Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/13/2007, 01:54 AM
Registered Member

Unhappy HOB Overflow Dependable Good Flow?

I'm not proud of owning a HOB overflow but I am proud that it gets my water to a EuroReef Skimmer. The HOB I am currently using is a Tom's Aquatic lifter. Does anyone know of a real dependable HOB unit that I need not worry about incase of a power outage? Let me clarify that I have never been worried about my sump overflowing rather that my return pumps water in faster then my overflow can get it to the sump.

Tank Specks- 135 Gallon reef with 50 Gallon Tru Vue Sump
Old 08/13/2007, 02:54 AM
Registered Member

As long as you have the aqua lifter pump for remove bubbles, you're be just fine with that overflow.
Old 08/13/2007, 02:56 AM
Registered Member

I would recommend the CPR overflows. My friend have one since 2003 and works great in his opinion.
Old 08/13/2007, 10:05 AM
Moved On

I wouldn't.... CPR overflows are notorious for breaking siphon and flooding.

You're better off using a u-tube type overflow or build one yourself.
Old 08/13/2007, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

I've tried 2 different U-tubes over the years, and the one that's been rock solid is Americle. My spelling may be off, but it's been a bunch of years now. I had bought a non-name brand from Premium aquatics as my lfs didn't have any more Americles in stock, and I couldn't wait. What a mistake!
Old 08/13/2007, 11:01 AM
Moved On

FWIW you can build one out of PVC pipes and elbows for less than $10 that will be more reliable and work better than the CPR AND you won't even need an Aqualifter pump to make it work properly.
Old 08/14/2007, 01:02 AM
Registered Member

dhnguyen,

Can you go into detail as to how to build my own HOB overflow?
Old 08/14/2007, 01:34 AM
Moved On

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=2

halfway down this page look at the pics posted by Aquayne_wv

Here are mine

Old 08/14/2007, 02:11 AM
Moved On

Here are some more pics of the DIY overflow

Old 08/14/2007, 03:10 AM
Premium Member

I ran a CPR overflow for over a year, and it scared me. The aqualifters would quit working every 6 months like clockwork, and I always kept a spare pump around. Whenever the overflow started gurgling, I would check the aqualifter, and in some cases, it was PUMPING BACKWARDS!.

It made me very nervous and I will only go with built in overflows from now on.

Stu
Old 08/14/2007, 08:18 AM
Registered Member

im sorry but that DIY overflow with all the pvc is horrible to look at, unless you are Sanford and son. if you dont want to drill your tank, the CPR overflow works fine with the aqua lifter. i used one for years. but now i do nothing have RR tanks. and if you dont want to use a aqualifter yu can simply use a powerhead although it will spit air in your tank no and then. the real solution is drilling the tank, anything else is just a band aid.
Old 08/14/2007, 01:58 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by krowleey
im sorry but that DIY overflow with all the pvc is horrible to look at, unless you are Sanford and son. if you dont want to drill your tank, the CPR overflow works fine with the aqua lifter. i used one for years. but now i do nothing have RR tanks. and if you dont want to use a aqualifter yu can simply use a powerhead although it will spit air in your tank no and then. the real solution is drilling the tank, anything else is just a band aid.
Dude... It's all in how you built it. On my new 125g setup I am setting up, the PVC pipes will be painted black and stay flushed against the tank's back (which is also black). It will be far less intrusive than a plastic box hanging in your tank will ever be.

Not everyone is comfortable with drilling a tank nor want to spend the money to have a glass shop do it. It is obvious also that you don't know anything about HOB overflows as you cannot simply just use a powerhead to replace an Aqualifter pump in the CPR as that would be a disaster in the making.

The CPR overflow is by far THE worse HOB overflow out there due to its design. The u-tube overflow is much better and more reliable.

Properly setup, a HOB overflow will work without any issues.
Old 08/14/2007, 02:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dhnguyen
Dude... It's all in how you built it. On my new 125g setup I am setting up, the PVC pipes will be painted black and stay flushed against the tank's back (which is also black). It will be far less intrusive than a plastic box hanging in your tank will ever be.

