 people for this one-day event...this is unprecedented!
Over 2000? Awesome! RAP08 has a lofty goal, and with the help of the RAP08 volunteers I hope they'll be able to meet or exceed those attendance numbers!

Quote:
You deserve an annual expo for the marine hobby... convention/conference/swap/trade/consumer show, whatever you want to call it.
I WANT TO BLOW THIS THING EVEN BIGGER! THIS SHOULD BE A TWO DAY EVENT, IN A LARGER BUILDING, MORE SPEAKERS, MORE VENDORS, MORE GIVEAWAYS, YOU NAME IT...
IF YOU GUYS SUPPORT IT THEN THE SKY'S THE LIMIT!
I agree. THIS thing SHOULD be blown EVEN BIGGER! An even bigger and better RAP08! All the suggestions that were made for RAP08 should help make it even better.

RAP is a great tradition and I'm happy to see it grow as the years go on. I am happy to see RAP fulfill it's goal of education, camaraderie and furthering the vision and mission of SCMAS.

Here's to a great RAP08!

Be an IT consultant!
Old 11/23/2007, 05:05 PM
Crawfish Eating Reefer

Did RC just lag big time for a post to show up 2 months later?

lol jk
Old 11/23/2007, 05:52 PM
Worker Drone

Quote:
Originally posted by Scissorhand
Did RC just lag big time for a post to show up 2 months later?

lol jk
Although RC does lag from time to time, no, it wasn't them this time.

I was just going through some of the suggestions that were made for RAP 08 and saw this post. I thought the suggestion to make RAP bigger/better/improved was a good one, so I thought I'd reiterate that.

Not sure that a 2 day event makes a lot of sense, however that's something I'm sure the RAP steering committee will hash out.

Another suggestion might be to have a previously established accounting method, though, that way there won't be any questions as to how much was made from the vendors, raffles, admissions or expenses.

Again, their committee will handle that, I'm sure. They have the wisdom gained from having things handled poorly last time, so...

Little detail as to what will be this year, though, so the developments should be interesting...

Be an IT consultant!
Old 11/29/2007, 06:46 AM
Just an Average Joe

We have gone from NONE to now TWO premier shows for the west coast, right here in our own backyard! (one in April and one in October) Even better, it looks like both shows are going to be two day events.

All politics aside, this a great time to be a reefer in Southern California!

Old 11/29/2007, 11:51 AM
Worker Drone

Quote:
We have gone from NONE to now TWO premier shows for the west coast, right here in our own backyard! (one in April and one in October) Even better, it looks like both shows are going to be two day events.

All politics aside, this a great time to be a reefer in Southern California!

But I thought your PRIVATE event was "THE" "PREMIER " event?

You keep telling people that you are putting on the private event so that the hobby can get more exposure.

It couldn't get the same exposure as a continuation of RAP?

Of COURSE it could...

Or is it that you feel the need to line your pockets takes greater precedence?

RAP was SUPPOSED to be entirely voluntary and SOLELY on behalf of the club. Or did you forget that? Conveniently?

And although not very large at this point, we also have the Coral Farmers Market in February. Don't count that event out, either...

Be an IT consultant!
Old 11/29/2007, 12:03 PM
Fantasy Coral

I'd consider CFM & RAP "Premier" events.....................

Not sure how one can call an event "Premier" when it hasn't even taken place before........................it may just fall flat on it's face..........
Old 11/29/2007, 12:30 PM
Just an Average Joe

Ahh yes, sorry folks, I totally forgot....
Coral Farmer's Market is in February and from what I can tell, will be bigger and better than ever!

Wow, so now we've got February, April and October filled with huge events. This is simply amazing!

Captain Quirk,
the distribution of proceeds is hardly any of your business.
Do you question where the proceeds for CFM go...or any other business for that matter? Your behavior is highly inappropriate so please refrain from flaming every post I make. Please!
Old 11/29/2007, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

I hope RAP is as good next year as it was this past year. Looking forward to it.
Old 11/29/2007, 01:04 PM
Sannin

Hopefully we get more reefers than firefighters this year. That was fun thought.
Old 11/29/2007, 01:05 PM
Worker Drone

Quote:
Captain Quirk,
the distribution of proceeds is hardly any of your business.
Only when proceeds gained on the behalf of parties don't go TO those parties (and especially when one of those parties is an organization I belong to). Or, when those parties monies are used without oversight, accounting or authorization.

Speaking hypothetically, of course.

Yes, "YOUR" event is a PRIVATE event, and where the money goes is really none of my business.

I will note, however, that *I* was not the one who mentioned the distribution of proceeds... From this event or the original RAP. That was you.
Quote:

Do you question where the proceeds for CFM go...or any other business for that matter?
No. As stated above, *I* DIDN'T.

For the record, CFM is a legitimate business. Founded from another event with the other event's organizers/owners PERMISSION.

