Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers

Old 12/05/2007, 09:06 PM
Premium Member

Frag Bleaching. STN? HELP!

On November 20, I added a few frags to my reef that I got from a friend. I am having problems with one of them, but the others are doing fine. The mother colony of the one that is giving me problems was sold to her as a "pineapple coral". I am uncertain of its species, but it is an Acropora, and my frag is roughly 1" long. Its just bleaching in random spots, mainly around the corallites, and it has bleached somewhat at the base, where I glued it. I just don't get it. I see no evidence of red bugs, but I am worried it may have AEFW. I did a Lugol's dip and blew the hell out of it with a turkey baster, but I see no evidence of these either (I pray to God its not). I was worried it got stung by the milli in transit, because all of the frags were brought to me in one bag, but the bleaching is not just in one area - its in random places. Her mother colony is showing no evidence of bleaching, but its also showing no PE from what I can gather. The frag that I have did have PE the first two days I had it, but since then there has been none. Does ANYBODY have any idea as to what I can do to save this guy? When I dipped it, I noticed several sphaeromatid isopods or Sand Skaters (thanks for the ID page Melev) fall off, but I just am not seeing any evidence of anything externally that could be bothering it. Any guesses? Everything else in the tank looks excellent, knock on wood.

What the world really needs is a zero tolerance policy on ignorance.

He who limps is still walking.
Old 12/08/2007, 01:22 PM
Premium Member

bump

What the world really needs is a zero tolerance policy on ignorance.

He who limps is still walking.
Old 12/08/2007, 01:52 PM
Catch and release

The best thing to do for it now is not to mess with it (move it, dip it etc......) and to let it get to "feeling better". Providing stability is the most important thing for stressed Acros. FWIW it's a really bad idea to transport Acros in the same bag and I would let the person you got it from know that in case they don't in a nice way
You can do it by placing all the frags in individual bags inside the big bag.
good luck, Chris