Not everyone is comfortable with drilling a tank nor want to spend the money to have a glass shop do it. It is obvious also that you don't know anything about HOB overflows as you cannot simply just use a powerhead to replace an Aqualifter pump in the CPR as that would be a disaster in the making.

The CPR overflow is by far THE worse HOB overflow out there due to its design. The u-tube overflow is much better and more reliable.

Properly setup, a HOB overflow will work without any issues.
Amen.
Old 08/14/2007, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

Re: HOB Overflow Dependable Good Flow?

Quote:
Originally posted by cboberg
Let me clarify that I have never been worried about my sump overflowing rather that my return pumps water in faster then my overflow can get it to the sump.
If the problem is that the return pumps too fast, why not just add a $6 ball valve to the pump return and cut back the flow a bit? Seems silly to mess with the overflow if it's not the problem.
Old 08/14/2007, 03:44 PM
Premium Member

"The CPR overflow is by far THE worse HOB overflow out there due to its design"

Although I said bad things about the CPR HOB overflow due to it "scaring me" It is NOT 100% dependable BUT it actually IS the best design from a flow standpoint.

It can flow a lot of water when it is running properly.

Stu
Old 08/14/2007, 03:48 PM
Registered Member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Rolls Royce of HOB overflows: Lifereef. Same basic design as other u-tubes, but materials and build quality is second to none.

I was fortunate enough to find a used one and it's been rock solid reliable from day one (knock on wood )
Old 08/14/2007, 03:57 PM
Moved On

Agreed with the above statement BUT $90+ is a bit hard to swallow for what amount to nothing more than 2 plastic boxes and a couple u tubes.

D.
Old 08/14/2007, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

Very true, but most people probably wouldn't mind paying a few extra bucks rather than coming home to a flooded room.

I guess my view is if you can track down a used Lifereef go for it.
Old 08/14/2007, 11:04 PM
Premium Member

I've got two HOBs one from the now defunct DLS Aquatics in Toledo that's 15+ years old and a newer one that's similar.

Keep the U tubes and filter sponges clean and I've never had a problem with the exception of unsupervised teenagers... The u tube needs to be matched to the flow of the return pump and bubbles are continuously washed through and never build up.

As far as I'm concerned the biggest downfall with these two is the extra space behind the tanks. That said my newest tank is an AGA 120RR and the overflows take up a lot of room in the tank.... I'm going to glue on some Monti Cap frags to help hide them...

Tim

Press "1" for English.
Press "2" to disconnect until you learn to speak English.
Old 08/15/2007, 12:26 AM
Premium Member

I have had a Pro-Clear HOB overflow running for 3 years now. Not a single problem. I would buy one again if needed.
Old 08/15/2007, 03:10 AM
Registered Member

sorry to jump in,but what you are saying,is that with these diy overflows i can get rid of my chep overflow box?

Ron
Old 08/15/2007, 05:29 AM
Registered Member

also just how nosiy are those diy's overflows?
Old 08/15/2007, 08:28 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by t11t5
I have had a Pro-Clear HOB overflow running for 3 years now. Not a single problem. I would buy one again if needed.
Now that you say it my second one may be a Pro Clear...

Press "1" for English.
Press "2" to disconnect until you learn to speak English.
Old 08/15/2007, 11:45 AM
Rubberman

I have a couple u-tube style that worked well for years. But looking at the boxes now I'd not use these again without replacing them. Seems both are in pretty bad shape from the UV put out by the MH over the years.

The tubes are fine, just the boxes are yellow, cracked and hazed.

SteveU
Old 08/16/2007, 01:26 AM
Registered Member

so what is the point in the U on the pvc style i just have about 1in of pipe under water and as long as there is water above it no problems as well as this alows it to stop so that it dont over flow the sump and if it stops and sump return keep running it is sectioned off so that no much water go in the tank so it dont over flow as for pump burning up there is always just enough water in with it to keep it from happening