Whereas "your" event is, um... Well, let's just say it isn't original and you didn't have permission... And I'm pretty sure the folks running SW CFM didn't try to get business for their event by posing as the other event.
Quote:
Your behavior is highly inappropriate
Oh, JEEESUS... MY BEHAVIOR IS HIGHLY INAPPROPRIATE?

You've been patting yourself on the back for SOOOO long, playing against people's sympathies and playing the martyr... "Doing it for everyone else"... Excuse me while I wipe the vomit from my lip...

The "I" in KevIn shows through more and more every day, should someone decide to look.
Quote:
so please refrain from flaming every post I make. Please!
I don't flame every post you make. Don't make blanket statements...

Be an IT consultant!
Old 11/29/2007, 01:09 PM
Just an Average Joe

Quote:
Originally posted by Orochimaru
Hopefully we get more reefers than firefighters this year. That was fun thought.

Ohh, believe me.....even though it was hot out, I was sweating it FAR more than anyone else.

A total cancelation would have cost me (personally) tens of thousands of dollars even though I was a volunteer

edit:
Captain Quirk: You are losing it my friend, please just walk away from the keyboard
Old 11/29/2007, 01:12 PM
Worker Drone

Quote:
Originally posted by All Delight
I hope RAP is as good next year as it was this past year. Looking forward to it.
I don't have many details, however it looks to be pretty close to the kind of event that happened in 2K7. The timing is an issue, though, as someone *cough* booked a VERY similar event in the same location at a "better" time as agreed to by the club *cough*...

In all seriousness, I think the 2K8 event will be a lot of fun, as well, and probably go a bit smoother as we (and someone else) learned from some of the mistakes...

I think that once things start gearing up for the event there will be a lot of feedback being shot back and forth to improve things a bit. There's a LOT of good info on what people thought about the 2K7 event, and I'm sure it will all be sifted through again as the date draws near.

Be an IT consultant!
Old 11/29/2007, 01:18 PM
Worker Drone

Quote:
Reefmeister2 said:

Ohh, believe me.....even though it was hot out, I was sweating it FAR more than anyone else.

A total cancelation would have cost me (personally) tens of thousands of dollars even though I was a volunteer
HOW do you figure it would have cost you PERSONALLY? Please explain.

And you were a volunteer? You mean that RAP was a CLUB event and you weren't supposed to have any personal gain from it?

Wow. How odd that "Promoted by KTA" showed up on every badge (and almost everywhere else I could think of for that matter).

That's SOME volunteering!
Quote:

edit:
Captain Quirk: You are losing it my friend, please just walk away from the keyboard
FORMER friend. You need to remind yourself WHY THAT IS...

Be an IT consultant!
Old 11/29/2007, 02:06 PM
Just an Average Joe

Bruce,
I have no animosities against you.
For whatever reason you seem to believe as fact, things that were fabricated merely to harm. I do not respond to such ludicrous accusations any more than you should believe with such vigor.

To answer your question:

volunteer:
I dedicated an entire year of my life to RAP '07 molding it into what I "thought" was the best for everyone involved. I simply did the best that I could do. If you are unhappy with the way things turned out, please don't go to whatever event I'm involved with in the future, that is your choice. But PLEASE refrain from spreading gossip merely to sabotage one event over the other.

These are ALL great things happening in our neck of the woods. All great for the hobby in general, whatever corporation is involved (yes, all three are corps) should have little bearing as to the services provided.

But most of all, please leave personal attacks to PMs and other private communication channels. This back-and-forth banter will only serve to shut down ANOTHER great thread. Causing this thread to close harms only SCMAS and benefits no one, do we not at least agree there?
That's a rhetorical question, Bruce, please just let it be.....please

Last edited by ReefMeister2; 11/29/2007 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11/29/2007, 02:21 PM
RC Mod

I think that certain parties need to step away from the keyboard and take their personal issue off of the board. This is a warning. As a service to the club, I am posting a warning rather than closing the thread.

Posting privileges on Reef Central will be reviewed for possible revokation is this sort of behavior continues.

"You guys confuse me...." ~ mhurley

"So does Sesame Street." ~ BrianD
Old 11/29/2007, 03:01 PM
Just an Average Joe

Thank you Griss,

I agree 100%

(fingers lifting)
Old 11/29/2007, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
First of all, I don't know anybody in SCMAS personally, I didn't this year nor have I in the past ever attended any RAP. And while I have bigger concerns in my life besides the problems of one ex-president and a small club...

Although it was quite easy to form an opinion about all of the events that conspired behind the recent held RAP I have been, up until now, able to stay above of the fray. This post is just too much though.

Any one person claiming to have a potential liability for thousands of dollars for a club sponsored event is either "not very bright" (in an attempt to use a polite phrase) or blatantly crooked and intentionally looking to position himself (inspite all insistants otherwise). It's amazing how much self-denial people can live with...

And for the record, I may now just atend the next RAP but I certainly won't be attending any other events referenced in this thread!
Old 11/29/2007, 05:40 PM
RC Mod

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...4#post11280854

"You guys confuse me...." ~ mhurley

"So does Sesame Street." ~ BrianD